Your habits and quirks

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:00 pm
This is a coinpurse - see the URL -

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/uploads/partners/joseywales/500/red_cord_coin_purse.jpg

This is variously a handbag or a purse -

http://www.pursecatalogue.com/images/purse.jpg

This is what I really think of as a handbag - or a clutch -

http://www.pursepage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/emilio-pucci-silk-clutch-bag.jpg

Shoulder bag ... or purse -

http://www.myleatherexpressions.com/files/1601302/uploaded/IMG_3303-1.jpg

Makes me just want to duffle...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:05 pm
Thomas - I figured there was some glitch, but I didn't figure you were pro-slavery. Yes, I was approving of his championing the abolitionist movement.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 07:20 pm
dlowan wrote:
How is that connected?

You think not obeying laws is IN the blood on our streets?

I am insinuating that reckless disregard for the law, which prevents blood on the streets, is to be expected among the kind of folk who gets sent to penal colony. And their offspring, of course

dlowan wrote:
I hate to scare you...but I do wonder if you have ever shared with a person who took the tags off mattresses?

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting it. This is supposed to be scary because ...?

Quote:
Thomas - I figured there was some glitch, but I didn't figure you were pro-slavery. Yes, I was approving of his championing the abolitionist movement.

So am I. (There! That wasn't such a difficult answer.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:13 pm
dlowan wrote:
This is a wallet:

http://www.tellercounty.net/images/story-wallet1.jpg

It can also go inside a handbag.

Actually, purses are disappearing. Women used to use purses, and men wallets.

Now we almost all seem to use wallets.

My experience extends only to my wife. She does not use a coinpurse, but she does have a (girly) wallet for cards, checkbook, folding money, etc.

Looks like this:
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/de/3/AAAAAj1niQwAAAAAAN48Og.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 08:38 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Do you spray things off of your driveway with a hosepipe?

We live with water restrictions, because of long term drought (as dlowan said) - you don't spray things off driveways, footpaths, etc. That's what brooms are for.

On the 2 days each week we are allowed to water the garden (this is in Sydney) we use a hose. Well, I seldom bother - but others do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:12 pm
I seem to be the only one on my street trying to grow anything past what the developer from Mars put in per whatever city requirements. Mostly the yards here are black plastic with rocks over. Burn all those little critters in the sand..

Anyway, I'm out there with my watering can, aiming it at the wells I've concocted out of sand around my struggling wisps of herbs and natives.
We'll see. It's touch and go with the lavenders and my new mexican olives (forestiera) are - I hate to say it, kiss of death - thriving. Can't wait until October when I can really work in the garden. Or so called garden. If things go wrong, it'll be not the garden but the stretch of sand.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:23 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
How is that connected?

You think not obeying laws is IN the blood on our streets?

I am insinuating that reckless disregard for the law, which prevents blood on the streets, is to be expected among the kind of folk who gets sent to penal colony. And their offspring, of course

dlowan wrote:
I hate to scare you...but I do wonder if you have ever shared with a person who took the tags off mattresses?

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting it. This is supposed to be scary because ...?

Quote:

Because it's illegal!!!!!

:wink:

Do you believe in Lamarckian evolution? My ancestors were not convicts, so I am wondering if you think that illegal behaviour has developed in folk such as me because our ancestors rubbed shoulders with convicts?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:25 pm
I didn't think they had convicts in Adelaide?

now here....................it's where they all started Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:33 pm
I take great pleasure in mattress and pillow tag snipping. Must be my Catholic childhood.

Tags on scarves, that's a problem, as I sort of like them but I don't want them to show. I like cheapo scarves and good scarves, not that I actually wear them. (I got a Schiaperelli scarf for a quarter at a thrift, and of course I figured that out by the label.)

Hey, I just checked the spelling of her name, I was right, she writes, and she is more interesting than I had thought..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Schiaparelli
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:15 am
margo wrote:
I didn't think they had convicts in Adelaide?

now here....................it's where they all started Twisted Evil

No. But I have no doubt the descendants of convicts have mingled their badly behaved blood with that of our sterling and up-standingly law-abiding pioneer stock.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:26 am
Thomas wrote:
littlek wrote:
Hey, when in Rome......

Well, you didn't feed me to the lions, I do give you that. Smile

Actually, now that I think of that walk, I remember another one of my quirks that we ran into on this occasion. Maybe you have noticed. In conversation, I sometimes fall into a mode where I'm totally anal about taking statements literally, and where I always assume people are giving me new, important information. When I'm talking shop with fellow physicists or engineers, this mode of talking can help me a lot. But when I fall into it in casual conversation, something in my head locks, and I totally freeze up.

This happened to me towards the end of our walk in the park, when we were talking about the monuments in it. I remarked how I never seem to know the people whose memory they were built to preserve. You were friendly enough to counter that I did know George Washington. Then we passed a statue of some 19th century person whose insciption called him a "prophet of liberty, campaigner against slavery" or something like that. I said, "I have no idea who this guy is, though". You replied, "I approve of him though." "You mean, you know him?" "No I don't, but I approve of him." Now it happened to me. Physicist shop-talking mode. My mind was racing: "Is Kris telling me she's anti-slavery? Is she thinking this is news to me? Does ... not ... compute. Does ... not ... compute ... does ... not .... Oh, what the hell, just say something, anything, to keep the conversation going." So I said something, don't remember what.

So, if you came away from our walk with the impression that I'm pro-slavery, this is where it came from.

This is so funny and a relief to read. It reminds me how I over-worry about things coming out of my mouth and the potentional for whatever I've said to be misinterpreted. I'm a modern version of Lady Macbeth, without murder, just the hand-wringing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:46 am
dlowan wrote:
It took me a couple of episodes to "get" the gravy thing on The Sopranos.

And they leave off lots of endings...ricotta becomes ricott etc.

Now we almost all seem to use wallets.

I grew up in a state with a large Italian population. The gravy thing, well, always reminds me of the brown stuff that goes on turkey. So, it took a while before I could un-visualize brown stuff into the red sauce.

Another local expression Italians have for underwear is Boodondies. I love that.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:54 pm
dlowan wrote:
Gala wrote:
margo wrote:
Supermarket trolleys are notoriously unreliable. You could just ram someone - then apologise profusely - along the lines of - my trolley just took off - I don't know what got into it! Twisted Evil

You guys call shopping carts trolleys? i think I might start a new thread with this...

Oh my yes. AND what you call "trunks" we call "boots".

And just don't ASK about "fanny".

"Sidewalks" are footpaths.

Purses are things that go in handbags...which you call purses. I have no idea what you call a purse.

I had a diabolical trolley tonight. Grrrrrrrrr....

Yep - we call them "boots" too - trunks are what boys wear to go swimming in. The front of the car is called a "bonnet" not a hood. We use a gear stick!

Sidewalks are "pavements" but footpaths are paths in the country!

Purses hold money - and go in handbags. Handbags can be attached to trolleys in the supermaket - and dontya hate it too when you get one with a squeaky wheel and everyone can hear you coming from the other side of the aisle. And the darned squeaky wheel won't turn properly so you end up having to lift one side of the trolley to go round the corner. (can you tell trolleys wind me up!)

I have to "salute" a magpie and say the rhyme...
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

Drives me nuts as I see loads of magpies.... but have to do it.

No walking under ladders and never ever put your shoes on a table. EVER. All cupboards and wardrobe doors must be closed when I go to bed (cupboard monsters syndrome after watching Jaws come out of the wardrobe on the train in the James Bond Movie "The Spy Who Loved Me"!

Always say I love you when my kid walks out the door to go anywhere.

As for FANNY PACKS - well, when we first moved to the US - a lady turned round to my ex-hub one day and said "Would you pass my fanny pack please" - he was mortified - bright red with embarrassment and a little flabbergasted. Shocked

Here endeth some of the quirks of Iz.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:42 am
Izzie wrote:
Yep - we call them "boots" too - trunks are what boys wear to go swimming in. The front of the car is called a "bonnet" not a hood. We use a gear stick!

Sidewalks are "pavements" but footpaths are paths in the country!

Purses hold money - and go in handbags. Handbags can be attached to trolleys in the supermaket - and dontya hate it too when you get one with a squeaky wheel and everyone can hear you coming from the other side of the aisle. And the darned squeaky wheel won't turn properly so you end up having to lift one side of the trolley to go round the corner. (can you tell trolleys wind me up!)

I have to "salute" a magpie and say the rhyme...
One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

Drives me nuts as I see loads of magpies.... but have to do it.

No walking under ladders and never ever put your shoes on a table. EVER. All cupboards and wardrobe doors must be closed when I go to bed (cupboard monsters syndrome after watching Jaws come out of the wardrobe on the train in the James Bond Movie "The Spy Who Loved Me"!

Always say I love you when my kid walks out the door to go anywhere.

As for FANNY PACKS - well, when we first moved to the US - a lady turned round to my ex-hub one day and said "Would you pass my fanny pack please" - he was mortified - bright red with embarrassment and a little flabbergasted. Shocked

Here endeth some of the quirks of Iz.

Thanks for setting the record straight. We have the no walking under ladders superstition here, too. Other then it being an unhygenic thing to do-- is there something more to not putting shoes on the table?

Bonnet, ay. That's a girls hat-- completely outdated, although I think the Amuish wear them and sometimes babies.

Trunks are mans swimwear although they're the floppy shorts-like suit-- not those hideous speedos which are revolting and not even worth naming.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:43:44