Sick Puppy

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 12:36 pm
Last night we went to our daughter's HS graduation and had to crate the puppy. When we got home, my son let her out, and she seemed fine at first (she was fine before we left). As a treat I let her clean a dish we'd made meatloaf in. She went at it with vigor but I noticed she had her tail tucked between her legs and was shaking. Just figured she was excited and unsure why I'd given her such a treat.

She slept in her crate all night long - never woke us up to take her out, for the first time in her life. When I went to get her this AM, she didn't come out, and whimpered in pain when I tried to help her.

It seems she has a stiff neck. We took her to the vet - X-rays negative. He's holding her for observation this afternoon. She isn't sick otherwise, and will eat.

It's really strange. I'm wondering if somehow she got her collar caught in her cage while we were gone, and struggled to free herself. The last time I had her on a leash, she was pulling like a crazed oxen, so it's also possible she just pulled a muscle.

Poor thing, I've been worried about her all day. She's a good puppy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,818 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 01:16 pm
Oh, dear, poor pup.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 01:33 pm
Could have been the collar. Never leave the collar on in a crate. The pup could hang herself.

Lecture aside....

I can't think of anything it could be. Hope she feels better soon.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 01:46 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Could have been the collar. Never leave the collar on in a crate. The pup could hang herself.

Lecture aside....

We were in a hurry, boy put the dog in the crate, he just forgot the collar. Still cannot be sure that's what it was though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 02:35 pm
Is lyme disease present where you live? Is she up to date on vaccinations?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 02:45 pm
BBB
Did the vet check the puppy for an injured and/or collapsed trachea from collar pressure on the neck?

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 05:33 am
Dog eats - no collapsed trachea.

Hound slept in our bed last night - damn muscle relaxants gave her the killer farts. Still has a stiff neck but better than yesterday.

Lyme disease is present, yes. Didn't think of that, but I'm sure the vet did. Since you can't test for it (I don't think), that is a tough diagnosis.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 05:37 am
Aw, glad she's feeling better...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 06:14 am
We use a harness rather than a collar. (we call it her bra) They can't resist / pull back with the harness like they can with a collar. Works great because it gives more control with less tugging.

Congrats on the Grad!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:01 am
Guess what, she has a new harness!

I had gotten her a Halti but it was too big and thus not in use.

I still think she must have gotten her collar caught in her cage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 06:46 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Dog eats - no collapsed trachea.

Hound slept in our bed last night - damn muscle relaxants gave her the killer farts. Still has a stiff neck but better than yesterday.

Lyme disease is present, yes. Didn't think of that, but I'm sure the vet did. Since you can't test for it (I don't think), that is a tough diagnosis.

You can, indeed, be tested for it. You can also be tested for complications from it, like kidney disease.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 06:58 pm
We refer to our dogs harness as "the emergency brake". Much easier to grab it than a collar and less stressful for all. It's also a good idea to get a "sit and stay" for the car. My husband was driving with our big dog in his truck when a deer jumped out in the road. My husband slammed the brake and everything in the truck went flying forward, if the dog had not been strapped in with his harness and seat strap (aka "sit and stay") he would have gone through the windshield.

Here's what they look like:

http://homecookhost.homestead.com/files/images/seatbelts.JPG
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 07:34 am
She's much better today. Wife thinks she now knows what happened.

On Monday, Graduation Day, wife went downstairs to the oldest's room and the dog followed. Wife noticed the dog choking on something, unsure what, but there was a stick next to her (apparently the pup brought the stick down the stairs).

Wife didn't think much of it at the time as the dog stopped choking and seemed OK, and she was so busy getting ready for graduation she forgot about it. Now she thinks the pup probably gored the far back of her throat with the stick. So far back the vet couldn't easily see it.

So, the muscle relaxants that helped her sleep but also helped her pee all over the place are done. Pain killers for a couple more days and watch her closely. Much, much happier puppy today.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 07:52 am
cjhsa wrote:
She's much better today. Wife thinks she now knows what happened.

On Monday, Graduation Day, wife went downstairs to the oldest's room and the dog followed. Wife noticed the dog choking on something, unsure what, but there was a stick next to her (apparently the pup brought the stick down the stairs).

Wife didn't think much of it at the time as the dog stopped choking and seemed OK, and she was so busy getting ready for graduation she forgot about it. Now she thinks the pup probably gored the far back of her throat with the stick. So far back the vet couldn't easily see it.

So, the muscle relaxants that helped her sleep but also helped her pee all over the place are done. Pain killers for a couple more days and watch her closely. Much, much happier puppy today.

you gonna finish those muscle relaxers?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 07:57 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you gonna finish those muscle relaxers?

Look for my eBay auction. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 08:09 am
Good news, cj!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 08:16 am
Yeah, she's just a baby, had everyone worried. Such a hound though, who knows where she got the stick from. She brings in things and hides them. She buried a rawhide bone in the garden the other day, spent an hour digging it up and burying it, over and over. Never had a dog that actually did that before.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 08:20 am
Me neither.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:37 pm
Saturday we were sitting in the living room having a post-grad party conversation. The cat comes to the back door and meows - dog takes off running to see her "buddy". Runs full blast into the screen door, bounces off yelping in pain. Goes right back into the stiffneck routine...

I thought a couple women were gonna pee themselves they were laughing so hard...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:55 pm
poor puppy - maybe she needs her eyes checked.
0 Replies