What'd you do last night?

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:21 pm
Speaking of beer and babes, I spent all day and most of the evening at the Mermaid parade. It's kind of like a Burning Man/Mardi-gras type of deal. Half-naked girls in mermaid costumes, booze, freaks of all types, and the Coney Island boardwalk. What a blast.

Not that it compares to a bunch of old coots discussing whether or not the moon is real, but still, it's something I enjoy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:23 pm
Last night we had planned to go intown to the Phantom Gourmet's BBQ Beach
Party. But Clive was feeling a bit under the weather so we put it off to this
afternoon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:24 pm
And how was it?
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:26 pm
That depends on how you define "it".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
Ha! The BBQ?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
George, your sig line reminds me of my high school quote. "Um.... what?"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:34 pm
It was awesome, as usual. The boardwalk becomes a sea of people after the parade. It seems everyone has a portable PA system that they turn up and have these spontaneous mini-dance parties in the middle of the boardwalk. And everywhere you look there's some crazily-dressed weirdo doing something entertaining. I looked up at one point and saw a blue pirate dancing on top of one of the restaurants overlooking the boardwalk. There was a guy who was dressed somewhat like a sultan and he walked around with a parrot--who never left his perch on the guy's hat--and a poodle. He had painted his beard, his clothes, and yes, even his poodle in day-glo rainbow colors. Plus, of course, the mermaid-costumed women. And men. crazy ****. There is just so much weirdness to take in at all times. It is going to suck when they tear all of it down and start building condos.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:35 pm
The BBQ was great. They had rigs set up from all over. Your cholesterol
level went up just from sniffing. The Memphis-style ribs from Willingham's
were outstanding. Butch's "Smack-your-libs" were also great. My mistake
was starting off with a pulled-pork sammich. Too filling.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:35 pm
Oops, I thought you were asking how the mermaid parade was. Oh well. I'll quit interrupting your discussion now.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
I've never been to Coney Island, but heard lots about it. I'm surprised it
has lasted this long.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:46 pm
Kick, no wonder you liked Venice Beach..
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:48 pm
Good point, Osso. I like that kind of stuff. I heard some lady on the phone yesterday telling whoever she was talking to that it was like Burning Man. I don't really know what Burning Man is all about, but I think I would like that too.

Nakes hippies are cool.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:49 pm
watched a 75 ! year old german movie on video last night . while it had been re-mastered , it wasn't nearly as funny as it was when i saw it first about 70 years ago - my tastes must have changed Shocked :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:50 pm
kickycan wrote:
Nakes hippies are cool.

Excuse me, that should be "naked," not "nakes."
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:53 pm
littlek wrote:
last night I went out and had expensive bottles of beer at Bukowski's Tavern.

Hey, that's exactly where I went! Shocked

Duuuude! wicked koinkidenk!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:01 pm
I read a police procedural about an Ecuadoran immigrant to NYC who became a police officer who left the force, all before the book started, and was now trying to figure out who killed the grocer up near 207th St. Good read. Oh, the title is "Soft Money" by k.j.a. Wishnia; interesting for a variety of reasons.

Burning Man takes place somewhere in the Bay Area - I keep hearing about it but I confuse it with Blue Man Group.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:02 pm
I drank a number of cups of green tea while reading a victorian novel. I'm getting so old.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:04 pm
Which one?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:06 pm
Yeah, JLN - which one?

And dag - funny!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:09 pm
The Vicar of Bullhampton (Anthony Trollope). Now THAT'S "old fogey". Trouble is, I enjoyed the evening. I wild stud like Gus wouldn't consider such an evening. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:44:09