Earth Link downloads

RedHawk

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:46 am
A friend of mine who is even less familiar with the way computers work that I am, is having trouble downloading files. He says that he cannot download files since he switched from AOL to Earth Link Systems.

Would there be some reason for this that is Earth Link's fault, or is it possible that it is a funtion of his computer.

He tells me that he is using one of the later Windows versions, but is not sure if it is ME, or XP.

We are willing to try anything SHORT of formatting the hard drive. Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 04:31 pm
I've just downloaded the new 2004 earthlink software, and didn't have any problems. My computer's on XP.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 04:32 pm
RedHawk, WELCOME to A2K. BTW, earthlink's been running a little slow today, so I wrote a email to find out whether it's caused by their ISP.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:13 pm
Hi Redhawk,

It might help with the diagnosis if we could get a little more detail from your friend.

What is he trying to download and what is the source, Email or website? Is he getting any error messages? If so, what are they? If no error message, where in the download procedure are the problems occuring?

Also, to find out what version of Windows he is using, have him click on the My Computer icon then click on Help then on About Windows. The Windows version will be listed there.
0 Replies

RedHawk

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:46 am
The problem as he discribed it was in regard to e-mail, although he did say he can't download anything, so I would assume that it means from anywhere. I will see him tomorrow and get more info. All I know now is, that a little pop-up appears and says something about windows doesn't accept what he is attempting and something about 32.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:31 am
That's probably Pop32.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:41 am
CI, I believe you're thinking about POP3 (which is a mail server commonly used on the Internet).

Redhawk, there's no way to help your friend without more information. BFN's questions are a good place to start.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
Here's a index on pop32. http://webast.ast.obs-mip.fr/sfr/pop32/
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
What you posted (google's first result for pop32) doesn't have any relevance here. I can assure you redhawk's friend is not using it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
Monger, I'm a dummy when it comes to computer language, so I just offered it from what little knowledge I have. The number 32 just gave my grey matter something that said I saw that before. That's the extent of it; nothing more. Wink
0 Replies

RedHawk

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:21 pm
Well thanks guys, here is what I'm gonna do.

I'm gonna give ole Stan this web site and he can register and find this discussion and give you guys first hand information as to what his problem is.

That-a-way, you will have a better stab at it. Thanks for your interest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
Just heard from Earthlink. They're having engineering problems, and working to resolve all the problems.
0 Replies