BBB did something really stupid yesterday

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
This year, I finally was successful in growing tomatoes in pots, thanks to Dyslexia's advice. My two vines were full of various stages of ripening tomatoes.

Yesterday, while watering my garden, I noticed some over-ripe tomatoes on the vines in two pots. I plucked them and gave one to Dolly and one to Maddy. The dogs liked them and quickly ate them.

This morning, when I went into my yard to water the plants, I noticed green tomatos all over the patio. I looked at my tomato plants and found many pulled from the vines. The silly dogs were eating them. They didn't like the green ones much but really went after the nearly ripe tomatoes.

I scolded the dogs and they looked at me like I was crazy. After all, I had fed them tomatoes and now I was mad because they were helping themselves.

It's all Dyslexia's fault because he didn't warn me not to pull tomatoes off the vine and feed the dogs.

Dumb BBB!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Eva

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:04 am
No! Dumb Dys!!!

Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:06 am
Eva
Eva wrote:
No! Dumb Dys!!!

Laughing

That's a good idea.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:22 am
Re: BBB did something really stupid yesterday
It was yours.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
...It's all Dyslexia's fault because he didn't warn me not to pull tomatoes off the vine and feed the dogs....

Y'know, it really surprises me. I would have expected Dys to give you complete instructions. He's usually more thorough than that. :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:46 am
Re: BBB did something really stupid yesterday
Eva wrote:
It was yours.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
...It's all Dyslexia's fault because he didn't warn me not to pull tomatoes off the vine and feed the dogs....

Y'know, it really surprises me. I would have expected Dys to give you complete instructions. He's usually more thorough than that. :wink:

Do you suppose Dyslexia doesn't want me to compete with his tomato growing expertise? I'm going to report him to Diane.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:40 am
this is exactly why I have had no strawberries to harvest for a couple of years

one of the dogs figured out that she could help herself at the buffet in the backyard - didn't need me to help her

smart dogs
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:43 am
One of my dogs was fond of the carrots I grew. But, he only dug one when he really wanted to eat it. Mostly he left them alone.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:13 pm
ehBeth wrote:
this is exactly why I have had no strawberries to harvest for a couple of years

one of the dogs figured out that she could help herself at the buffet in the backyard - didn't need me to help her

smart dogs

That dog is a weapon of mass destruction! :wink: Losing your tomatoes are bad enough but losing your strawberries are a disaster.

Did you stop planting strawberries or did you find a way to stop the berry thief?

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
Strawberries are perennials, so the plants are there ... I don't do anything to help or hinder them. I get an occasional berry that Cleo hasn't nabbed, but she lerves lerves lerves her red fruits and veggies. Tomatoes, berries ... red pepper is her latest passion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
One of my dogs was fond of the carrots I grew. But, he only dug one when he really wanted to eat it. Mostly he left them alone.

I've not planted carrots in Albuquerque. But I have discovered a new baby yellow carrot in the stores. They are wonderful. I also discovered that a little maple syrup poured over the cooks yellow carrots are heavenly.

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=19360
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 01:40 pm
Okay, now I know the end of the world is coming soon.
Vegetarian Dogs
Dogs digging up carrots.
Dogs eating Strawberries.
What kind of craziness is this?

When we were yoga-hippies I had an organic garden, this was before the word 'organic' was translated to mean "costs twice as much for half as much.'. I had three kinds of green beans, a couple kinds of peas, as well as butter beans, carrots, lettuce, asparagus, eggplants and I don't how many kinds of squash and tomatos.
I tried Corn.
Once.
Um.
No good.

We made our our own yogurt, bread and soymilk tofu. We dried herbs and made basil pesto by the pint. We parboiled and froze bag after bag of veggies and ate and ate and ate.

We were Vegetarians.

Our dogs, we had at least two all the time, and our cats, about the same number, sometimes more, were definitely, defiantly, not. This despite the hardest efforts of my then spouse to find some completely meat-free substitute that either the boxer, Sophie or the Dobie, Duchess, would touch. She tried sneaking a few carrots in with the Alpo. They ended up untouched at the bottom of the dog dish. She saw Dutch munch on some grass one day and immediately tried adding a little lettuce and celery sprigs. Poor lonely lettuce and celery at the bottom of the bowl.

This was in the days before the Internet. (They did exist, children, I was there.) So she tried various recipes she found in Whole Earth or Yoga Journal or any number of vegetarian sources. She once declared that she would not feed the two anything until they would eat what she offered. That was on a Sunday. Neither dog- and certainly none of the cats- would have any truck with what "she offered'. I sure they thought she had gone mad, but they would be patient.

Sophie would sniff at the bowl and walk away to lay under the Redbud tree. Duchess was more pro-active. She laid down on her side near the dish and tried doing an imitation of a dying dog. Pretty hard to do when you are a fat Doberman. The strike lasted until spouse's mother came to visit on Thursday, grandmothers are the worst, and besides she thought as the dogs did, that we were mad not to partake of the finest food ever to be eaten by humankind, good healthy, slightly underdone, protein-rich MEAT.

My tomatos, carrots, lettuce, eggplant, squash were completely safe from any intrusions from those dogs. If I had offered them tomatos, they would have thought I was joking.

Joe(and those dogs knew a good joke when they saw one.)Nation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:01 pm
WAIT! Aren't tomatoes toxic to dogs? Maybe not, gotta look it up now, geeze. I guess I'm just not meant to work today.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm
I'm with Joe (you're kidding me right?) Nation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:09 pm
heart of romaine - the crunchy bits - both dogs love it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:10 pm
I thought the same, found this:

Quote:
Tomatoes (plant and fruit) contain tomatine, an alkaloid related to solanine. As the fruit ripens, the tomatine is metabolized. Therefore, ripe tomatoes are less likely to be problematic for animals. Clinical signs of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, difficulty breathing, colic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, widely-dilated pupils, paralysis, cardiac effects, central nervous system signs (e.g., ataxia, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures), resulting from cholinesterase inhibition, coma and death. (This information comes from veterinarians, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.) (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are poisonous to humans, although some people are sensitive to the ripe fruit also.)

Tomatoes also contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, with less in unripe (green) tomatoes, and even less in ripe (red) tomatoes.

http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

Sounds like the doggies were smart to forgo the green ones.

My big gallumphy golden retriever loved blueberries. He developed a nose for them, would lead us to them in wild areas in northern Minnesota. He'd contentedly delicately remove them from the bush and munch away as we filled pails -- you had to remain vigilant though or else he'd stick his nose in your pail and whuffle up half the contents (and leave the other half slobbery).

He didn't start out liking them, would just look at us with a half confused and half pitying expression as we picked -- "People, those things are just NOT that interesting. Can we get going already?" -- then tried them but wasn't crazy about them, then developed a taste for them at some point.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:17 pm
I have to dive to keep the dog from snatching up dropped grapes and some other sweet fruits. I have been told they harm the kidneys.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
Grapes and raisins are deadly. A colleague's sheltie died after eating grapes. Vet told her it was the direct cause of death.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 03:14 pm
I had a cat that LOVED black olives, but not to eat. She would bite them a little and toss them around and jump on them.

Joe(Hai JAh!)Nation
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:05 am
Joe Nation
Joe Nation wrote: "This was in the days before the Internet. (They did exist, children, I was there.) So she tried various recipes she found in Whole Earth or Yoga Journal or any number of vegetarian sources."

Whole Earth Catalogue creator, Stuart Brand, and his wife Lois were members of the Berkeley Consumer Cooperative when I was a Board member. They were two of the most fascinating people I knew then. I still have the last issue of the Catalogue, a precious reminder of Stuart's genius.

BBB
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:45 pm
Whole Earth was an evening's entertainment around our place, it seemed to bring a thousand ideas into the room.

And how about the Fox Fire books? I read them all, I think.
(My kids were the only ones going to school with Apple Leather in their lunch bags.)
Oh, and what was the other one? Tassajara Cooking? I'll have to go look, I'm sure it's still in the stack of good cooking. I still cook using that what's nearby and seems to fit method, although I think I need a refresher course.

Why do I have a sudden craving for dahl?

Today, I mostly just steam a bunch of veggies and make a salad to go with the -dare I say it?- the main course of chicken or steak or lamb skewers or fish.

Joe(My Sufi friends would be dismayed at this poor carnivore.)Nation
0 Replies