High food prices bringing back the Victory Garden

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:25 am
Victory Gardens are returning to U.S. families. High prices, food shortages, and food contamination is causing people to return to the idea of producing their own food.

The Victory Garden history

The world was at war. Resources of all kinds were being diverted to support national war efforts. Countries asked their citizens to help in every way that they could.

People dutifully funded the war by purchasing bonds, they conserved raw materials, they recycled, they rallied behind the troops, they helped their neighbors, they gave their lives, and they planted "Gardens for Victory".

Victory Gardens came in every shape and size. Governments and corporations promoted this call for self-reliance. People in all areas, rural and urban alike, worked the soil to raise food for their families, friends, and neighbors. Victory gardening enabled more supplies to be shipped to our troops around the world.

These concepts are very foreign to us in our post-war, global economy. For years we have been bombarded by marketing messages of consumerism, reliance on others, and have experienced nearly constant economic growth. A whole generation of young people know it no other way. As our population ages, we are losing the experiences and knowledge of the Great Depression and WW II from our society's psyche.

History is cyclical, the strong economy of the 1980s and 1990s has begun to weaken, and there are lessons to be learned from the past. It is always a good time to plant your own "Victory Garden".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,226 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:22 am
We never stopped. The garden is late this year, but at least we didn't have to replant due to frost/floods, as many have had to do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:44 am
Theres a gazillion AMericans whove been gardening some or much of their food, just for the pleasure and reward of fresh veggies. I pity people who only do things because someone else starts a trend.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:51 am
If I had to grow my own food, I would starve! I am probably one of the worst gardeners around. Sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
We had a garden growing up, but I was never much interested.

In the last couple of years, my thumb has become greener as far as garden plants and flowers.

I'd like to grow cherry tomatoes and cumcumbers in pots.

Is it too late in the season (Central Tx) to start them?

I guess I'd have to buy starter plants?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
A church in our neighbourhood (different denomination than mine) has turned their frontal property into a garden to grow food for the needy. They have a sign in front indicating this.

At first I thought it was for self promotion. Then I realized that without the sign people like me may never have thought of this novel idea which will help those in need.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:03 pm
BBB
I worked on my family's huge lot-size victory garden during WWII. We provided produce for everyone on our block. We also raised chickens for protein.

Now I'm too old to do that kind of work anymore so I have to depend on green grocers since most farmers' markets are to dangerous for me to try to walk on their graveled plots. I have two tomato plants in large pots that seem to be producing ok, which is a surprise after my previous failures. I tried planting strawberries three years ago in my raised planter without success.

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If I had to grow my own food, I would starve! I am probably one of the worst gardeners around. Sad

Here's a suggestion. You can buy topsoil for about $1/cubicfoot or cheaper if you have a truck to haul it in bulk. Get four 8' long 2x10's and nail them together to make a box. Dump about a cubic yard (27cf) of topsoil in it, then fertilize with a time release fertilizer such as Scotts or Trugreen. Plant. Water. Enjoy. Works every time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm
ahem....

what about me?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:22 pm
Chai wrote:
ahem....

what about me?

I don't know about your climate zone. It may be too late as you noted. If there are none of those for sale at a local nursery, it's probably too late, and they can confirm that. You might be able to wait though, and plant later in the year, and grow them as fall crops.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:28 pm
The climate zone here is "hot as hell"

Fall crop, hmmm that sounds good.

It doesn't cool down here until November.

August and September, the highs range between 95 and 100. October can get into the mid 80's, but toward the end the the month it cools down at night.

We don't get night freezes until December.
I planted tulip bulbs on December 2, my birthday, that's how I remember.

This morning it was 79 according to my car thermometer.

How long to they take to grow, so when would I plant this second crop.

It'd be great to have tomatoes and cumcumbers later in the year.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:30 pm
The ultimate front yard garden:

Path To Freedom: Urban Homesteading
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:34 pm
Cukes only take about 40-45 days. Tomatoes, 60-75, depending on variety.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:38 pm
great!

so, is it bad to plant them when it's hot?

if I planted in the beginning of aug, I'd have them by end of sept.

how about if I planted one plant @ the beginning of every month, so the results would be staggered?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Why would anyone want this...

http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/images/landscaping8d.gif

When they could have this...

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/nytimesgrd.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

you can get starter plants chai and be just fine.

Cover them with a plastic bag if they have not matured by the first frost
0 Replies

Chai

Green Witch wrote:
The ultimate front yard garden:

Path To Freedom: Urban Homesteading

WOW!

That's really ambitious

I'd be overwhelmed.

baby steps for me thanks.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

THAT... gw.. just gave me a garden boner..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
you can get starter plants chai and be just fine.

Cover them with a plastic bag if they have not matured by the first frost

shut up.

who asked you?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
THAT... gw.. just gave me a garden boner..

I SAID

SHUT UP!!
0 Replies