Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
can you help me with these calculus problems please?

1)a) how do you write an equation for a graph obtained by vertically stretching the graph of y = x^2 by a factor of 2 followed by a vertical upward shift of 1 unit. sketch the graph.
b) what is the equation if the order of the transformations (stretching and shifting) in part a is interchanged?
c) are the two graphs the same? explain the effect of reversing the order of transformations?

2) if f(n) is the number of students in calculus class whose birthday is on the nth day of the year, is the function f invertible? why or why not?

3) is this function f invertible? if f(w) is the cost of mailing a letter weighing w grams?

4) determine functions f and g such that h(x) = f(g(x)). note: there is more than one correct answer. do not choose f(x) = x or g(x) = x
h(x) = x^3 + 1

5) the cost of producing q articles is given by the function C = f(q) = 100 + 2q
a) what is the formula for the inverse function?
b) explain in practical terms what the inverse function tells us?

6) how do you complete the following table with valuesfor the functions f, g, and h givent that:
a) f is symmetric about the y -axis
b) g is symmetric about the origin
c) h is the composition h(x) = g(f(x))

chart:
x: -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3
f(x): 0, 2, 2, 0, ?, ?, ?
g(x): 0, 2, 2, 0, ?, ?, ?
h(x): ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,707 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
Of course we won't do your homework, but there's no problem asking if your methodology is correct. So, how would you solve these problems? Where will you start? Which equations will you try out?
0 Replies

karen2001

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:59 pm
math
sorry about that. I'm new to this forum. Can i just post questions that i really need help with here??? Would you be able to guide me through each problem please??

1) a flight from an airport in washington to laguardia airport in new york has to circle laguardia several times before being alowed to land. can you teach me how to plot a graph of the distance of the plane from washington against time from the moment of take off until landing?
=================
2)which if any of these functions could be exponential ? how do you find formulas for these functions?

the chart:
x: - 2, -1, 0 , 1, 2
f(x): 12,17,20, 21,18
g(x): 16, 24, 36, 54, 81
h(x): 37, 34, 31,28, 25
==================
3) what 's the possible formula for the functions for these points plotted on a graph? (0,3) and (2,12)?
=====
4) in the early 1960's radioactive strontium-90 was released during atmosphereic testign of nuclear weapons and got into the bones of ppl alive at the same time. if the half life of strontium 90 is 29 years , what fraction of the strontium 90 absorbed in 1960 remained in ppl's bones in 1990?
====================
5)a) how do you write an equation for a graph obtained by vertically stretching the graph of y = x^2 by a factor of 2 followed by a vertical upward shift of 1 unit. sketch the graph.
b) what is the equation if the order of the transformations (stretching and shifting) in part a is interchanged?
c) are the two graphs the same? explain the effect of reversing the order of transformations?
==========
6)if f(n) is the number of students in calculus class whose birthday is on the nth day of the year, is the function f invertible? why or why not?
is this function f invertible? if f(w) is the cost of mailing a letter weighing w grams?
=====
7) determine functions f and g such that h(x) = f(g(x)). note: there is more than one correct answer. do not choose f(x) = x or g(x) = x
h(x) = x^3 + 1
===========
8) the cost of producing q articles is given by the function C = f(q) = 100 + 2q
a) what is the formula for the inverse function?
b) explain in practical terms what the inverse function tells us?
========
9) how do you complete the following table with valuesfor the functions f, g, and h givent that:
a) f is symmetric about the y -axis
b) g is symmetric about the origin
c) h is the composition h(x) = g(f(x))

chart:
x: -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3
f(x): 0, 2, 2, 0, ?, ?, ?
g(x): 0, 2, 2, 0, ?, ?, ?
h(x): ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Thank you =)
0 Replies

karen2001

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:29 am
help
can anybody help me out with these above questions to start off please?
0 Replies