How would I move my diabetic cat across the country?

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:30 pm
I have recently been playing with the idea of getting away from NYC for a little while. The one big snag is that I have this diabetic cat named Rocky, and I don't know how I would deal with that. Rocky is basically healthy, other than needing two shots of insulin a day. But I don't know if it's a good idea to put a thirteen-year-old diabetic cat on a plane for a cross-country flight. Would that be too much for him to handle? Could I drug him for the flight? How exactly would a person transport a diabetic cat from NYC to Florida or possibly even California?

Just wondering. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,663 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:32 pm
Any time I have taken my cats any where, I drugged them.

But, I dont have a diabetic one.. so I really dont have any suggestions there..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:07 pm
Wellll........ I didn't take my cat across country, but he's been treated for diabetes for something like 5 years now. But, you know that.

Have you considered driving? Probably not. And, flying is probably better anyway.

Rocky will have to fly in cargo these days, yes? Can he fly in the cabin? I would drug him, ask the vet. As far as insulin and diabetes go, also ask the vet. People I know with diabetes tell me that stress produces MORE glucose in the blood stream (fight or flight reaction, I guess). But, he won't likely be eating anything during the flight or maybe even for a day after the flight. I'd reduce his insulin drastically for the flight and the next dosage as well. Bring him up to his usual dose when you see he's eating again. High glucose isn't great, but it's preferable - especially short term - to low glucose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:08 pm
Californians I know like cats. Just get Rocky there in one piece..

I'd talk directly to airlines folks (for good or ill) to find out their pov. Plus, I bet there are travel-log type sites that might have covered this question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:13 pm
Re: How would I move my diabetic cat across the country?
kickycan wrote:
I have recently been playing with the idea of getting away from NYC for a little while.

why bother Rocky with the move if it's "for a little while"?

If it's a permanent move, sure, but for a while? does he need the stress?

What does the vet say?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:56 pm
Well, the more detailed version of this particular daydream/plan is to try to get a job down in Florida while I stay with a cousin and eventually figure out a way to buy some modest little place down there. Then, rent that Florida place out and go back to my apartment in New York where I would go back to freelancing in New York again until such time when I decide it's time to hit the beach again for a while. And then I could have a place near family, for when I decided to retire again. Or I could be a snowbird or whatever. There are a million holes in the idea, I know, but I still sometimes wonder "what if" from time to time.

Thanks guys, for the information. Rocky sends an enthusiastic paws-up to all of you.

Littlek, yes, I know about your cat, and I was actually hoping you'd show up. Thanks. I always trust you to have the best information. I really appreciate it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 04:34 am
http://www.wikihow.com/Transport-Cats-by-Plane

I'd check with vet first.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 06:56 am
FedEx.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:01 am
Seeing I am supposed to have relocated already and have 2 cats, I've researched this a bit - the flying with cats not the diabetic part. Currently it costs $80 (on American) to have a cat in the cabin - which I highly suggest. It needs to be a carrier with certain dimensions. They say to NOT drug your cat. The drugs can interfere with their breathing. I would just make sure that the medication times do not come into play while you are flying as you cannot remove the cat from the carrier once in flight (and I'm sure you wouldn't want to be searching the entire plane once the cat takes off - which he will).

One thing I would suggest is to ask your vet and double check with the airlines. Some airlines do not allow pets in the cabin (Southwest is one) and the others severely limit the number of pets (usually to two) on each flight.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:33 pm
T-shirt launcher.
0 Replies