Other Atomic Models?

Chumly

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:21 pm
Are there other viable models of atomic structure besides the "orbiting" electrons and the "nucleus" of protons/neutrons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,546 • Replies: 19
No top replies

raprap

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:37 pm
The planetary theory of electrons orbiting a nucleus of neutrons and protons is not the modern theory. The present accepted theory is referred to as 'the electron orbital theory." In this theory the only molecular atom that anywhere behaves as a planetary model is monatomic hydrogen.

An early model was called the plum pudding molecule, which viewed an atom as an electron pudding with neutrons and protons as plums in the pudding. Compton's (I believe) experiments with shooting atoms of an inert gas (helium?) with high speed neutrons laid this theory to rest, because an atom had to have a massive nucleus surrounded by a field of electrons.

Rap
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:11 am
Actually it was Rutherford with the gold foil in the Conservatory. He discovered that atoms are mostly empty space. This was deduced from the fat that particles fired at the foil almost always went straight through without deflection.

Here is a new *ahem* theory of the atom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randell_Mills

/Kayyam
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
The modern theory is that the electrons surround the nucleus in a cloud, and the cloud is not necessarily spherical, but takes on various different shapes for different atoms.

Actually, it's a cloud of probability, but that's a story for another day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:44 pm
Quantum atomic theory still viable then?

What about atomic theory as a function frequency/oscillation?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:58 pm
Do you mean pulsing Chum?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:46 pm
Chumly wrote:
Quantum atomic theory still viable then?

What about atomic theory as a function frequency/oscillation?

The wave functions (simplest cast-- f''(x)+nf(x)=0) are consistent with quantum theory. The wave function solution frequencies are quantum multiples (f=2npi) where n is an integer.

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:57 pm
Would you be able to define "simplest cast"?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:25 pm
pardon--two errors first missed the word and second a slight clarification

that should be "simplest case"

& f''(x)+n^2f(x)=0 is a differential equation, meaning that the second derivative of a function plus n^2 times that function is zero. The solution is a sine curve, a pulsating curve that starts at zero and repeats itself at a regular frequency (2npi). n is restricted to integers (e.g. quantum) and is consistent with the wave format of electromagnetism (light, particle mechanics, and electricity).

What is interesting is that quantum mechanics is always applicable--even in baseball--it is just that in baseball the mass is so great that the particle sinusoidal motion is so miniscule that it is not noticeable and baseball is best modeled classically. That is why Willie Mays is considered one of the greatest classical experimental physicists of all times.

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:59 pm
Interesting and funny!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:36 pm
Re: Other Atomic Models?
Chumly wrote:
Are there other viable models of atomic structure besides the "orbiting" electrons and the "nucleus" of protons/neutrons?

I prefer the electron "Cloud" model.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:42 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

It works well on the microscopic scale as electron orbital theory and the Hoffman rules, but when analyzing the ballistics of baseball the electron cloud model is overkill.

Rap
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:02 pm
raprap wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

It works well on the microscopic scale as electron orbital theory and the Hoffman rules, but when analyzing the ballistics of baseball the electron cloud model is overkill.

I think that one went over my head. Smile
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:10 am
Quantum mechanics is not only "viable" but it one of the most well supported physical theories we have. And by support, I mean that it makes myriad verifiable predictions. There is no other theory in the same league. It has lead to many useful inventions including those of the semiconductor revolution.

/Kayyam
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
To any and all:

please illuminate the application of Quantum Mechanics to both the development and the underlying theory of operation as per:

1) the PNP / NPN silicon transistor

2) the silicon diode

and

3) electron flow in a conductor

Thanks muchly!
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:20 am
ha ha! That is for another thread.

/Kayyam
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:01 am
Being it's my thread.......

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~schubert/Course-ECSE-6968%20Quantum%20mechanics/Ch00%20Prelims.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_physics

Amplification of input appreciated (pun)!
0 Replies

Kayyam

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:24 pm
Hmm, well I didn't think you were serious. All three topics are related to the idea of electron conductivity, or band gap. The band gap is the amount of energy required to knock an electron loose. Thus for metals the band gap is small, for insulators it is large and for semiconductors it is somewhere in between. The band gap is a direct consequence of atomic and molecular orbital theory and can be calculated through solution of the Shroedinger equation.

Diodes and transistors are usually silicon based circuit elements which take advantage of the variable conductivity of semiconductors. This is accomplished by doping the semiconductor crystal with impurities.

/Kayyam
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 12:52 am
If I had to look somewhere to say matter, energy and space time (and they are related) aren't what we model them to be - I would look for surprises in the geometry of space time - google "scale relativity" and the "fractal universe"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:42 pm
Kind thanks!
0 Replies