Indoor / outdoor ivy?

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 11:11 am
From my idea of building some lattice work and standing it behind my window unit AC.. I am thinking of training a vine of some kind to go up it to help with shade and privacy..

My first thought was to just seed some morning glory, grapes or something like that..

but, I have this ivy in the house that I got from one clipping about a year ago that I have literally put every where.
it grows quickly.. quite common.. and doesnt take a lot of extra care.

But, I dont know how well it will do outside.

When I type in keywords like household ivy, common ivy.. ec.. I dont find this exact plant. It isnt RARE.. I just cant find it.

Anyone know if it is a good idea to put this outside-

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9166/dsc8490ln6.jpg

The balcony gets pretty hot in the summer because it is dark wood.
It gets a lot of straight sunshine all day.. if not 99% of the day . I tis south facing and the over hang of the building only supplies a few short minutes of shade each morning and evening.
There IS room to put it back into shade if need be, and then it will only get direct evening sun for about 3 hours.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,391 • Replies: 14
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:10 pm
sshewolf
Your ivy is a house plant. The following may help:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/growingivy.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:11 pm
It's not ivy... I can't remember the more common name for it but it's Epipremnum aureum or Pothos (neither is the name I know it by):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:13 pm
pothos is what I call it
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:19 pm
Common name: "Devils Ivy" or "Golden Pothos&q
Common name: "Devils Ivy" or "Golden Pothos"
Latin name: Scindapsus aureus - syn Epipremnum aureum

Native to: Solomon Islands

Growth habit: A low growing vining plant generally not over 18" tall unless grown on a pole. Vines can reach 10 feet in length.

Flowers: No

Temps: Normal indoor temps

Humidity: Not critical.

Pests: Not affected by many pests, but I have seen Mealy Bug on rare occasion.

Lighting:

Houseplant: 6" Golden Pothos Hanging Basket

Houseplant Cultural information: All of the family members of the Scindapsus or Pothos family are amongst the easiest houseplants to grow. Anybody can keep one alive and thriving, even those with a black thumb!

There are four main varieties of this very popular houseplant that is readily available; Pothos Gold, Pothos Marble Queen, Jade Pothos and the newer chartreuse green Neon Pothos. They are all equally easy to care for.

When you first bring home a new Golden Pothos plant that was purchased from the local garden center, the plant will have an over abundance of leaves due to the excellent lighting conditions of the greenhouse. In the home or office environment lighting is not as good, so the Golden Pothos will naturally shed leaves during the acclimation process. Don't be to alarmed if your new Golden Pothos plant sheds 20 or 30 leaves during its first month at its new home.

Golden Pothos can be kept virtually anywhere in the home or office. If there is enough light to read by, you can grow a Golden Pothos in that location. About the only place a Golden Pothos won't thrive is full hot sun and total darkness.

Check the soil of a new Golden Pothos every few days for watering until you become familiar with the plants needs. When the surface soil has dried about 1/2" down it's time to water. Usually once a week. Water thoroughly all the way around the plant until water runs from the drainage holes. Excess water should be removed to help prevent root rot. Golden Pothos is not finicky about water quality, so regular tap water will be just fine.

Propagating Pothos is really easy. When the vines become unmanageable, trim them back to any where you like. The vines can be easily rooted in water or vermiculite. Once rooted, pot several vines together in any high quality houseplant potting soil available from our sponsor.

Fertilize Golden Pothos once a month when actively growing with Peter's House Plants Special. If inactive feed quarterly.

Golden Pothos is available from small starter plants in 3" pots to large hanging baskets. They are also grown on wood or foam totem poles in varying heights and several container sizes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 12:22 pm
Shewolf, if you do decide to plant ivy, be sure to ask your landlord, if you are renting. Ivy will spread aggresively, covering a building and sometimes causing siding and roof tiles to come loose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 04:43 pm
There is a small ivy, the Hahn's variety of Hedera helix, but I'm not familiar with just how aggressive it is, or if it grows outdoors in your zone. I'll say that my first thought was "eek, ivy in the air conditioner..." I think Algerian ivy is the most aggressive, as in head for the hills...

And, yes, that's pothos.

How about a nice espaliered something or other? Meaning a shrub that is pruned to grown against a wall....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:19 pm
Just to clarify, I wont grow any plant against the actual building.
Im building a small piece of lattice work that will be put into the bottom of the pot for the plant, and i will train the plant up the lattice.

make sense?

Now I know the reason I cant find it Wink It isnt ivy .
Oh well.
It grows pretty quickly.. (at least for me it does).. i was hoping it would survive. Some of those leaves get HUGE if I dont prune them back.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:34 pm
Well, Ivy has little "feet" and will go through the lattice and attach to a building.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:38 pm
ON ESPALIERS

They don't have to be pruned in the "candelabra" form.

I'll be back with some kind of list and some photos.

MORE, AND PERHAPS A BETTER EXPLANATION
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:42 pm
all i know about ivy i learned as a child

mareseatoats
anddoeseatoats
andlittlelambseativy
akid'lleativytoo
wouldn'tyou
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:47 pm
Here's a partial list - although I'd avoid Ficus pumila like the bubonic plague.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG273#TABLE_2

I like star jasmine in espaliered form but it can get fast, thus needing to be kept from air conditioner openings, and the scent could be considered too strong.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 05:55 pm
Shewolf, what osso said. Ivy will reach out and climb on anything, not just a lattice.

Djjd, aren't you too young to know that song? My god, it is from my era, in the days of dinosaurs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 06:19 pm
One more list. Some of the plants on these lists are trees, and if planted inground will get pretty big... but shrubs should be okinground or in a pot..

http://www.wilsonbrosnursery.com/AllAboutEspalier.html
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 02:54 am
Consider a clematis shewolf.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/clematis_1.asp
0 Replies