THE SHEEP , THE BEREAVED RELATIVES AND THE ARCHDEACON

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:43 pm
this story is too good to pass up !
i sure hope some sheep will be friendly enough to visit me some day !
hbg

Quote:
Graveyard sheep spark church row

Sheep being used by a church in East Sussex to tend the grass in its graveyard have led some relatives to accuse the authorities of disrespect.

St Mary's Church, in Tarring Neville, near Newhaven, has brought in the two ewes and two lambs to keep the grass short during the summer months.

But families of the deceased claim the sheep are not under control, are eating floral tributes and walking on graves.

The church said it had consulted on the use of the sheep, and many welcomed it.

It explained that as well as proving to be popular with visitors, it was a return to more ancient ways and cheaper than using a gardener to cut the grass.

The sheep, which are on loan for free from a local farmer, have been brought in to graze the grass at the back of the graveyard, while the area at the front is still cut by a lawnmower.

But Ray Baker said the sheep were unwelcome, and were "literally trampling over the graves, especially my grandparents' graves".

"They've ripped up plants several times... and we can't tend our graves."

Mr Baker said that as well as leaving droppings, the sheep had also broken some of the ancient tombs and dug away at the shingle on some of them.

"They want to keep the front of the church looking nice... but at the back, you just sweep it under the carpet," he added.

'Buried with sheep'

In a statement, a diocesan spokesman said it had never been the intention "to create difficulties or show any disrespect for the deceased".

He said the decision to introduce sheep on a temporary basis to tend parts of the churchyard was taken following consultation with the Archdeacon of Lewes and Hastings, who had been fully supportive.

Since their introduction, he said there had been many favourable comments from parishioners and some had "even expressed their desire to be buried with the sheep".

"The thinking has been to return the churchyard to the way it would have been for many hundreds of years, until the invention of mechanical devices for tending grass.

"Currently the western side of the churchyard has been left to go 'wild', the lower south side is being cut and the remainder grazed."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/sussex/7458576.stm

Published: 2008/06/17 10:13:36 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

source :
SHEEP IN THE CHURCHYARD

http://www.suffolkcam.co.uk/pakefield_sheep.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,390 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:52 pm
ha! this is the subject of debate in the Thrush Green book I'm reading right now. One of the characters suggested sheep, another has recommended her goats, the church council is getting upset.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:01 pm
sheep are safer , goats tend to rip out the grass .

in northern germany sheep are used to maintain the grass on the dikes that protect the low-lying lands from flooding by the north-sea .
the sheep keep the grass short and encourage deeper root-growth .

http://www.sheepcafe.de/images/nordsee/deichschafe.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:38 am
Sheep may safely graze?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jEXDPzqo2g
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:26 am
Every time I read this topic title, I think it's the start of a joke.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:44 am
jespah wrote:
Every time I read this topic title, I think it's the start of a joke.

Mutton to see here. Move along.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:36 am
Sheep aint economic grazers. They will chew one area down to bare ground and leave another to grow long. I still need to cut my pastures at least twice a year.

Also, sheep have an annoying habit of really getting down to scratching themselves on anything thats sturdy. I can se them knocking over tombstones by their scratching habit.
Kind of a dumb idea.

If you had goats, theyd eat the bushes cause goats are more browsers than grazers.

Also, goats are smarter than sheep and they figure things out and can slip fences really easily.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
Also, goats are smarter than sheep

The only thing dumber than sheep are chickens.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:00 pm
Meantime, I love the photo..

I have this odd artistic history in that I once took a photo of sheep in early spring field on a Chianti road and endeavored some time later to paint that. I managed never to put the sheep in the painting, and I did two of them, having to do also with leaving trees in or out. Saved a lot of miscellaneous sheep in field photos for a while, even sheep cartoons. And then all that passed. A decade or so later I picked up in an antique store an old postcard of sheep crossing a hill in the Pyrenees and I made another try. That's one of my favorite paintings by me, but, nah, I skipped the sheep, liked it without them. I have put horses in paintings, so it isn't a total erase-animal thing going on.

So here, out of the blue, another damned sheep photo..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:18 pm
let's see if this picture of sheep earning their keep by maintaining the dikes in northern-germany will survive .

http://images.zeit.de/bilder/2007/28/bildergalerien/galerien/bg-westerhever/01.jpg

you may notice that there are quite a few sheep stretching across the centre of the picture .
after the devastating stormflood in february 1962 - which killed hundreds of people and destroyed 400 km of dikes along the german north-sea coast - it was decided to bring in several hundred sheep and also some shepherds from bavaria to help with the dike maintainance .
when one walks along the costal dikes one can see large herds of sheep and the shepherds and their dogs doing a good job - and they fit right into the landscape .
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:19 pm
Quote:
The sheep, which are on loan for free from a local farmer

Even at free, I think they got fleeced.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:21 pm
Quote:
"They've ripped up plants several times... and we can't tend our graves."

That's flocked up.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:21 pm
How's the wether today?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:27 pm
dont take up bandwidth and hoggit. Give us some ewesful information,Cavron.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:29 pm
just have a listen . the sheep will tell you what the weather is like :

SHEEP GIVING WEATHER INFORMATION
0 Replies