Surprising dogs breeds to be wary of

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:56 am
Surprising dogs breeds to be wary of
by Angie Felton
Jul 7th 2008

When you think of dangerous dog breeds, which animal do you picture: a pit bull or a wiener dog?

According to the results of research published in Applied Animal Behaviour Science, the breed most prone to aggression is the dachshund. New research that involved questioning 6,000 dog owners, found that one in five dachshunds have bitten (or tried to bite) strangers, a similar number have attacked other dogs, and that one in 12 have even snapped at their owners.

Prior research on dog aggression focused solely on dog bite statistics. Using that data, breeds like Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Dobermans were thought to pose the most danger. Researchers now feel prior studies were not painting a full picture, as most dog bites (especially those of smaller dogs) go unreported and were not included in the past.

Chihuahuas ranked second on the list of aggressive dogs, while Jack Russell Terriers came in third.

Just like with people, it's not fair to stereotype an entire group based on the actions of a few. But it's also good know some small dogs might not be the ideal choice for children.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,311 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:53 am
I think that most people have long know that the smaller breeds are the biggest biters.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:04 am
I was attacked by dachshits once. They never did it again (since they had no teeth left from my boots).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:06 am
The only one that surprised me was the Jack Russells, but I haven't been around that many of them over time, or read about them as much as the others.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
The Jack Russells can be very aggressive if not well trained. Their jumping is annoying to me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:19 am
BBB
http://www.free-images.org.uk/dogs/bichon-frise.jpg

I have the world's most loving sweet dog, a Bichon Frise.

BBB
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:38 am
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9411/bestfriendol3.jpg

My best friend is 1/2 chihuahua & 1/2 yorkie. She has never shown aggression towards anyone. In fact she is a little over 4 years old now and just figured out she can growl Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:41 am
Were the dachshunds toy or full sized. Not that that really matters since dachshunds were bread as badger dogs. Consider the use, a badger dog has to be brave and somewhat obnoxious since that is characteristic of it's intended prey. Moreover; the short legs are desired for digging so the dachshund can go into a badger hole.

Chi-Chi Dogs--my sister had one as a lap pet. Vilest, most obnoxious dog I've ever known. She buried him at a pet cemetery and I looked up his grave to dance on it.

Jack Russells--a rat terrier, good dogs but if you were that small and you were bread to fight rats, being an excitable biter could be a benefit. Not really surprising they're snippy.

I've had a Pit Bull. One of the gentlest, most laid back dogs I've ever known. YoYo was great with kids, strangers, and other dogs--Yes YoYo killed cats, but he was a dog and on the great Karmic wheel of life being a cat was painful and YoYo was just acting to accelerate the souls position.

On the other hand--German Shepards are one of the greatest dogs around--good natured, protective, smart and good protection (mostly because of their presence). But as they get older they can be known to snip---but that is the fault of breeders. Somehow, somewhen it has been considered that Shepards need a low rear end, and that trait is accompanied with hip dysplasia--which is painful. When you touch many shepards on the lower back, it hurts and like most people they react to the pain snippily. Personally I think the person responsible for this is the breeder who should be thrown in a pit of Jack Russells in a rat suit.

Caution many Labradors also suffer from hip dysplasia. If you can get one without that trait they're one of the best family pets going. One caution--Labradors aren't known for their brains.

Personally my favorite breed is a mutt, and the best dog of my life was found. As near as I could tell he was beagle, cocker spaniel, and traveling man. Smart, dedicated, protective and loved to travel. I could leave him in the car with the windows down knowing that the car and everything in it was his property.

Rap
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:50 am
raprap wrote:
One caution--Labradors aren't known for their brains.

Rap

Dont' tell that to my 12 year old Kelsey. She is smarter than most people.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/Kelsey.gif
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:55 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Vicious lookin' brute, ya ask me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:59 am
roger wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Vicious lookin' brute, ya ask me.

Oh yeah? Stick your mug near his and he will give you doggie kisses.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:05 am
My aunt had 3 or 4 dachshunds, or as I liked to think of them "The hounds from hell"

They lived some distance from us, so just did the Thanksgiving/Christmas thing.

She'd have to put them down in the basement, where apparantly they sat at the top of the stairs listening for any signs of life on the opposite side the the door. Whenever someone had to walk by the door, they would erupt in a frenzy that would last the next 15 minutes. I don't think, in all those years, I ever actuall saw the full body of one of them. If my aunt or uncle had to get something from the basement, they'd open the door a crack and try to slip in. The dogs would all try to push their way through, yapping and baring teeth. I would be terrified.

Years and years later, I was talking to my cousin and mentioned my memories. He was surprised and said "Really? They were all good girls, and were great pets."

Chihuahua's? Oh yeah, they'll take you down man. They don't need no stinkin' badges.

Jack Russell are just....well, insane.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 10:07 am
Long past time for me to mention to Rap that he has a great way with words. Oh, and ideas.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 11:27 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

HUH UH!!!!
Maddy is adorable, but my Liam would easily win that prize.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16/CavalierKingCharlesSpanielDaphne.JPG
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 12:29 pm
Those don't even look like dogs. They look like throw pillows.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 04:23 pm
Watch it, cj. I'll sick Liam on you.

(He'll lick you to death.)
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
Careful turning your back on a min pin.
http://www.annran.com/blog/WIP/ChanceMinPinPhoto.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:33 pm
I don't remember the last time I saw a Dachshund that wasn't paraparetic and trying to bite me, but that's an occupational hazard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
I had a cocker spaniel, basset mix. She hated little kids. If they got near, she bared her teeth and growled. I saw her nip the air in front of a few, but she never bit anyone.

Oops. Imeant Beagle, not basset
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:50 pm
It was probably the Cocker part of the mix, edgar. I've frequently seen them snap at kids. Beagles, on the other hand, are usually very patient with them.
0 Replies