Darwin's Dystopia

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
Quote:
But if you disagree with another member on a subject, must that member be eternally damned and never be allowed to comment on that subject forever without self-proclaimed judges jumping all over him

Pretty much. If a member spouts the same crap over and over, I suppose we could make an alphaneumeric code that embodies my complaints. As for you, you may wish to wear your blinders and attempt to present yourself as a voice of "reason", I dont buy that one either.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:16 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
But if you disagree with another member on a subject, must that member be eternally damned and never be allowed to comment on that subject forever without self-proclaimed judges jumping all over him

Pretty much. If a member spouts the same crap over and over, I suppose we could make an alphaneumeric code that embodies my complaints. As for you, you may wish to wear your blinders and attempt to present yourself as a voice of "reason", I dont buy that one either.

I know you don't. And that's your prerogative. As it is my prerogative to think it boorish and trollish behavior to come onto a thread purely for the purpose of trashing a member and self-righteously proclaiming oneself judge and jury of that person's intent and worth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:17 am
Its a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
In a note in Isis Unveiled Madame Blavatsky discusses a "Hanoverian scientist" who wrote about Darwin being mistaken in tracing man's development from apes and apes actually being a form of degenerate (we would say) evolution from man.

She writes-

Quote:
And, as one portion has already degenerated into apes, so the civilized man of the present day will at last, under the action of the inevitable law of necessity, be also succeeded by like descendents. If we may judge of the future by the actual present, it certainly does seem possible that so unspiritual and materialistic a body as our physical scientists should end as simia rather than as seraphs.

The argument from landscape predicts that the European stock of the Americas will be moulded back into the aboriginal forms they found there and which had evolved within that landscape.

Perhaps those on the side of Christianity in this debate have such things in mind.

Are there any scientific rebuttals of these statements?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:06 pm
spendi
Quote:
The argument from landscape predicts that the European stock of the Americas will be moulded back into the aboriginal forms they found there and which had evolved within that landscape.

You just continue to post irrelevant quotes (if indeed that was even a quote from authority , because the author seems so ill informed from the start). Read your Owen and Wendt.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:09 pm
After all, it is Christianity which has given us partial relief from barbarism, I think it safe to say, so the demise of Christianity will presumably return us to that state given the natural human propensities only governed by regulations which are themselves a challenge to a particular propensity of mankind.

The early stages of such a demise will be characterised by a surface gloss brushed onto everything which dazzlingly reflects the dying Christian tradition, being magnified by energy sources long buried deep in the earth, as if to make out it is still strong. A divorcee being married in white in a church for example with the full panoply of religious ceremonial when in actual fact it's a monkey which has run around the back of another bush.

Or carols being sung when the booze-up crowd start getting a bit maudlin.

Saccharine Christianity.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:24 pm
Spendius, you really are crazy, aren't you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
I don't know. Who am I to judge such a matter. Words don't mean a thing outside the head of a reader.

Try a novel in Japanese if you don't believe me. A boddice ripper if you like.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:11 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Read your Owen and Wendt.

No thanks.

We can pretend that two chaps are getting married with catcher dressed in a white bridal outfit and the pitcher in---umm---not black--a pale pastel yellow. Say. And we can throw confetti on the happy couple. And we can get them two little babies to play with.

We can re-name the little mite in the womb the "blastocyst", in classic Goebell's style, in the name of medical science, selfishness and convenience. But only at 23.59.99 rec hrs on a certain date agreed by the experts as being nine months to the split second of the moment the egg allowed an approved wriggler to penetrate its defences.

We can even render birth control "romantic".

And that's tame by the side of representing a short interlude of a mechanical nature in a White House store-room as "sex".

Everything in the garden is luverly. It has to be.

But it makes no difference. It's fake.

Why bother with all this gloss? Let's sweep away all this superstitious nonsense. It's out of date.

The truth will out--they say.

Let's get it over with. The Matron at my school ripped the sticking plasters off fast and they used real glue in those days.

Let's go fm. Shake Baby Shake.

Serial monogamy on a daily basis sounds terrible to me at my stage but I can see how it might have had its attractions in the olde days having done a couple of wife-swapping parties in my time.

Do you know what it's like fm to flash your lights at the junction to a lady returning from dropping her daughter off at school and getting the shopping in who you had had it up the previous Friday night, and her sister, at her 7th anniversary barbecue.

Wife swapping parties were the "in" thing when I was running with the movers and shakers.

They are all into garden centres now and holidays in far away places and such things as cleaning sea-food out of the bowthrusters.

I nearly forgot that.

History has no record of a non-Christian cleaning sea-food out of the bowthrusters. It's so, so Christian.

A Pagan, an Aztec heart-throb, a Buddhist monk, a Tahitian virgin (see Gaugin) on the cusp, would have laughed at the thought of cleaning sea-food out of the bowthrusters. Goodstlye.

Methinks you AIDsers have a tendency to oversimplify things because you feel demeaned at the thought of being confused and not knowing what's going on. By oversimplifying everything you get it all within your intellectual compass and it comforts you.

I gave up on that stuff years ago.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:40 pm
Apparently gunga dim has chosen to abandon another of his lame threads .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:45 pm
fm writes-

Quote:
Get your gardens started before its too late.

Do you supply kit to garden centers fm?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 09:25 pm
farmerman wrote:

He gets a little visibility for his causes. That's probably all he wants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:01 am
rosborne979 wrote:
farmerman wrote:

He gets a little visibility for his causes. That's probably all he wants.

Yeah, Gunga Dim (kudos, Boss) dropped this one like a hot rock. Sometimes he follows his threads for a while and attempts to defend what passes for a thesis--but not this one. As the Gin'ril has pointed out, he's been slammed on this bullshit so many times i doubt the had the heart to fight it out again. He also now knows that there is more than enough material to bury him.

That Fox shows herself to be a real bitch, though, doesn't she? She's always so "sweetness and light" with her routine about treating other members with respect, but she shows her true colors with this:

Foxfyre wrote:
I'm sorry if you are incapable of integrating more than one thought at a time--maybe it is something in your genes?

Coming from such a thoroughly self-demonstrated intellectual lightweight as Fox, that's really rich. But it does clarify her "Church Lady" character and her hypocrisy.

In the end, though, Roswell has nailed it--Gunga Dim is just following a favorite tactic of the bible-thumpers who attack science. It's ironic, in fact, since it is the "big lie" tactic which Hitler perfected. Tell the same lies often enough, and shout them loudly enough, and they'll gain currency even without the least shred of plausible support for the idiotic claims embodied in them. Therefore, clowns like Gunga and Fox end up being clever despite themselves by copying those who really are clever, in the employment of one of Hitler's favorite techniques.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 09:12 am
Foxfyre wrote:

For instance, is the following (from that article) incorrect? If so how? If you disagree with the conclusions reached, why not say why those conclusions are wrong?

Quote:
Darwin doesn't even come close to making this conclusion. In fact Darwin would probably draw a different conclusion. He notes in Origin of species that quite often traits come with side effects. Blue eyes in cats also means the cat is deaf. I can find nowhere where anyone could logically infer this from Darwin's actually writings. If you can find it then please point it out Fox.
Here is the entire paragraph. Point out where it says anything about man breeding man

Quote:
Man may be excused for feeling some pride at having risen, though not
through his own exertions, to the very summit of the organic scale; and the
fact of his having thus risen, instead of having been aboriginally placed
there, may give him hope for a still higher destiny in the distant future.
But we are not here concerned with hopes or fears, only with the truth as
far as our reason permits us to discover it; and I have given the evidence
to the best of my ability. We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to
me, that man with all his noble qualities, with sympathy which feels for
the most debased, with benevolence which extends not only to other men but
to the humblest living creature, with his god-like intellect which has
penetrated into the movements and constitution of the solar system--with
all these exalted powers--Man still bears in his bodily frame the indelible
stamp of his lowly origin.

Quote:
Quote:

Second, if good breeding gives us better results, pushing us up the evolutionary slope, then bad or indiscriminate breeding drags us back down. "IfÂ…various checksÂ…do not prevent the reckless, the vicious and otherwise inferior members of society from increasing at a quicker rate than the better class of men," Darwin groaned, "the nation will retrograde, as has occurred too often in the history of the world. We must remember that progress is no invariable rule."

Taken quite out of context. It completely ignores Darwin's later refutation of that statement.

Quote:
To believe that man was aboriginally civilised and then
suffered utter degradation in so many regions, is to take a pitiably low
view of human nature. It is apparently a truer and more cheerful view that
progress has been much more general than retrogression; that man has risen,
though by slow and interrupted steps, from a lowly condition to the highest
standard as yet attained by him in knowledge, morals and religion.

Quote:

Now to Hitler. The first, most important thing to understand is that the link between Darwin and Hitler was not immediate. That is, nobody is making the case that Hitler had Darwin's eugenic masterpiece The Descent of Man
Darwin's eugenic masterpiece? WTF is that? Find the word "eugenic" anywhere in Descent of Man". Find any reference by Darwin to breeding man to better society.
Quote:

in one hand while he penned Mein Kampf in the other. Darwin's eugenic ideas were spread all over Europe and America,
No evidence of them being "Darwin's ideas"
Quote:
until they were common intellectual coin by Hitler's time[/u]. That makes the linkage all the stronger, because we are not talking about one crazed man misreading Darwin but at least two generations of leading scientists and intellectuals drawing the same eugenic conclusions from evolutionary theory as Darwin himself drew.
Where did Darwin make these "eugenic conclusions"? MOre nonsense by the author. If you put "eugenics" and Darwin in enough sentences people will think there is a link it seems.
Quote:

For me the world is not a simple place and I have long been a student of the psychological conditioning and processes that go into the value system of any society and/or individual.
Then you should recognize the psychological conditioning you have been subjected to of claiming Darwin was for eugenics.

Quote:
There was a time when segregation was considered a normal policy in this country and a majority of Americans had no problem with it.
Which does nothing to show that Darwin wrote for eugenics.
Quote:
Now, a tiny tiny minority thinks there is any moral or practical justification for segregation. There was a time when certain words were simply not used in polite society or allowed on the radio or in the movies. Now those words are commonplace and most people don't think of them as unusual anymore. There was a time when you wouldn't see two people in bed on television or in the movies--if they were even ON the bed together, somebody's foot had to be on the floor. Well, as you know all that has change.

The older I get, the more there is to observe of the dynamics and shifts in societal attitudes. Is it necessary to link Darwin's quite innocent observations and theories to what a crazed Hitler might have made of them? Of course not.

Is it interesting? It is to me.
You fail to ask the necessary question. Is it truthful?
And that is not Gunga's fault. It is yours for not asking that question.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:35 am
farterman, which is just as valid for "Kudos Boss" as Gunga dim is, wrote-

Quote:
You just continue to post irrelevant quotes (if indeed that was even a quote from authority , because the author seems so ill informed from the start). Read your Owen and Wendt.

in response to a simple question which was-

Quote:
Are there any scientific rebuttals of these statements.

Which were the quote from Madame Blavatsky and the argument from landscape which is a key factor in evolution theory. See previous page.

So it looks as if there are no scientific rebuttals coming our way soon. All we get is a two inane assertions, both devoid of meaning, and an instruction on what I should read.

We are back to fm's definition of "discuss" which I might remind viewers is fm talking and not listening to others and the quote above is a perfect example of it.

contrex wrote-

Quote:
Spendius, you really are crazy, aren't you?

Crazy is defined by majority opinion. As majority opinion suffers from IADS (Internet attention deficit syndrome) and I don't, you could well be right old son. It was very perspicacious of you to notice and uncommonly decent of you to take the trouble to point it out for those viewers unable to make up their own minds on such an unimportant matter.

What do any of my personal characteristics have to do with how what I write is understood? I just don't understand how an assertion about my condition can be related in any way to the words I wrote in posts 3277604/661.

Would you explain any other connection between my mental state and those posts besides the one that declaring me crazy absolves you from responding to them in an intelligent way which is the one in operation and which we on the science threads are already quite familiar with.

Sotanta- is there any chance of you posting something you couldn't have posted many years ago and showing that you are developing and not still running on the spot like the silly little twottle you are.

Nothing dramatic. Just something. Anything at all.

The tiniest sign of progress would restore our faith in your brilliant intelligence.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
Yeah, Gunga Dim (kudos, Boss) dropped this one like a hot rock. Sometimes he follows his threads for a while and attempts to defend what passes for a thesis--

You drop out of threads for lengthy spells as well and, as far as I remember, nobody is ignorant enough to pop up like a Jack-in-a-box and start wittering about hot rocks. gunga may well be indisposed. Your presence on the thread has been a sufficient reason for others to drop out.

Your capacities for presumption on which to base your feeble arguments seemingly knows no limit. That is a general characteristic of AIDsers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 01:54 pm
There is a difference, Dipshit, between not responding to a thread being trashed by a troll like you, and starting a thread but never returning to respond, which is the case here.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 03:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
In the end, though, Roswell has nailed it--Gunga Dim is just following a favorite tactic of the bible-thumpers who attack science. It's ironic, in fact, since it is the "big lie" tactic which Hitler perfected. Tell the same lies often enough, and shout them loudly enough, and they'll gain currency even without the least shred of plausible support for the idiotic claims embodied in them.

It'll be interesting to see how this strategy plays out for the thumpers and creationists. For years scientists have just been ignoring arguments from ignorance, but the strategy of ignoring them seems to have resulted in a slow corruption of public education and public perception.

I believe that the Internet "Information age" has brought much of this slow corruption to light, but it's also made interest in these subjects/debates something the media now recognizes and exploits (as they should).

But the more visible these debates become, the more I think the thumpers and creationists will begin to lose. Ultimately, the knowledge science provides us is far too function to simply be debated away philosophical ramblings or even mere denial.

Even though we can trash Gunga's (and Thumpers and creationists) claims easily, by doing so we inherently give air-time to them. But I think that's a necessary evil. Ignoring dim-witted and prejudiced views of things is not a good way to make them go away.

The people who really understand various aspects of science, need to speak up, as we do here on A2K. It's as important for scientists to spread their knowledge as it is for them to continue their research.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
Word
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:12 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
Ultimately, the knowledge science provides us is far too function to simply be debated away philosophical ramblings or even mere denial.

Yesh. I shee you point rosh. Very shenshible it ish too.
0 Replies