World's most useless gadgets

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:11 pm
The list below inspired me to start a thread about useless gadgets. Tell us about some that you have encountered. Pictures would great for illustration purposes!

I, for one, disagree about #20. I have a back scratcher, and think it's great!
Laughing

---------------------------------

Here is the full list of top twenty post pointless gadgets, according to Brits:

1. Electric nail files

2. Laser guided scissors

3. Electric candles

4. Soda stream

5. Foot spas

6. Fondue set

7. Hair crimpers

8. Egg boiler

9. Electric fluff remover

10. Electric carving knife

11. Trouser press

12. Face steamers

13. Teasmaid

14. Mini disk player

15. Facial tanners

16. Egg slicer

17. Electric tin openers

18. Yoghurt makers

19. Towel warmer

20. Back scratcher
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:21 pm
Okay, who can remember those knives that used to be advertised on TV that said "never needs sharpening"? Were they Ginsu? I can't remember, but we had some and they were garbage. They didn't stay sharp for that long.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:26 pm
How about toast tongs? Laughing

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/42/b/AAAAAhMn4w8AAAAAAEK1Rg.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
Here's one I can definitely remember and trying out.

The Flowbee haircutting system!

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~marshall/flowbee.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:31 pm
Popeil's Pocket Fisherman

http://au.truveo.com/Pocket-Fisherman/id/3832899250
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:32 pm
http://alvet-enterprises.com/library/GinsuEssentials10pc2.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:05 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Popeil's Pocket Fisherman

Yup, I can remember that one, but haven't used it. You?

Dj, we had a set that looked an awful like that. We got burned on that one!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:08 pm
Naw...

Kansas fish are too smart for that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
Let me know when you find a use for a singe hole paper punch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:38 pm
Remember the Hot Dog Electric chair. I think it was inherently dangerous to hook up a hot dog to a series of electric probes and the turn the juice on the poor bastards. I can still hear em scream..We had one and when the kids were real young the boy reached for a hot dog while it was still being fried . The little microswitch that shut off the power should the lid be lifted, worked (that time). I got so freked at what that thing could do that I threw the whole thing out right after that lunch. My mom kept buying us all this crap and we hadda keep some of it just to keep her from crying and imoposing further guilt on me.

She got us an electric crepe iron

WHAOTTA PIZZARIA

A really industrial sized "Cuisinart kinda thingy"that could grind and chew up cinder blocks. It had a motor that could power a small vehicle. I think she got this at some restaurant supply company.

A bread maker (That was a truly stupid invention because everything looked the same)

OH yeh, one of the best was an electric Pizzeli maker(SP?). It made 4 pizzelis at once and , had they made a bigger one we could have made imprinted ice cream waffle cones (I never told my mom lest she go on a hunt in some bakery supply warehouse where they sold ice cream cone machines)

We gave most all of that **** away to our local Neighborhood services organization , along with the multi functioned and temperature controllable FONDUE MAKER. We could make fondue that ranged in temperatures from melted Daffinois cheese all the way to molten lead
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
roger wrote:
Let me know when you find a use for a singe hole paper punch.

Hey, I've got one of those kicking around somewhere! They"re good for if you only want to punch one hole. :wink: Laughing

farmerman wrote:
Remember the Hot Dog Electric chair.

Nope, sorry never seen or heard of that one, but it sounds scary!

Quote:
She got us an electric crepe iron

I've seen crepe irons, but not electric ones. I can't imagine the advantage. Laughing

Quote:
A really industrial sized "Cuisinart kinda thingy"that could grind and chew up cinder blocks. It had a motor that could power a small vehicle. I think she got this at some restaurant supply company.

Yup, noisy as all heck, aren't they? I had an industrial strength one like that. Was supposed to make soup, and the whole nine yards.

Quote:
A bread maker (That was a truly stupid invention because everything looked the same)

We tried one of those for a while (hasn't everyone?). I guess it was alright and the bread smells nice and all, but the dough to stick in it was more than buying a ready-made loaf to begin with!

Quote:
OH yeh, one of the best was an electric Pizzeli maker(SP?). It made 4 pizzelis at once

Sorry, no idea. Anyone?

Quote:
We gave most all of that **** away to our local Neighborhood services organization , along with the multi functioned and temperature controllable FONDUE MAKER.

Yup, the graveyard of all things fantastic. Laughing Who can forget fondues?

Thanks, FM.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:30 pm
OHMIGOD, I found a hot dogger. Its THE PRESTO HOT DOGGER. Look at the evil thing and this is the one we had, the very one. Hot dogs are impaled and become the "short" in the circuit, thus translating the amperes into the meat and effectively cooking it until it is dead and may GAWD have mercy on its soul. Scary sucker eh? Your little kids life hangs on the ability of one stupid microswitch to shut it off when the lid opens . This is a Mwah Ha Ha type of appliance.

Remember that many hair dryres come with instyructions not to use while in the bathtub.HOT DOGGER.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:42 pm
I disagree on #3. I have electric candles on my Buddhist altar and they give more light and beat the dripping wax type any day.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:46 pm
I also like the pocket fisherman. It's the bait and the cast - not the pole - that brings the fish in. I've used one and it works just fine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:53 pm
"The poorest carpenters always blame their tools"

I once used a pocket fisherman and was catching bass just like any rod. The only thing is that theres no action on the rod tip
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
Thanks guys, for your personal accounts on products. There's bound to be differences of opinions on some of them, as was mine on the back scratcher.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
http://www.cooking.com.edgesuite.net/images/products/shprodde/125859.jpg

Poor banannas...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:02 am
http://www.southwestmedical.com/images/products/images/NCMNC28227.jpg

My parents bought several of these. The idea is that you have a powered can opener but not one taking up counter space. Trouble is, these are rechargeable, and if you store them in a drawer, they discharge...

I don't wanna wait a half hour to charge the Gizmo just to open my pork & beans....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:51 am
Re: World's most useless gadgets
Reyn wrote:
10. Electric carving knife

Useless? I think not.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:57 am
Countertop pizza "oven"

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/images/03430_PizzazPizza_B.jpg

And Cheezits, could you at least put some meat on that pizza???
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » World's most useless gadgets
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 03:11:49