So I have this crow in the cat carrier.....

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:23 pm
Mo found a crow in my garden today. The crow doesn't look injured but it can't fly. I called the Audobon Society and they were getting ready to close and they didn't seem too interested so now I have this crow in a cat carrier sitting on my driveway.

I gave it some water and some bread but other than protecting it and feeding it I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,599 • Replies: 27
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
Crows a pretty intelligent birds boomer, if it cant fly its probably quite sick and will die soon.

Is there a field or park you can release it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
S/He's really alert though and eating and drinking and seems pretty comfortable. He doesn't look or act ill.

Funny thing -- my neighbor told me that her dad, who lives only a few blocks away, found an injured bird (I don't know what kind) in his yard today. They'd assumed it had flown into a window.

I'm wondering if maybe someone is shooting the with BBs or something.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:41 pm
boomerang wrote:
S/He's really alert though and eating and drinking and seems pretty comfortable. He doesn't look or act ill.

Funny thing -- my neighbor told me that her dad, who lives only a few blocks away, found an injured bird (I don't know what kind) in his yard today. They'd assumed it had flown into a window.

I'm wondering if maybe someone is shooting the with BBs or something.

Well, they are very intelligent birds....mebbe give your crow seeds and fruit, (I think too much bread will clog up its works) and perhaps a little meat, and see how it goes.

If it gets better...great...if it still can't fly, but doesn't die, would you like a great bird? Mebbe build an aviary?

I adore crows, and have always wanted one, so I may be biased!

Your vet will likely be able to figure out what is wrong, if you want to spend money.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:47 pm
Needs better food than bread and water. If he's healthy other than for a wrecked wing or something somebody in your neighborhood could use him as a pet. They can be taught to talk as well as most parrots.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:52 pm
boomerang wrote:

Mebee your right, maybe he flew into a window and was stunned or stunned by a bb gun. If thats the case then a couple of hours in the cat cage will allow him to recover then you can release him.

I'd love to say keep him as a pet but its a wild critter boomer and belongs to the great out doors.

Crows eat meat if they can get it so maybe a little mince steak, plenty of water, not much else you can do I guess.

I once caught a hawk and was gonna train it to hunt, but it died in its cage after a week. (i dont know why it died it just did). I was sad it died in a cage not out in the wild.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:54 pm
I had a raven joke, but I've sworn to tell it nevermore.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:00 pm
I've called the Wildlife department when finding baby squirrels and such. Look in the blue government pages of your phonebook under Wildlife. If there is a university nearby with a vet school, I'd try them next. If still no luck, the University Agriculture Extension office can probably direct you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:03 pm
Oh thank you all!

I have: cantelope, watermelon, pineapple, blueberries, sunflower seed hulls, trail mix with macadamia nuts, almonds and dried cranberries -- is any of this suitable?

What kind of meat? I don't have any raw meat around today but I could get some.

I would really like to see him recover and live the crow life but I'm not completely opposed to (Can we keep him mom? Please? Pleeeeeasssse!)
having his as a pet.

I don't know the first thing about birds. Do they make okay pets to have around kids and other pets?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:09 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh thank you all!

I have: cantelope, watermelon, pineapple, blueberries, sunflower seed hulls, trail mix with macadamia nuts, almonds and dried cranberries -- is any of this suitable?

What kind of meat? I don't have any raw meat around today but I could get some.

I would really like to see him recover and live the crow life but I'm not completely opposed to (Can we keep him mom? Please? Pleeeeeasssse!)
having his as a pet.

I don't know the first thing about birds. Do they make okay pets to have around kids and other pets?

They are omnivores and very opportunistic.

I f Mo wants to go on an insect hunt, the crow might be very grateful! They eat grain as well as seeds. I'd leave out the melons, but the trail mix and berries and nuts and sunflower seeds sound good.

They eat roadkill, so I suspect they are not fussy about their meat!

They are so bright that, should th ecrow live, but not be fit enough to be released, it would likely adapt to the other creatures around it.

They are well armed with those beaks, though.

It is likely covered with lice...so be careful about handling it!

Should it look like staying with you, you'd need parasite treatment for it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:22 pm
There are lots of youtube videos about pet crows.

Heres a site about crow care
http://www.pookachild.com/CrowCare.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
Crows around here seem to favor roadkill.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:36 pm
This just to hand.

Incidentally they (crows and ravens) are being decimated her in the states due to a virus called the West Nile which attacks crows and jays.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Zoology-1354/Keeping-crows-2.htm

West Nile virus (or WNV) is a virus of the family Flaviviridae; part of the Japanese encephalitis (JE) antigenic complex of viruses, it is found in both tropical and temperate regions. It mainly infects birds, but is known to infect humans, horses, dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, and domestic rabbits. The main route of human infection is through the bite of an infected mosquito.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nile_virus

What are the symptoms of West Nile disease?

Most people who are infected have no symptoms or may experience mild illness, such as a fever and headache, before fully recovering. In some individuals, particularly the elderly, West Nile virus can cause a serious disease that affects the brain called West Nile encephalitis. It can cause permanent neurological damage and be fatal. Symptoms generally occur three to 15 days following the bite of an infected mosquito and range from a slight fever, headache, rash, swollen nodes and conjunctivitis (irritation of the eye) to the rapid onset of a severe headache, high fever, stiff neck, disorientation, muscle weakness, coma or death. Less than 1 percent of persons infected with West Nile virus will develop severe illness.
http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbwestnile.htm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:04 pm
Thank you so much, everyone!

The crow seems to be doing really well. I gave him some trail mix and sunflower seeds and he ate like crazy.

The sun is just now setting and the neighborhood crows are getting active so I've been keeping a close eye on him.

I'm probably stuck with him for the weekend and Monday I'm tied up all day. I'll try to make some calls and at least leave messages so that by Tuesday I'll have some kind of game plan.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 12:09 am
Dadpad's last post should be headed. Crows are the birds that fall most notably to the West Nile Virus. As others have said, crows are omnivores. Just feed it a cariety of whatever you have to spare - but not too much of any one thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:39 am
The crow seems to still be doing fine.

We aren't handeling him or anything. Just keeping an eye on him and giving him food.

The Audubon "hospital" opens at 9 today so I'll probably take him over there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
boomerang wrote:
The crow seems to still be doing fine.

We aren't handeling him or anything. Just keeping an eye on him and giving him food.

The Audubon "hospital" opens at 9 today so I'll probably take him over there.

Onya, Boomer!

They usually die, though...the boids.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
have you considered the very real possibility you may be entertaining a demon unawares?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
It coulds well be some witches familiar.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
Poor crow is not going to live.

He was a fledgling and his leg was fractured beyond repair. He would have never survived in the wild. I asked if he could be mended to the point where he could be kept a a pet and was told that it is illegal to keep crows as pets.

I don't have the heart to tell Mo. He took such splendid care of it.
0 Replies