Your habits and quirks

Gala

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:07 am
When riding on the subway it drives me crazy to be in earshot of other peoples conversations. But I always snoop to see what people are reading if they are sitting next to me.

Well, that's just a few, how about you all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,659 • Replies: 93
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:14 am
Gala- Have you noticed, that when you are sitting near a group of people, there is always one person whose voice dominates all the others in his group? That drives me nuts.

Another quirk of mine is the extreme distaste of seeing middle aged men (usually overweight) who wear their baseball caps backwards. I think that they look like idiots. At 15, that look is ok. At 40, it is ridiculous.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:19 am
I dont know if I have a public quirk like that
but I do play a single song over and over again for days.
Then I switch to another one..

Drives the mister nuts..
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Gala- Have you noticed, that when you are sitting near a group of people, there is always one person whose voice dominates all the others in his group? That drives me nuts.

Another quirk of mine is the extreme distaste of seeing middle aged men (usually overweight) who wear their baseball caps backwards. I think that they look like idiots. At 15, that look is ok. At 40, it is ridiculous.

Phoenix, I know exactly what you are talking about. It happend yesterday on the subway ride home with one guy in a group of 6. I wanted to put him in the corner for talking on a subject with no content.

Along the lines of the baseball cap, add to it-- a long scraggly pony tail.

I'm a swimmer, and don't think non-athletic men of a certain age ought to ever wear little Speedo racing suits.

To be gender fair: Long curled nails on women are ghastly. I think either you keep your nails super short, or if you let them grow to a reasonable length then you better paint them because they are really unattractive to look at.

shewolfnm wrote:
I dont know if I have a public quirk like that
but I do play a single song over and over again for days.
Then I switch to another one..

Drives the mister nuts..

I do that too. There's something calming about finding a song I really like and replaying it again and again.

Here's an example (it's got a religious thing going on, which works because the sonfg is really cool, I don't watch the video the song came out long before youtube)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jReLRxrCJqU
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:54 am
I'm a knee shaker...if I am sitting with both feet flat on the floor I can guarantee one will be going 90 to nothing. Or if I have my legs crossed...whatever leg is on the top, the foot attached shakes. It drives people nuts. Someone is always stopping my leg or stilling my foot. Problem is, I don't even know I'm doing it until they let me know...one way or another. I am trying to be more aware of it...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
I live in an area that has a community association. One of their duties is to provide lawn service to the entire area. So, once a week, the riding mowers, with their gawdawful noise, are going from eight o'clock in the morning, until the middle of the afternoon.

There are times that I would like to throw something at one of those mowers! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:50 am
I can't stand when someone's telephone cord is all tangled. I have found myself at someone's desk (even with them there) and mindlessly unraveling the cord.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:05 pm
O.C. any Linkat? :wink: You should see my curling iron cord...nightmare. I won't even try to untwist it now...just as soon buy another one - but my tight fist with money forbids me to unless it is not longer working...you would think that I would work harder to keep it straight since I am such a tight-wad...but there is a disconnect there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:10 pm
As I have aged and gotten more and more senile I have lost all my old habits, everything I do now is just like the first time.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 12:51 pm
I despise redundancy, and telling or being told the same information more than once.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 01:46 pm
mismi wrote:
O.C. any Linkat? :wink: You should see my curling iron cord...nightmare. I won't even try to untwist it now...just as soon buy another one - but my tight fist with money forbids me to unless it is not longer working...you would think that I would work harder to keep it straight since I am such a tight-wad...but there is a disconnect there.

Odd as my desk is a mess with all crap and papers all over.

Don't know why the cord bothers me so much, but it is like I have to unravel it. I get many odd looks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
I have a shoulder bag made from a rug that a friend had bought in Morocco in the eighties. It's good looking, I like it, except.... the strap curls, trying to be linkat's phone cord..

I never use it as a bag. For a while I put a small pillow in it and put it in with a pillow group. Every so often I try one more time to straigten out the curls, which involve flipping the bag for one less twist per flip. It never works, never ever completely straight. Then I give up for another while until I can't stand it anymore. I'd never give this away, since I like it, but it drives me nuts. Recently I put the strap in a kind of girl scout knot and hung the damned thing in my laundry room as decor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 02:29 pm
I despise redundancy, and telling or being told the same information more than once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 02:33 pm
Smiles..
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:25 pm
I tend to be somewhat OCDish. Almost every time I leave my home, I have to check and make sure the oven and the coffee pot are turned off. Even if I know darn well that I didn't use the oven or coffee pot that morning. I still have to check.

Weird, huh?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:30 pm
Hahaha, I knew I had them - quirks - but I couldn't think of any until just now. A friend is getting ready to defend her doctoral work and is trying to figure out what to wear. While I am terrible at fashion sense, I am quirky with color. I have arguments regularly with my mom and sister about the label for various colors (it's really more blue, no it's more purple, no it's more blue). I stop mid-sentence and say things like "Oh wow, you're both wearing the same green."

I just told my friend that if she chose a blue shirt to wear with her gray jacket and black pants that she should be sure it didn't clash with the background color of her power point presentation.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:37 pm
This is an odd one:

If i'm in a car looking out of the window, whenever I go past anything like lampost or the end of a fence or a curb drop, I click my teeth together.
I think it stems from a game I used to play in the car when I was little, and now it's an automatic reaction.
0 Replies

MonkeyC

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:01 pm
Sleeping with odd lights on. The light on the front of the DVR in my bedroom, reflections of the street lights in windows, my digital alarm clock faces away from me and gawd help me when there's a full moon lighting up the room! Ain't it grand to be weird? Laughing
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:59 am
mismi wrote:
I'm a knee shaker...if I am sitting with both feet flat on the floor I can guarantee one will be going 90 to nothing. Or if I have my legs crossed...whatever leg is on the top, the foot attached shakes. It drives people nuts. Someone is always stopping my leg or stilling my foot. Problem is, I don't even know I'm doing it until they let me know...one way or another. I am trying to be more aware of it...

Interesting. Have you done it all your life? It sounds like excess energy to me.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I live in an area that has a community association. One of their duties is to provide lawn service to the entire area. So, once a week, the riding mowers, with their gawdawful noise, are going from eight o'clock in the morning, until the middle of the afternoon.

There are times that I would like to throw something at one of those mowers! Twisted Evil

Gawdawful is right. Those mowers are huge and fast and they're now used for the smallest swatch of grass. Talk about Greenhouse gases. i bet the mowing industry is fighting environmental regulations with their very lives.

Linkat wrote:
I can't stand when someone's telephone cord is all tangled. I have found myself at someone's desk (even with them there) and mindlessly unraveling the cord.

Other peoples twisted phone cords? I consider that to be generous of you. I no longer have a home phone, but I used to unplug the cord from the phone, stand on a chair and let it untwist, kind of like you let the YO-Yo string right itself.

dyslexia wrote:
As I have aged and gotten more and more senile I have lost all my old habits, everything I do now is just like the first time.

Lucky dog.

DrewDad wrote:

Can you give an example?

ossobuco wrote:
I'd never give this away, since I like it, but it drives me nuts. Recently I put the strap in a kind of girl scout knot and hung the damned thing in my laundry room as decor.

A good solution, osso.

edgarblythe wrote:

Hey, wait a minute...can you give an example, oh, nevermind.

Stray Cat wrote:
I tend to be somewhat OCDish. Almost every time I leave my home, I have to check and make sure the oven and the coffee pot are turned off. Even if I know darn well that I didn't use the oven or coffee pot that morning. I still have to check.

Weird, huh?

Not as weird as you think. I think most of do a bit of double checking on these thngs before leaving the house.

I used to have a neighbor who had OCD full-blown. I'd watch him lock the door to leave the house, then walk a few steps, return to check the lock, walk away, return, again and again...a difficult thing to watch.

littlek wrote:
I just told my friend that if she chose a blue shirt to wear with her gray jacket and black pants that she should be sure it didn't clash with the background color of her power point presentation.

I can't tell if you are serious about this? Are you? Wow. That is quirky. Although, I could debate you about color, you know, what is blue, or green etc.

The Pentacle Queen wrote:
This is an odd one:

If i'm in a car looking out of the window, whenever I go past anything like lampost or the end of a fence or a curb drop, I click my teeth together.
I think it stems from a game I used to play in the car when I was little, and now it's an automatic reaction.

Teeth clicking. Only heard by the clicker?

MonkeyC wrote:
Sleeping with odd lights on. The light on the front of the DVR in my bedroom, reflections of the street lights in windows, my digital alarm clock faces away from me and gawd help me when there's a full moon lighting up the room! Ain't it grand to be weird? Laughing

Do you howl at the moon too?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 06:09 am
I love to wear my small blanket for 'clothing' at home.

Nothing else, just my blanket wrapped around me held up by a clothes pin.

And I am freakishly addicted to it. I HAVE to wear my blanket at least once a day almost! if not more..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Your habits and quirks
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 10:33:10