When Will the Sun Set?

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:50 am
There must be a formula for figuring out when the sun will set in a given part of the world, right?

I want to show an outdoor movie on June 21, 2008 in North Carolina and I need to be able to let residents know ahead of time when the movie will start.

How do I figure that out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 12
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:54 am
When the suns sets doesn't necessarily mean darkness.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:55 am
Sunrise & Sunset Times for Charlotte N. Carolina June 2008
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:58 am
Re: When Will the Sun Set?
squinney wrote:
There must be a formula for figuring out when the sun will set in a given part of the world, right?

I want to show an outdoor movie on June 21, 2008 in North Carolina and I need to be able to let residents know ahead of time when the movie will start.

How do I figure that out?

Hell, the last time I calculated such was in the Naval Colleg .... 40 years ago.

I used tables after that time - you can do so, too: try this one
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 12:06 pm
Here's a table for Raleigh

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=207
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 12:16 pm
i was scratching my head, because there was a one hour difference between mine and JPB's, then i notice that my chart says "add one hour for DST if applicable"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 12:21 pm
The link I gave, includes quite a lot of locations in NC .... and even the Civil Twilight, the Nautical Twilight, the Astronomical Twilight, Moon phases ... additional for most places in the world via the homepage
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:05 pm
Very Happy

Thanks all. I knew the weatherpersons had to have some way of knowing this in order to report it each day. My searches were not getting me anything for east coast.

Re sunset does not equal darkness... No, but I can start watching over the next few days to get an idea for a "start gathering" time and have some other little activities going until it does get dark enough for the movie to show.

Walter - you were exactly who I expected to have an answer from in the form of a long hand naval formula. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:10 pm
squinney wrote:

Walter - you were exactly who I expected to have an answer from in the form of a long hand naval formula. Laughing

That's what the astro-physics teacher expected as well, and I had to disappoint him in those days, too ... Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:12 pm
Buy a box of cheap sunglasses, and hand them out to the audience.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:15 pm
squinney wrote:
Very Happy

Re sunset does not equal darkness... No, but I can start watching over the next few days to get an idea for a "start gathering" time and have some other little activities going until it does get dark enough for the movie to show.

. Laughing

Has our relationship become so strained, squinney, that you can no longer refer to me by name, but rather use the simple Re:, as if I am merely a part of the language to toss around in a cavalier fashion?

How dare you!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:50 pm
You know you love it when I toss you around whether it be cavalierly or otherwise, Gus.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 05:57 pm
Get a free planetarium program - like CDC (Cartes du Ciel - charts of the sky), set your latitude and longitude and advance time until you see the Sun set - then add 30 - 45 minutes for it to get past twilight.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/
0 Replies