Basic Digital Camera For Technophobe Beginner

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:57 am
I want to buy my wife the most basic, most automatic digital camera; the one with the fewest manual settings. The one geared toward those intimidated by technology, but still wanting the latest. This is not sexism at work. She really wants a digital camera, but the most beginner-friendly one. Are there any brands or specific models out there that clearly fit the bill? PictBridge connectivity would be a plus. I was thinking a Kodak because of its history of making products for the general consumer, but I might be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,387 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:33 am
Any of the newest digital cameras can do want you want. I like Cannon personally. Spend around $300.00 out the door, and you'll be on easy street.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:23 am
I had a Kodak and the thing stopped working after about a year and a half, if that helps. I also hear that Canons are good. If you look around, you can get a Canon Sureshot for only a little more than $100.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 06:15 pm
I have a camera that can get very specific. There are settings and adjustments for all kinds of things, but there is also an Auto setting. This is the one that just takes pictures, and makes some automatic adjustments for better pics.

I use that most of the time. Lately I have been trying to learn about more of the features, one at a time. For instance, there is a setting for Fireworks, and this 4th of July I'm going on a special trip. I want to learn how to use that setting so I can shoot good fireworks photos while I'm on my trip.

But I don't have to do anything for a good picture, just point and shoot. I advise looking for a camera in your price range that your wife feels comfortable handling -- not too big or too small, fits well in the hand, the shutter button is in a logical place, that sort of thing.

Go out and handle a few -- most non-camera stores (like Target) seem to have cameras on a chained display so you can pick them up before you buy. As you hone in on your choice you can ask the clerk to show you an "unchained" one.

Good luck!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 06:45 pm
I know several people with this Minolta that not only have put it through hell, but get rather consistent clear photos with it .

There are a few options to it that , if someone wants to, they can learn a few 'techie' style things.. but nothing intimidating, and there is nothing that you HAVE to adjust to make good pictures.

I shoot with a d80, and I have used this Minolta before just for fun and I liked it for being what it is . A simple pocket camera with some extras that is reliable, is able to withstand some pretty tough abuse, AND is easy to use.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 06:16 am
Konica Minolta is no longer in the camera business. It was bought out by Sony a few years ago, and Sony will service them.

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/

It looks like it was a great camera, for its time. You probably won't be able to get your hands on a new Minolta Dimage. A couple of Amazon resellers have the camera, but they are refurbished.

http://www.amazon.com/Minolta-Dimage-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B0000BYO7U/ref=pd_bbs_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213231391&sr=8-11

It connects to a pc with a usb 1.1. That is obsolete, as is the 5 megapixels.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 06:30 am
Wow. I didnt know you could not get them brand new

Now I wonder how long they have had them ? ( friends of mine)
5 megapixels isnt exactly obsolete..
You dont want a tiny pocket camera with 10 megs. A little camera can not handle or process that many megs and you end up with less then sharp photos and the probability for noise is incredibly high. Just because the amount of megapixels a camera 'has' is high, does not mean that the photo quality will be better. It truly depends on how well the camera handles those pixels. Sometimes.. how a camera can handle pixels though , is not obvious to the naked eye.. and you need something like photoshop to see the difference.. but I am getting side tracked..

To get the maximum out of your megapixels you need a comparable camera, or there is no difference between 3, 5 or 9 megapixel cameras except the cost.

With that Minolta you get exactly what it provides..

well.. not anymore.. it isnt produced ..
Sorry I did not know that or I would not have posted it!
0 Replies