nuclear power station

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 03:05 am
can someone show me some key words about " the leak of nuclear power station"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,052 • Replies: 10
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 03:57 am
danger radioactivity death
0 Replies

Melodyzhong

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 04:14 am
more?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 04:35 am
Why i should do your homework?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:57 am
contrex wrote:
danger radioactivity death

Funny! The only attributed death to the incident at TMI was a heart attack that resulted from the panic created by the media. Chernobyl; however, was a different condition that demonstrates the effectiveness of containment domes and the different power reactor technologies used in the west. I might also point out that power generation using coal for fuel has released orders of magnitude more radioactive contamination to the atmosphere than all of the PWR's and BWR's used worldwide.

Personally, I think if you do some reasoned investigation you'll find that nuclear power generation has proven to be the safest most environmentally benign present technology used to generate electricity.

As for researching leaks of radioactive materials to the public, I'd look at nuclear medicine---the material controls in nuclear medicine are much looser than any nuclear power station.

Rap
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:03 am
Do you work for a nuclear power company? Define "reasoned".

Windscale 1957 in Britain is said to have caused around 400 cancer deaths.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:17 am
Windscale, like Chernobyl was a graphite reactor that caught fire (according to suprisingley similar reactor physics) --like Chernobyl it had no containment. Unlike Chernobyl, Windscale was a research reactor.

Granted, there have been fatalities in the nuclear industry several here in the US (mostly in weapons production). But the nuclear fatalities are nothing, even including Chernobyl, to the environmental impact, mining fatalities, and air pollution compared to coal power.

BTW France has a most enlightened policy toward nuclear produced electricity. France has standardized on a single Westinghouse based PWR design (including control room layout) and varies the design only where necessary as dictated by local geography and geology. As a result, France has become a net exporter of the exemplar of softly produced electricity.

In answer to your final question, no I'm not an employee of the Nuclear industry--I am a simple engineer (and environmentalist) who has been able to reason beyond the emotional reaction toward the word "Nuclear."

Rap
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:43 am
But the question, raprap, was what keywords would you attribute to "leak of nuclear power station"?

Are you saying a leak would not cause dangerous environmental damage and even maybe a huge number of deaths and mutations like the Chernobyl incident?

The question here isn't, "Is the nuclear industry safe"? The question is specifically about what happens when nuclear power gopes wrong.

Frankly, a key word I'd use would be Chernobyl. Fine example of what happens when you don't follow a decent safety guideline.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 02:06 pm
Your right Wolf--I would also add Windscale and SL-1 to that list. And the Soviets, in their rush to develope the 'Bomb" also had some incidents with pretty dramatic consequence. Nevertheless, most of the nuclear incidents (all with the exception of Chernobyl as far as I know off of the top of my head) that resulted in the consequence of radiation fatalities were in the development of weapons.

Reminding me of the Bumper Sticker "Nuclear Power is safer than Ted Kennedy's car."

Rap
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 02:25 pm
Re: nuclear power station
Melodyzhong wrote:
can someone show me some key words about " the leak of nuclear power station"?
paranoia, narrow-minded, foolish.
0 Replies

Melodyzhong

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 02:28 am
contrex wrote:
Why i should do your homework?

It's not my homework.
It's a project of my teacher's.
I'm collecting the information to help him.
0 Replies