Can Dogs Do Math?

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:20 pm
Quote:
A 3-year-old dog in Xi'an, Northwest Shaanxi Province, reportedly knows how to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers up to 10. The small, white pug known as "Wawa" ( meaning "baby"), can correctly answer questions such as "How many is 2+2 equal to?" and "How many is 3 x 3 equal to?"

The pooch responds by barking the appropriate number of times and sitting when finished.

To test the claims, a reporter from the Sanquin Daily visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Pang where Wawa lives. "How many is 9 divided by 3 equal to?" asked the reporter. Wawa barked 3 times and squatted on the floor.

Skeptics, believing that Mr. Pang was covertly signaling the answers to Wawa, decided to test the dog without Mr. Pang present. Wawa still responded with perfect accuracy.

Mr. Pang says he began tutoring Wawa in math two years ago after noticing that the pooch showed a natural sensitivity to numbers. He began with hand gestures, showing one finger and saying, "Wawa, this is one," and training the dog to bark once. After a few weeks, Wawa graduated to 2, 3, 4 and so on. Within 6 months, the precocious pup had mastered 1-10 and began learning arithmetic operations.

What's next for Wawa? Geometry, maybe. Everyone knows dogs love to sink their teeth into pi.

http://dogsinthenews.com/stories/070427a.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,849 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:20 pm
A farmer is wondering how many sheep he has in his field, so he asks his sheepdog to count them. The dog runs into the field, counts them and then runs back to the farmer.

"40," says the dog.
"How can there be 40?" asks the farmer. "I only bought 38!"
"I know," says the dog. "But I rounded them up."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:30 pm
snort!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:34 pm
Question: What does an insomniac agnostic dyslectic do late at night?Answer: Lie awake wondering about the existence of dog.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 03:38 pm
Excuse for not doing the math homework: "I locked the paper in my trunk but a four-dimensional dog got in and ate it."
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:37 pm
dogs are very smart animals.

mine scares me sometimes.

shes in heat, hooray for the wild pack of dogs that comes out at night led by a dogo argentino (why is an amazing dog like that runnin wild??)

pure white dog is at my back door when i wake up yesterday.

did i mention he was bigger than me?

scurry scurry scurry shizzle.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:52 pm
Make sure the resultant vector is in a negative direction.
0 Replies