What'd you do last night?

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
I went to a concert ... have you heard of Ryan Shaw? Apparently he's been on Ellen de Generes and other shows. But the headliner was Maceo Parker (see below).

My friend, Selina, got 4 free tickets so Leslie and I, who had gotten together to celebrate our birthdays, joined her down there around 9:30. Ryan Shaw was on first. Man, the guy was absolutely fabulous! He played until midnight and he was just enthralling. The Commodore was jam-packed and it was hard to dance, but where there's a will there's a way. He's being touted as the next Stevie Wonder and I can see why. It's the Jazz Fest here this weekend, so the whole town is sporting jazz artists.

Here's us outside the Commodore:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/Mame_05/SPL1.jpg

Here's a better pic of Leslie:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/Mame_05/Bir8Small.jpg

At midnight Maceo Parker (see below), came on. While great, he wasn't any Ryan Shaw whose voice was fantastic. He played great sax but we were pretty tired by this time and Leslie and I kept nodding off. Ha ha ha Selina, who loves jazz and hadn't been out in 2 years (had a baby) could not be pried off the dance floor. Anyway after the fourth time of being woken up by Security and told we couldn't sleep there (1:00 a.m.), lol, we decided to leave. We went home via Granville Street - this is a little video of the typical weekend street party that happens there. The cops close off all the streets leading onto Granville and patrol it. It was nuts.

All in all, a very entertaining evening.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/Mame_05/th_GranvilleStVideo.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Maceo (pronounced may'-see-oh) Parker (born February 14, 1943) is a noted American funk and soul jazz saxophonist, best known for his work with James Brown in the 1960s. Parker was a prominent soloist on many of Brown's hit recordings, and a key part of his band, playing alto, tenor and baritone saxophones. Parker's rhythmic and rapid playing style draws on the earlier innovations of be-bopper Charlie Parker (no relation), and Cannonball Adderley, mixed with Brown's own innovations in funk music.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,957 • Replies: 55
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:51 pm
Lovely pictures (your so photogenic Mame) and I am glad you had such
a good time. Birthdays? Happy belated then, if it was yours!

Here it was unbearably hot (still is) so an evening in front of 3 fans seemed
just about right. Interlude was a cold shower.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:00 pm
and when is/was your birthday, young lady?

what'd I do? hmmmm pulled some weeds, watched some kind of TLC home makeover show, sat on the porch while it rained, slept
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:03 pm
Oh .. I wanna go!! Smile

glad to see you had fun!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:04 pm
last night I stayed on the couch for 3 hours.
I started an african dance class yesterday afternoon.

ohhh lord. My body is killing me today but I can not wait to do it again Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Other than pulling weeds, ehBeth and I were doing the exact same thing last night!

Looks like you had a good time, Mame. If the one guy played until after midnight, what on earth are you doing up already? Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:32 pm
Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people on A2K!

My gift to you is a video of Shewolf doing that new African Dance she's learning. Maybe she can teach us and we'll all go out dancing for your next birthday.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:33 pm
I went to a very interesting meeting down at the city hall where a group of us argued well into the night about the possibility of the moon being a hoax.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:43 pm
ehBeth - I turned 50 on May 19, the day I came home from ABQ. That was my birthday present to myself and it was a good one.

Shewolf - I want to take that class, too!! I can't sign up for anything though because I'm always coming and going. I did buy myself a harp (harmonica), though, which I can take to camp. I've downloaded some youtube lessons Smile

CJ - I don't think I'm photogenic at all, but thanks. Leslie turned 46 on the 19th of June, and Selina is about 40. It was fun Smile

Squinney (hugs) Very Happy Actually shewolf and I are talking about meeting up next year so if we give all the gals lots of warning, could we do the dance thing there? That would be a hoot Smile - I was up at 7:30 - I got a good 5 hours in.

Gus - I'm glad you had such an entertaining evening. Sounds positively fascinating, yeah, uh huh. What was the conclusion?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:46 pm
I knew I was older!

We were the same age for exactly one month Very Happy

~~~

hmmm I could add some tribal and bellydance moves to the African dance routine - maybe some cool Saiidi stuff ...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:56 pm
Mame wrote:

Gus - I'm glad you had such an entertaining evening. Sounds positively fascinating, yeah, uh huh. What was the conclusion?

Read for yourself, Mame. And prepare yourself for the revolution.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 02:59 pm
Missed you, gus. Good to see you back.

The thing I always wondered about the moon was is that really a man in there? What if it's a woman? Do they discuss that?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
I missed you too, Mame. That is why my concentration at the moon-conspiracy meeting wasn't at its proper level last night -- because my thoughts wandered to you.

I saw your shimmering auburn hair and your glistening smile and I sighed, causing several members to state, in unison, "What the hell are you sighing about, Ratzenhofer?"

I had to make up an excuse and, fortunately, they bought it.

But then... my thoughts returned to you, Mame.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:14 pm
As I was thinking of you last night, gus, as I kept dropping off to sleep during the saxophone playing. I couldn't keep my mind off you and I think I dribbled a bit while sighing your name. Ah, star-crossed, we are.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:15 pm
We were meant to be, Mame.

We were meant to be.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:16 pm
<extracts violin from case and begins to play mournful tune>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
extracts violin from case and begins to play mournful tune
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
<clasps>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:57 pm
last night I went out and had expensive bottles of beer at Bukowski's Tavern.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:18 pm
littlek wrote:
last night I went out and had expensive bottles of beer at Bukowski's Tavern.

There was time when I spent most of my paycheck on beer and babes.
The rest, I squandered.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What'd you do last night?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:53:54