Sealing a tree stump

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 02:06 pm
We have a large palm tree with a volunteer tree that has grown out of the base of it. We recently cut down the volunteer tree & want to know if we need to seal off the stump. Would we do that with a water sealant or will paint do? What are the necessary steps to keep the palm tree from getting sick?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,257 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 03:51 am
was the volunteer a palm? an offshoot of the original or a seed from another tree that germinated?

If the volunteer was from another species I don't think you need to worry about sealing, however make the cut on the stump at an angle the allows water to run off easily.

BTW I dont know a lot about palms so more input would be welcolme.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:07 am
I'm on the other side of the world from Dadpad and I agree. Sealing does more harm than good. Leave it be and the tree will heal over itself. Arborists stopped using limb sealant years ago because of poor results.
0 Replies

justgingerg

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 01:47 pm
Sealing a tree stump
Thank you for your gardening wisdom! The volunteer tree was of another species- definitely not an offspring of the Palm. It was just growing veryclose to the side of the base of the Palm. We did cut it at an angle & will not worry about sealing it off. The Palm is very old & very large & we just don't want anything to happen to it. Thanks so much for answering a question we have had many discussions about!
0 Replies