• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 886 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:26 am
Quote:
Dr. Greenberg, a cardiologist at St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, N.Y., said that Mrs. Homer, who has a live-in aide at her tiny bungalow ...

Aside from the cost of medical procedures, one can't help but wonder about the source of support for the above mentioned live-in-aide. At a minimum of $15/hr and 24 hr coverage for this patient, the estimated cost for a live-in aide for Mrs. Homer would be about $120,000/year.

Does Medicare cover this? If not, what is the source of this money. Incidentally, the average cost of nursing home care is of the order of $100,000+/year.

How will Social Security have to be modified to accommodate the growing number of individuals over 100 years of age?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:02 am
Will your present finances support you to an age of 104 years?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:37 am
aren't we supposed to go ahead and die when it's our time to make room for more people?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:37 am
aren't we supposed to go ahead and die when it's our time to make room for more people?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 04:06 pm
I don't look forward to living to 104 years of age.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 04:11 pm
This reminds me of that governor of Colorado, Dys will remember him. I differed with him about this kind of question at the time.

For those who can appreciate this and say it, I'm all for it.
"That I'm alive, I guess. That's the big thing. That I'm alive."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 04:18 pm
My 101 year old aunt (I'm exaggerating by a couple of months) had wisdom to impart, and did, until very close to her death. But then she'd long ago asked for no extraordinary measures. I figure she lived by her need to tell stories.

She was annoying to her closer family, my cousins, always trying to control stuff...
but really, in my memory I see my cousin's husband not wanting to fix the radio or the clock one more time.. and the resentment of that too sad while entirely understandable... more than understandable. (He was always courteous, don't get me wrong.)

I've gone through alzheimer's with my mother (and extended family), though not really gone through the disease itself, except for the fear part. My aunt was different, and I applauded her will to live. She was born in 1900 in Idaho and did have tales.

For someone like that elderly practicing attorney, why the hell not? I've no idea if he was a wise or foolish practicing attorney. Tell me the odds, re the whole grouping..

I suppose I would have been not for my aunt getting, say, a bypass, at 100. But then she was too.
I can see choices to go for it from some elderly. And I'd like those choosers to be able to, given the obvious review.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 05:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
This reminds me of that governor of Colorado, Dys will remember him. I differed with him about this kind of question at the time.

For those who can appreciate this and say it, I'm all for it.
"That I'm alive, I guess. That's the big thing. That I'm alive."
Yes, Dick Lamm; I greatly admired him other than the fact that one of his acts as governor was designating folk music poet John Denver as the Poet Laureate of Colorado.
As a first year legislator, he drafted and succeeded in passing the nation's first liberalized abortion law. He was an early leader of the environmental movement, and was President of the First National Conference on Population and the Environment.
0 Replies