Bastards Got Me Again! Unexpected 'membership'

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:44 pm
I bought something online at chadwicks. When I was done checking out, there was an offer for a $10 gift certificate for the next time I shopped at Chadwicks. Eh, why not? I signed up. Suddenly I am a member of Reservation Rewards and they'll be charging my card $12 per month. I printed one page with pertinent info on it, but they won't let me print a different page - also with info on it. I bookmarked it.

How do I do a print screen?

I sent them an email immediately demanding they cancel my membership. I'll call during business hours tomorrow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,876 • Replies: 25
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:49 pm
Grrrrrr....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:51 pm
bastids . . .
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:54 pm
Those farging bastiges, for picking on Littlek.

That happened to me a few years ago, but the company was good about removing me from their 'membership' as soon as I complained.

Too bad about Chadwicks, I always thought they were a reputable company.

Good luck, Littlek. This you need like a hole in the head.

Wish I could come up with a pithy, Roberta, remark.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:01 pm
I got nailed by a different company a couple years ago - called Home Improvements, I think.

Eh.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:08 pm
http://www.consumerwebwatch.org/dynamic/ecommerce-investigation-webloyalty.cfm

Note the suggestion at this link: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/311/RipOff0311906.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
Ugh! Canceled her accounts!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:29 pm
I got stung by a talking books download site recently.

I knew it was in the US, and that there are copyright issues, so I searched the small print re restrictions on downloading to Oz.

Nix.

Paid and took some time to search....paid a second monthly fee before I went to download...that was ok, I now had two download credits.

Oh what fun! Listening to books while I walk to work!!!~

Well, of course, every time I chose and went to download, I was told I could not download this book to my location.

I went to cancel my subscription, and demand my money back, because of failure to warn re limits of service, and went to the site to see how to email them.

Well, bugger me......"We don't take cancellations by email...ring this number....(which is free, WITHIN THE US....)"

I finally managed to find a way to email them, and did so, explaining that I was from Oz, and I was NOT going to spend MORE money ringing them to cancel, and that they were remiss in not warning all customers re copyright restrictions affecting their service, please attend to this.

Got the dreaded obsequious grovel grovel email - dear honoured and most excellent subscriber...we REALLY, REALLY care about you and all your honourable relatives and beg to be able to wash your feet with our tongues (how the poor service people must hate these form emails). We humbly beg to inform you that you must call us on our scabrous free number that we may worship you and cry in ecstasy while you insert your celestial heel in our anus.

Me: In Oz...not playing. Read the goddamn email.

Them: Oh celestial and godlike beloved customer....we note you are having trouble downloading our humble product...may your filthy servant explain to you how to download.

Me: No. Read the ******* email.

Them: We regret we have been unable to resolve your exalted problem, oh beloved one. We sadly refund your exalted gold.

Me: What about your corporate responsibility to warn foreign customers before fleecing tham?

Them: This humble slave will pass your words to those above.

(Me: In a pig's eye!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:55 pm
grrr. How is all that still legal?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:22 am
Re: Bastards Got Me Again! Unexpected 'membership'
littlek wrote:
If you use a separate keyboard; there is usually a button that says "Print Screen" (or an easily decipherable abbreviation of same) on it. Simply click that and then open your Paint program (usually found in accessories) and under edit you'll find paste. Then click save as jpg to easily add it to an email.
On a laptop; you may have to hold control, alt, or function button down while clicking the "Print Screen" (or an easily decipherable abbreviation of same). On mine, Fn is color coded blue and activates all controls printed in blue. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:14 am
I have a 'print screen sys rq' button that does nothing. Hmmm.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 10:40 am
What it does is, it dumps the screenshot into your clipboard, then you have to paste it elsewhere, e. g. a paint program or even into Word.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 11:25 am
littlek wrote:
What Jespah said. It doesn't actually print... it 'cuts' as in cut and paste. From there you need to paste it into a printer-friendly document if you want to actually print. I generally paste them into "Paint" then click "save as" and choose "JPG"... because that seems to be a universally understood format.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
littlek wrote:
I bought something online at chadwicks. When I was done checking out, there was an offer for a $10 gift certificate for the next time I shopped at Chadwicks. Eh, why not? I signed up. Suddenly I am a member of Reservation Rewards and they'll be charging my card $12 per month. I printed one page with pertinent info on it, but they won't let me print a different page - also with info on it. I bookmarked it.

I sent them an email immediately demanding they cancel my membership. I'll call during business hours tomorrow.

I would also tell Chadwicks you will never buy from then again because they allow this on their site.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 02:29 pm
littlek wrote:

One point to consider is that on some laptops, including mine, you have to press "Ctrl" or "Alt" along with "PrntScrn/SysReq". The behavior differs betweenn "Ctrl" and "Alt". "Ctrl-PrntScrn" copies your whole screen to the clipboard. "Alt-PrntScrn" copies only the window that's currently active -- which is most likely what you want.

As Bill and Jespah said, you then have to paste ("Ctrl-v") the copied image to whatever program you use to store images in. I typically use Paint or Word.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:20 pm
Green Witch wrote:
littlek wrote:

I would also tell Chadwicks you will never buy from then again because they allow this on their site.

She'd have to phone their scabrous number to do that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:21 pm
Ah, thanks for the tutorial all.

Greenwitch - I should.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
Mame wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
littlek wrote:

She'd have to phone their scabrous number to do that.

Also, perhaps she DOES wish to buy from this pestilential emporium again?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:24 pm
Oho! I just got a cancellation confirmation from the bastids. On a Sunday! They still suck. I am aware of this bullshit and still got sucked in. What about all those who aren't? I wonder if Chadwicks even knows they've tagged onto their site.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:28 pm
littlek wrote:
Oho! I just got a cancellation confirmation from the bastids. On a Sunday! They still suck. I am aware of this bullshit and still got sucked in. What about all those who aren't? I wonder if Chadwicks even knows they've tagged onto their site.

My understanding is that the host site gets a kick back on anyone who gets sucked into the scam.
0 Replies