Union Busting; how Reagan damaged today's working classes

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:19 am
Re: Diane
One of the reasons I was a successful union organizer is because I forewarned the employees of exactly the tactics the employer would use against them. As the employer started it's union busting campaign, the employees recognized a tactic because I had described it for them. They were not caught unaware and couldn't be fooled or frieghtened. I also told them some of the other employees would be recruited by the employer to act as shills for their employer and work against the election, and how they would operate. The other employees recognized the boss lovers and didn't listen to them.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:27 am
I once was a member of Teamsters. I worked at the Schraft's food plant in Manhattan. Before the union, they used to do things like dump ice water on the floor of the bathroom and have the window open, all in mid winter, to discourage workers from going in there. The one time I missed a day of work, they fired me. This despite showing the note I brought from the doctor. At the last instant, a right somebody saw the note, and I was quickly rushed back to my position. I attribute keeping my job solely to the union.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:46 am
Mame
Mame wrote:
I regret the need for unions.

Why do you regret the need for unions? Why shouldn't employees have the right to be unionized so that they are not powerless against employers and employer unions?

Most everyone else is organized. They just don't call them unions.

The following are a few of the Employer Unions who call themselves "associations" but they are employer unions:

The National Chamber of Comerce
The National Association of Manufacturers
The Associated Builders and Contractors
National Right to Work Committee

Why should employees be deprived of balanced power relationships with their employers?

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:50 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I once was a member of Teamsters. I worked at the Schraft's food plant in Manhattan. Before the union, they used to do things like dump ice water on the floor of the bathroom and have the window open, all in mid winter, to discourage workers from going in there. The one time I missed a day of work, they fired me. This despite showing the note I brought from the doctor. At the last instant, a right somebody saw the note, and I was quickly rushed back to my position. I attribute keeping my job solely to the union.

Edgar, tell us more!

The person who saved your job was probably an alert Union Shop Steward, who saved your job without having to file a grievance.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:55 am
I had never seen the fellow before, and he didn't stop to talk to me.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:33 am
When the Robber Barons were in power, there was child labor and wages so low that some couldn't afford to put food on the table.

Do you think those now in power want unions? They are no different, by sending their products to southeas Asia so the lowest paid workers can save them some money.

If anyone is interested, I highly recommend the book, Disposable People by Kevin Bales. It will sicken you, but you will be far better educated as to the lengths big corporations will go for the good of the bottom line.

The title represents the fact that there are so many people, all over the world, desperate for work that they are little more than slaves, more often they are truly slaves. And there are so many of them that they don't need to be treated humanely. They are disposable. When one of them dies, there are ten more to take his place. In other words, they wind up in the garbage can.

It isn't just the big corporations that close their eyes to the evil taking place. Many people from all over the world get nannies to take care of their children and their houses, without pay and without decent treatment. Manyof these women and girls are not allowed to ever leave the house.

What is it? An ego trip for egos that need huge amounts of support, getting something for nothing? Basically, it is evil in its worst possible form, no matter who is commiting the crime.

As long as the bottom line comes before humane treatment of employees, there will be a desperate need for unions.

And don't think I'm letting union leaders off Scot free. Not at all, they can be every bit as corrupt and greedy as corporation leaders. Open books, accountibility and other check points are the only ways to keep track of who is a crook and who isn't.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:40 am
When I was President of that CUPE local I had to fire the sorry ass of a Business Agent we had. The guy was operating independently, visiting workers and not reporting in full. We would get complaints from workers at every site. He would give them inappropriate and often wrong advice. He couldn't interpret the contract. He incited workers to foment distrust in the workplace. He was lazy and shiftless. He was sloppy. He missed meetings. He rarely showed up on time. He didn't understand the contract and he didn't understand negotiations. He filed grievances on bullshit. He was disrespectful and disrespected. He was a complete and utter ****.

He had the other large CUPE (techies) president as his rep. He wanted 3 months' pay.

I gave him nothing because he hadn't worked for his pay for a long, long time. He threatened me. I told him I'd take this to the membership. He left without any fanfare and without any severance. I just paid him out to the end of the month.

Call me a bitch, but I don't care who you are or what you're doing for work, if you don't earn your pay legitimately and honourably, you're out of my workplace.

Assholes are everywhere and unions are certainly not exempt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:52 am
Mame
Mame, one bad apple shouldn't spoil the union barrel of good apples.

What you describe is a management problem. Such a rotten employee could not get away with such behavior if there was proper managment control. Would a competent corporate manager let such a situation go on for a long time?

A bad employee can be fired for such behavior by having management document properly. If the employee resists firing, the grievance procedure is there to protect both the employer and the employee.

Most cases of such a rotten employee continuing is because managment failed to take the proper actions contained in the labor/management contract. If management has the factual documentation in a timely manner, the employee can be fired.

Who was this employee's supervisor and how long had this situation gone on before action was taken? Did the union employees have a union contract with the Union? If there was no union for the employees and no labor contract, then the employer has the power.

BBB
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
When the sacking of the air traffic controllers didn't cause a general strike you were a busted flush.

Blather all you want.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:02 am
Spendius
spendius wrote:
When the sacking of the air traffic controllers didn't cause a general strike you were a busted flush.

Blather all you want.

Would people with attitudes like yours have supported a general strike? Or would you have let all the unions hang out to dry?

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:11 am
unions have been a powerful voice for all working Americans
We know union members can build a better America because that is just what they have done at every crucial moment in our nation's history, from the days when the First Continental Congress met in Philadelphia -- in Carpenters Hall.

As Harvard economists James Medoff and Richard Freeman wrote nearly twenty-five years ago:
"Unions reduce wage inequality, increase industrial democracy and often raise productivity… in the political sphere, unions are an important voice for some of society's weakest and most vulnerable groups, as well as for their own members."

In our nation's public life, unions have been a powerful voice for all working Americans for 150 years. In the 19th century, they won the 10-hour day and then the 8-hour day so that succeeding generations could spend time with their families. In the years before the Great Depression, the unions helped America abolish child labor, establish workmen's compensation and protect workers' health and safety on their jobs. During the Depression, union members helped to preserve democracy and restore prosperity by enacting a federal minimum wage, overtime pay and a 40-hour week, creating social security and unemployment insurance, and thereby proving that our political system could serve the interests of the great majority of people. Labor's victories were America's victories.

In the succeeding years, union members helped America keep its promise of "liberty and justice for all." With the visionary leadership of A. Philip Randolph, the Sleeping Car Porters were the unsung heroes of the civil rights movement from the fight for the Fair Employment Practices Commission to the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington. Walter Reuther of the UAW was at Martin Luther King's side in 1963 at the March on Washington. Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach declared that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed but for the support and determination of the unions. And Dr. King gave his life supporting sanitation workers who walked off their jobs in Memphis to assert their human dignity. Union members led the fights for the Mine Safety Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Act, ERISA, and laws to protect migrant farm workers. The health care workers and nurses pushed for and won passage of the lastest improvement to our workplace safety laws in 2000, the Needlestick Safety and Prevention Act.

Through all these efforts, and so many more, America's unions made the United States a fairer, more productive, and healthier society.

Unions build our democracy as well as our economy. Union members and their families are more likely to vote than the average American, and organizations from the Red Cross to United Way benefit from the disproportionate contributions and participation of union members.

Unions in the Workplace

In our workplaces, unions promote opportunity, security, and fundamental fairness.

Through training programs and requirements that job openings be posted and filled fairly, unions help working Americans enjoy a fair chance to get ahead.

Unions make sure that workers are rewarded for their years of service and have regular hours that allow them to plan ahead and spend time with their families.

Union employers are less likely to violate civil rights laws, less likely to violate minimum wage and overtime laws, and more likely to follow workplace safety standards. Twenty-eight percent of coal miners, for example, work in union mines. Yet from 2004 to 2006, only 14% of fatalities occurred in union mines. The odds of dying in a non-union mine were more than twice as great as in a union mine.

Unions ensure due process. In every state but Montana, employment is at will. Employers can fire employees for no reason or any reason, except those specifically proscribed by law, which usually pertain to race, religion, age, gender or ethnicity. Employees with no union to protect them can be fired on a whim, for complaining, for whistleblowing, for dressing wrong, because the foreman doesn't like them, or for their appearance. Unions, by contrast, almost always demand and win a right to due process and a requirement that the employer establish just cause before disciplining or terminating an employee. By insisting on just cause and due process, unions give their members the security to complain, to have input into how a business is operated, to challenge unsafe, unfair, unlawful, unproductive or wasteful practices and to recommend better alternatives.

In times of hardship, unions help hardworking people have access to the benefits that they have earned, such as unemployment insurance, worker's compensation, or Trade Adjustment Assistance. Unions often advocate on behalf of their members with government agencies when benefits are denied or delayed.

Of course, unions' most important contribution is making work pay and compensation more equitable.

When one compares workers whose experience, education, region, industry, occupation and marital status are comparable, those covered by a union agreement enjoy:
• 14.7% higher wages
• 28.2% greater likelihood of having employer-provided health insurance
• 53.9% greater likelihood of having pension coverage
• 14.3% more paid time off

The union wage premium varies by race, ethnicity and gender, but is large for every group:
• Whites - 13.1%
• Blacks - 20.3%
• Hispanics - 21.9%
• Asians - 16.7%
• Men - 18.4%
• Women - 10.5%

In unionized settings there is much less inequality since people doing similar work are similarly paid, race and gender differentials are less, occupation differentials are less, and the wages of front-line workers are closer to that of managerial workers. Unions also lessen inequality because they are more successful at raising the wages of those in the bottom 60% of the wage pool.

It is important to note that even non-union employees benefit from the presence of unions in their industry and area. Because of the so-called "threat effect," non-union employers give their employees higher wages and more generous benefits in order to prevent their own employees from organizing. The clearest example is the Japanese and German transplant auto factories, which for 25 years have paid UAW wages to their non-union employees, even in the rural deep South where wages are generally low, in order to keep them from unionizing. Now that they perceive the UAW as weakened, the transplants are beginning for the first time to pay lower wages - $10-$15 an hour less in some cases.

More generally, unions have raised the standard for most employers and the expectations of most employees by negotiating paid lunch breaks, health benefit coverage, paid vacations, paid sick days, and paid holidays, none of which (shamefully) is required by federal law.

Complete testimony:
http://www.epi.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_efca_testimony_20070326
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
The effects of unions on competitiveness
The effects of unions on competitiveness

So do unions help or hurt companies? How does unionized Costco, for example, compete successfully with non-union Wal-Mart even though Costco's labor costs are 40% higher? How does Costco generate almost twice as much profit per employee as Wal-Mart's Sam's Club?

Decades of research show that unions can have substantial positive effects on firm performance.
At least four factors account for the positive impact on performance:

1. Unions give employees a voice in the workplace, allowing them to complain, shape operations, and push for change, rather than simply quitting or being fired. That leads to reduced cost from lower turnover.

2. Union employees feel freer to speak up about operations, leading to improvements that increase productivity. Employment security fuels collaboration and information sharing, leading to higher productivity.

3. Higher pay pushes employers to find other ways to lower costs - with new technology, increased investment, and better management.

4. Union employees get more training, both because they demand it and because management is willing to invest more to get a return on their higher pay.

Research shows that the likelihood of union firms closing or going bankrupt is no greater than for non-union firms. The bottom line is that union firms are just as productive as non-union firms. In the auto industry, for example, even though the non-union foreign transplant companies generally have newer facilities, 6 of the 10 most productive assembly plants are union.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:16 am
The Employee Free Choice Act
The Employee Free Choice Act
Lawrence Mishel,
president of the Economic Policy Institute in Washington, D.C.

I have shown that the decline in union representation has been a major cause of two disturbing trends in our economy: the rise in inequality and the failure of average working Americans to share in the benefits of rising productivity. By reducing the opportunity for employers to intimidate and discourage workers from unionizing after they have reached a collective decision to do so, the Employee Free Choice Act can help restore and spread the benefits that unions bring to workers and the economy.

Employees understand the benefits unions bring. Research by Harvard economist Richard Freeman (that I have attached to this testimony) shows that a majority of nonunion non-managerial workers in 2005 would have voted for a union if given the opportunity. If even half of the 58% of employees who want a union had one, the entire economy would be transformed, and I have no doubt that the result would be a much fairer distribution of the economic wealth our nation produces.

The authors of the Wagner Act understood perfectly well that individual employees cannot strike a fair bargain with much more powerful employers. They knew, as Sen. James Webb says, that employees need an agent. Their conclusions are still part of the National Labor Relations Act's Findings and Declaration of Policy:

"The inequality of bargaining power between employees who do not possess full freedom of association or actual liberty of contract, and employers who are organized in the corporate or other forms of ownership association substantially burdens and affects the flow of commerce, and tends to aggravate recurrent business depressions, by depressing wage rates and the purchasing power of wage earners…"

By requiring employers to accept their employees' choice of bargaining representative, deterring employer violations of the law, and by requiring arbitration of first contracts when necessary, the Employee Free Choice Act will help restore the purchasing power of average Americans and lift the living standards of the 90% of Americans who have endured the middle class squeeze or been left out of our economic gains altogether.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:05 am
bm
0 Replies