Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:45 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,654 • Replies: 29
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
I walked away many times, in a younger day, beginning when I was twenty. The way I differ from the people in the story is in degree of absence. I eventually came back. Possibly, if I had gotten a real foothold someplace, I might have been among the truly missing also.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:12 am
I once was lost, but now am found..........
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:13 am
Chumly wrote:
I once was lost, but now am found..........

Amazing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 09:38 am
I've always been curious about the happy people who disappear.

The dissociative fugue state: Forgetting one's own identity
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
Who -?
What-?
Where am I?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
Unfortunately I'm too attractive to merely disappear into the woodwork.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 10:35 am
to disappear would work
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
We can't discount the possibility that some of those missing have been abducted by aliens. Perhaps they are currently on their way to or even residing now in different star systems.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:08 pm
or merely enjoying of glass of intergalactic toilet merlot after a particularly thorough and gentle anal probe....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
Lost from one perspective (that of the abandoned) is hiding from the other (that of the escapee).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:35 pm
Re: Missing: People Who Just Walk Away
Quote:
"All he has to do is call me and say he is all right, and we wouldn't have to hound him like a fugitive

Quote:
Instances of someone intentionally disappearing and never again contacting family are extremely rare, she said.

Quote:
In one case, a man missing for decades was found on a West Texas ranch where he'd gone to live his cowboy dream.

In another instance, a woman had left her family in the South to take a new life and work at Wal-Mart in the North.

Quote:
"It seems like most of them are men, and they just want to be with a different family or have a completely different lifestyle," Workman said.

Quote:
... assuming a new identity.

Quote:
When confronted, he told the deputy he preferred the freedom of panhandling to the stresses of his previous life.

Quote:
"I ain't lost. I'm doing fine," a smiling McAdams, 70, told the Chronicle last week at an assisted-living center.

Thanks for posting this, Edgar, although I found it quite sad.

The above snippets of sentences and phrases from the article stood out in my mind. They generally paint a picture with a similar pattern.

They tell me that a certain number of these missing people are unhappy and disappointed with their former lives. They are looking for escape and the hope of something "better", which may, or may not, exist.

Some of these folks may actually be suffering from depression, which is clouding their judgement and making them feel that they are in a hopeless situation. Some may just be looking for "change" from an endless routine that they can't seem to break.

The tragedy of it are the family that they leave behind in their wake, never knowing (in some cases) of what the heck happened to their loved one. It's too bad that the paths of communication seems to have been totally severed, otherwise, they may be able to talk out what exactly the problem is.

To me, this is what it all boils down to with the situations where people are walking away voluntarily. They were unable to face the family that they intended to leave behind, resulting in no closure for either side.

I would think this is the worst situation - not knowing why, or what has happened. With the exception of violent relationships, one should be able to tell family why one is leaving.

In the cases of men (who seem to be in the majority) walking away from their wife and kids, they are abandoning their financial responsibility to them, and should be held accountable. Simply walking away and starting "afresh" (perhaps with a new family) is not acceptable.

Sometimes life presents challenges which can seem to be overwhelming at times, but to simply walk away when things get a little tough is not going to help. One can merely transfer the troubles from one situation to another, because the orgin of the problem may lie within.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:40 pm
I could use some help on the farm. No ask, no tell.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:45 pm
got any herb? (as he packs a bag)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:58 pm
Reyn wrote:
Quote:
"All he has to do is call me and say he is all right, and we wouldn't have to hound him like a fugitive

Quote:
Instances of someone intentionally disappearing and never again contacting family are extremely rare, she said.

Quote:
In one case, a man missing for decades was found on a West Texas ranch where he'd gone to live his cowboy dream.

In another instance, a woman had left her family in the South to take a new life and work at Wal-Mart in the North.

Quote:
"It seems like most of them are men, and they just want to be with a different family or have a completely different lifestyle," Workman said.

Quote:
... assuming a new identity.

Quote:
When confronted, he told the deputy he preferred the freedom of panhandling to the stresses of his previous life.

Quote:
"I ain't lost. I'm doing fine," a smiling McAdams, 70, told the Chronicle last week at an assisted-living center.

Thanks for posting this, Edgar, although I found it quite sad.

The above snippets of sentences and phrases from the article stood out in my mind. They generally paint a picture with a similar pattern.

They tell me that a certain number of these missing people are unhappy and disappointed with their former lives. They are looking for escape and the hope of something "better", which may, or may not, exist.

Some of these folks may actually be suffering from depression, which is clouding their judgement and making them feel that they are in a hopeless situation. Some may just be looking for "change" from an endless routine that they can't seem to break.

The tragedy of it are the family that they leave behind in their wake, never knowing (in some cases) of what the heck happened to their loved one. It's too bad that the paths of communication seems to have been totally severed, otherwise, they may be able to talk out what exactly the problem is.

To me, this is what it all boils down to with the situations where people are walking away voluntarily. They were unable to face the family that they intended to leave behind, resulting in no closure for either side.

I would think this is the worst situation - not knowing why, or what has happened. With the exception of violent relationships, one should be able to tell family why one is leaving.

In the cases of men (who seem to be in the majority) walking away from their wife and kids, they are abandoning their financial responsibility to them, and should be held accountable. Simply walking away and starting "afresh" (perhaps with a new family) is not acceptable.

Sometimes life presents challenges which can seem to be overwhelming at times, but to simply walk away when things get a little tough is not going to help. One can merely transfer the troubles from one situation to another, because the orgin of the problem may lie within.

That's all true enough, in many cases, reyn. Another aspect, as one such person told me, is, "I left my family. I could go home to them and have a job and everything. But, I just didn't fit in." He was so uncomfortably out of place, he had to leave. In fact, that is pretty much the reason I kept leaving.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
[...]one such person told me, is, "I left my family. I could go home to them and have a job and everything. But, I just didn't fit in." He was so uncomfortably out of place, he had to leave. [...]

I hope at least this person found the courage to face those he was leaving and provide the reason for what he was about to do.

Whatever the reason, I believe they are entitled to know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:13 pm
I didn't ask those questions. I met him at the Manpower office in Kansas City. He gave me a place to sleep until I got enough money to get a place of my own. After two or three days, we never again crossed paths.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:23 pm
Lost in space
Lost in time
Everything is lost and found
Over and over again

Chumly
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:46 pm
Decent poetry Chumly.

I cannot ever just leave if I feel that I am needed. At least that's the feeling. I suspect we are all not as necessary as we feel. It's a nice feeling, I guess.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 04:47 pm
Chumly wrote:
Lost in space
Lost in time
Everything is lost and found
Over and over again

Hmm, doesn't that depend on your definition of "lost" and "found"?

Or, perhaps, you're being rather philosophical today? :wink:
0 Replies