The best way to travel from Berlin to Paris, any ideas?

SerSo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:33 am
My wife and me will need to make a trip to Berlin this August. We would like to take advantage of the Schengen visa system and also try to visit Paris where we have never been before. Could somebody enlighten me on the best way to travel from Berlin to Paris? By saying "the best way" I do not only mean moneywise; as it is for pleasure we will probably afford a bit more to get some new experience. What options do I have?

My initial research showed that if I booked seats in a train via www.db.de (web site of the German railway) tickets for 2 pers.would cost me EUR 250-300 approx. and the trip with CNL (CityNightLine) would take around 11 or 12 hours, departing from Berlin in the evening and arriving in Paris next morning. However my friends keep telling me that traveling by air in Western Europe is much cheaper and I should find some discounter air fare. If they are right, do CNL still have advantages that are worth the money they charge?

Before I made mostly round trips when traveling abroad with the exception of a single flight from Vienna to Milan the last year, which then was paid by my employer. Now it is up to me to choose and I would be grateful for any valuable advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 807 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Francis

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:40 am
Well, Serso, it used to be cheap, but with oil raising prices, it's not so true these days.

A flight from Berlin to Paris would cost you a bit less than 100 €, which means that the total cost of the trip, for both of you and wife, would cost about 400 € in August.

It is a bit more than the train but it would leave you more time available to visit Berlin or Paris.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 08:46 pm
It's a no-brainer for me.

I hate flying and love trains in Europe.

There's a day train so you can watch the scenery as you go.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:48 pm
SerSo, I'd listen to Francis first, because he's an addicted traveler, and knows his stuff. However, if I had my druthers, I'd take the train for several reasons. For the first, trains are very comfortable (1st class), and you can actually see the landscape at ground level rather than flying over 30,000 feet where you usually just see clouds. It's also very relaxing, and one can walk around when one feels the need. A few decades ago, I did a Eurailpass tour from Copenhagen down to Barcelona for over two weeks. Really enjoyed that trip.

I've taken the train from Lippstadt (Walter's hometown) to Berlin during my last visit to the UK, Holland and Germany, and really enjoyed the experience.

BTW, how are you doing? I visited Kazakhstan, Krygystan, Tajikestan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan last month for 18-days, and enjoyed learning about Central Asia - especially about the Silk Road.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:38 pm
Actually, if you're thinking of taking the night train, you won't see much
anyway, so flying is probably much easier and you'd have more time in Paris.

Air France has good deals you should check out

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1179/picture1wc5.png
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:42 pm
Depends on whether you're a city person and want to enjoy as much Paris as possible, or a country person and enjoy the getting there part just as much if not more. I myself enjoy the getting there part, so I would take a day train or even a bus. Maybe bus lines are cheaper, it can't be a terribly long trip, I would guess. By which i mean anything under 24 hours Smile
0 Replies