aperson

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:22 pm
@maporsche,
Interesting. Another problem I might have would be finding the time to sleep. Night time wouldn't be a problem, but the day would be tricky. I suppose I could sleep during lunch and maybe after school, or uni or whatever. The problem with that is that I usually have sport or other commitments. Also do you think the body's sleep cycle could adjust finely enough that you would feel tired at those specific times?

Finally, has any scientific research been done on polyphasic sleep? Does it actually make you need to sleep less? And if so, why? I don't believe in fairy tales, and this is no exception. I need proof, or at least evidence.
maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 10:54 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

Interesting. Another problem I might have would be finding the time to sleep. Night time wouldn't be a problem, but the day would be tricky. I suppose I could sleep during lunch and maybe after school, or uni or whatever. The problem with that is that I usually have sport or other commitments. Also do you think the body's sleep cycle could adjust finely enough that you would feel tired at those specific times?

This is definately a problem. Everything I've read said that it has to be followed perfectly or VERY close to be effective. And yes, also supposedly you're body adjusts to those times after a few weeks.

Quote:

Finally, has any scientific research been done on polyphasic sleep? Does it actually make you need to sleep less? And if so, why? I don't believe in fairy tales, and this is no exception. I need proof, or at least evidence.

The government has done quite a few sleep studies on soldiers (make sense, since they really don't sleep; it would be helpful to know how they'll perform). It's not easy to find their research....and there isn't much else out there that I trust.....a lot of anecdotal evidence though to at least make it interesting to try.
aperson

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 01:27 am
@maporsche,
So bang on time every day?

Another question: what is the optimum sleep time and frequency?

I will probably end up trying it and recording my own results.
0 Replies

purebredchaos

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:07 am
Well, if you do the math and live to be 100, by sleeping 8 hours a night, everyday of your life, you will have spent 33.3 years of your life sleeping. Think about it. 33.3 years! To me, that is an extreme waste of time. I just can not fathom wasting away that much of my precious alloted time on this earth. I usually strive for 4-5 hours a night.
0 Replies

claudine

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:25 am
Many of us don't want to sleep. for us there are many a things that are more seems more important and interesting than sleep. But just as water, air, food and exercise is important for good health and happiness of life, so is sleep. The quality of your sleep directly affects the quality of your waking life, including your mental sharpness, productivity, emotional balance, creativity, physical vitality, and even your weight. Do not deprive yourself from sleep. There are a lot who are suffering from sleep disorders and are searching for remedy so that they can also get good quality sleep.
Licaria

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 01:26 am
@aperson,
I'm the one who can stay awake for more than 48 hours, and fall sleep for 12 hour after that.

I hate it. Sleep, I mean.
0 Replies

AdamNoz

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 06:37 am
@claudine,
I completely agree with you about the importance of a good night’s sleep and the effect it has on everyday life. I either go through stages of having weeks of sleeping normally and not worrying about it through to having days of not being able to sleep, even though I'm exhausted from not sleeping. Sometimes it relates to stress other times it doesn't so I can't work it out! I must say when I exercise more and drink less coffee and alcohol, I sleep better and last year I bought a new mattress which suddenly helped my sleep enormously.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 07:49 pm
Sleep is your friend, embrace the slumber: be ... be ... the snooze.
0 Replies