Growing Potatoes - Dos and don'ts

ttgkeller

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 07:49 pm
I just dug up my "yukon Gold" in July and was wondering if it is too late to plant more and if I can do I have to do anything to the soil before planting? How long do I need to wait to plant them in the same spot?
rach2012

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:15 am
@honey rose cr,
you have to wait until the flowers on the potatoes have died. once this has happened the potatoes should be okay but you might even have to wait a little bit longer. maybe you could dig around the plant to see if the potatoes are at a reasonable size but keep them intact with the root. if they are not ready then just rebury them Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:19 am
@ttgkeller,
when I planted potatoes I always planted 3 crops (USDA zone 6.5),
I would grow one crop in the mid spring, another by mid JULY and one by AUGUST (from these I alays got exceptionl "new" potatoes. In these spuds, Id sdig a trench, line it with salt marsh hay , and then plant the spuds and place ore hay over em. These potatoes were tiny delicious little keeperes when you pick em while the folowers jut open
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:21 am
@ttgkeller,
PS, cant help if you dont give a location or a USDA zone number. Id sy if youre in zone 4 or lower, you may only get one or two crops
0 Replies