Black Hole in B Flat

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:24 am
Hey there, Beedle! I will indeed poke around at the link, when I'm not keeping a cautious eye on Isabel. That girl looks like she may be trouble.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:23 pm
ehBeth. Don't think you have to worry about Isabel.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm13+shtml/111458.shtml?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:40 pm
Science and sounds. Can't even have a decent Halloween without explanations: Mad

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&e=2&u=/nm/science_sound_dc
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:21 pm
Letty, you catch all the interesting reports. At last a credible explanation for spooky wooky places, when I'd prefer no explanation at all.

----

On the subject of pyscho acoustics, I'd love to know what gives with the newest employee where I work. Seems like a quiet sort (don't a lot of bad news stories have that line), never says much, keeps to himself, and he's always humming this little tuneless tune. Hmmmmmy hmmm hmm hmmm. Got me to where whenever he picks up a stapler I find an excuse to leave the room. Hmmmy hmmm hmm hum. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:56 pm
errrrr, Letty. That 5 day track for Isabel comes right up my belly-button. We've been having rain since Saturday in advance of Isabel - they're projecting 100% rain for this Friday. Every now and then those hurricanes have an impact waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay inland. This may be one of those very special occasions.

Trying not to hummmmmm as I wander around the boards. Sorry, BeedleSq!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:18 pm
Very Happy Smile Surprised I can't believe this, yawl. I just got through playing Beedle's CD for my grandson.

HE LOVED APACHE/CHEROKEE.

And he is a Stone Pilot Mountain fan Shocked

Totally taken with Beedles' guitar.

Ms Beth, You gonna be fine. Isabel is Spanish, after all. Laughing

Hey, Science and music and ESP...A ghost in the closet and a warm cup of tea....
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:34 am
Earl Grey, the Earl of Canterburry and a Spanish Senorita with skirts of whirling clouds. Now there's a concoction fit for dreams...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:43 am
".....and a beautiful Indian girl...." Cool
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:16 pm
Now to go back to all this amazing science stuff. I followed up on the story that replaced the Bb story at the above link (which itself has probably been replaced in turn), the story about giving up the Galileo probe for fear that it might crash into Callisto.

Here is what I have pieced together from a number of web sites and text books.

Xenobiologists (Now there's a lovely theoretical field) seem to agree that the most likely place in the solar system to find Earthlike life of one or another form, is on Callisto. Jupitor's radiance is sufficient to heat that moon, and under its ice is assumed to be water much the same temperature as earthly polar waters. The assumption then is that life seeks platforms within certain temperature and chemical parameters, those capped oceans may thrive with, at the very least, krill like life forms... and if this has been the case for sufficient millions and billions of years, who knows how these life forms have evolved???

Hence, Callisto and several other similar gas giant moons are considered the prime candidates for the harboring other life forms in our solar system.

Interesting to say the least, nah? Tu Hables Krill, compadres?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:27 pm
It's very interesting. This sort of news often has me pulling some old sci-fi off the shelves and re-reading.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:10 am
Arthur Clarke has written a couple of stories based on Jovian moons, but could i remember the titles?????????_____________________!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:54 am
Bo, "2001, A Space Odyssey" was one. Frankly, I never understood the symbolism. Shocked
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:24 pm
Letty, I believe that the 2001 books were rethinkings of his earlier novels, particularly Childhood's End and The City and the Stars.

I've never much cared for the man's prose, but both of those books have profoundly moved me each time I visit them... that would be about once every decade. 2001 seems the natural evolution of the thoughts underlying Childhood's End. Frankly it is not an improvement, IMO. His prose seems to have gotten clunkier and less subtle, perhaps why he took to writing with collaborators. He spits out ideas but doesn't know how to create a subtle stream of narrative. So he explains things to death, I think.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (at least until this soapbox collapses under the bloat of my opinionation) Gene Wolfe is THE science fiction writer of the last fifty years. People really need to discover him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 05:37 pm
Beedle. Never read Gene Wolfe. Loved "All Summer in a Day" and "UsherII" by Ray Bradbury.

Aside:

Isabel is going to be a weird storm.

Back to the topic. There was a short story that approaches sci fi called "A Passion in the Desert" by Balzac...sheeeze..loved it..
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:09 pm
Yes, a loverly tale as I recall.

And yes, Bradbury put some amazing work on the table.

If you want to read an amazing Gene Wolfe tale, see if your library has any collections of his, and read either The Island of Dr. Death, or The Death of Dr. Island, or for that matter The Doctor of Death Island. No kidding, three different tales.
Or better, if you find The Eyeflash Miracles, a forty page story written from the point of 'view' of a blind boy. It hasn't a single refenerce to light, sight or seeing, yet it is totally vivid in its imagery. Wolfe can be astonishing. My favorite of his novels is a dreamlike and yet totally earthbound fantasy called There are Doors.

But, curious, what makes you think Isabel is a weirdo? You think she's going to bounce radically of trajectory, or pick up new velocity?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:34 am
Good morning all.

Beedle, as I understand it via the climatologists, this hurricane is different in that it won't follow the coast line but go directly over land. I haven't checked yet, but it is totally beautiful here. The surf is wild and that's about it. My friends at Va. Beach are preparing to go inland and my family near Charlottesville, Va. are expecting winds and rain of unusual proportions. Shocked
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 02:22 pm
Ahhhhh. I suppose that is unusual.

Right now New York has got intense little gusts of wind and the general feel of a noreaster. Up in my neighborhood the clouds are trailing monkey tails, so I expect we'll hear of tornados along the Hudson Valley. Such tornados have become rather commonplace in the last five years, although they were previously considered remarkable. They aren't nearly as impressive as the Fingers of God style tornados that level whole towns in Tornado Alley. But remarkable in this terrain nonetheless.

I love storms, but I'm glad not to be in the thick of it. I weathered two hurricanes in Florida and one here in New York a few years ago. It's both intimidating and exhilerating to experience the hugeness of nature.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:49 pm
Beedle, We used to watch the odd, come and go storms, on Hatteras Island. One moment it would be clear and lovely..the next..the wrath of Neptune or poseidon. We are drawn, somehow, to what we can't explain. I had a dream one night, that I was braced for a tsunami. It was so real that I actually felt the water on my back.

Why did ehBeth think Isabel was in her area of the world?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:31 pm
another sad serendipity. Mamajuana died tonight. ehBeth knows..I don't have a link............................................... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 05:18 pm
ohhhhh. sad.
0 Replies