rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:37 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The guy must have a hundred of them.

His presentation is bad, but his scripts are pretty funny. If Lewis Black was doing the delivery they would be a riot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:45 pm
agreed
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:03 am
I tried to watch the whole video but after 3 minutes of it I had to stop. I am sorry that anyone feels it necessary in any way to make jokes about something that is so sacred to others. The stick figure in the video claimed to be a "good guy." If I followed his line of thinking I could make a joke out of anything concerning anyone and I'd be a good person? I don't think good people are people that try to humiliate others for what they hold dear.

I understand many have questions, just as those that were asked in that video. However, making fun of someone else or their beliefs is no way to find an answer to them in my opinion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:38 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I understand many have questions, just as those that were asked in that video. However, making fun of someone else or their beliefs is no way to find an answer to them in my opinion.

It was a satire; nobody who agrees with that video really has those questions. They are all rhetorical and intended to point out the inanities of the entire situation (which is being parodied).

Unfortunately for many Christians, certain fundamentalist views of the religion are so outlandish that they set the whole kit-and-kaboodle up for ridicule.

If an aggressive fringe of Christians start getting in everyone's business (which they do) and preaching their extreme viewpoint, then people are going to call them on it and ridicule the ridiculous. It's unfortunate, but the quieter Christians with a more spiritual viewpoint are going to catch some stray flack from that.

I really wish Christians themselves would do more to speak out against their own internal lunatic fringe. The lunatics are giving the rest of the program a bad name.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:05 pm
The sacredness of it gets lost in translation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:03 am
I know it was a sattire! Geesh! I'm 52 years old for Pete's sake! The point is, there are people that do have questions and some of those questions were brought up in the video.

Oh I see Christians set themselves up for ridicule because they believe what they believe? Wow, since when am I or anyone else responsible for the way you behave? Is that what you teach your kids? It's ok honey, they are setting themselves up by believing what they do so it's ok go right ahead and make fun of them? Glad you are not my parent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
This forum is set up to allow for all views. If this thread is not to anyone's liking there is a scroll feature.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 06:28 pm
I am merely stating my views edgar, just as you and the others are doing. I may not like what is said or being done but I can certainly choose to say something or say nothing. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 06:36 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I am merely stating my views edgar, just as you and the others are doing. I may not like what is said or being done but I can certainly choose to say something or say nothing. Laughing

That's exactly what I said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 06:39 pm
Roswell wrote:
I really wish Christians themselves would do more to speak out against their own internal lunatic fringe. The lunatics are giving the rest of the program a bad name.

Amen.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 10:03 pm
I really wish Christians themselves would do more to speak out against their own internal beliefs
The lunatics are giving the rest of mankind a bad name.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:18 am
Arella Mae wrote:
...Oh I see Christians set themselves up for ridicule because they believe what they believe?....

I think Rosborne's point was that they set themselves up for it because they characteristically try rather aggressively to persuade others to believe it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 01:26 pm
Even if that were the case a person's reaction is their responsibility. Sure people can be provoked to anger, etc.; however, in the final analysis our behavior is always our own responsibility.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 03:01 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Even if that were the case a person's reaction is their responsibility. Sure people can be provoked to anger, etc.; however, in the final analysis our behavior is always our own responsibility.

Not when you shove it in our face, and demand that our government change our educational courses from science to ID.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:18 pm
You mean like some want to take all the creationism out of it and put in evolution? Pot meet kettle CI. Still, even if someone is shoving it in your face, you can either choose to walk away or engage in the battle. Your choice no matter what.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:24 pm
When they put creationism in the place of science (evolution) the patients will be in control of the asylumn. Might as well convert the schools to churches. We would of course be living like the Amish within a short period of time, but at least no Christian's feelings will get hurt, and that's the important thing in all this.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:33 pm
It doesn't have a thing to do with my personal feelings as a Christian. It has to do with the same thing CI and I were discussing a few days ago. Believers and non-believers do the same danged thing. We all voice our beliefs and why we hold them. I have no problem with them teaching the theory of evolution along with creationism. But, from what I gather, some of you have a problem with it, eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
I have a problem with making the school into a church. Evolution is science; creationism is religious belief. They do not belong together in a class room.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:49 pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=swlsqkAyxqY&feature=user
Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, which is not arguing, but deflecting with humor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:51 pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JoPcbHsQQ88&feature=user
0 Replies