Where did the gold in your jewelry originate?

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 07:36 am
Where did the gold in your jewelry originate? No one is completely sure. The relative average abundance in our Solar System appears higher than can be made in the early universe, in stars, and even in typical supernova explosions. Some astronomers have recently suggested that neutron-rich heavy elements such as gold might be most easily made in rare neutron-rich explosions such as the collision of neutron stars.

Pictured below is an artist's illustration depicting two neutron stars spiraling in toward each other, just before they neutron star collisions are also suggested as the origin of short duration gamma-ray bursts, it is possible that you already own a souvenir from one of the most powerful explosions in the universe.

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/objects/heapow/archive/transients/grb050509b_swift.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 806 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 10:29 am
It's also interesting that a certain amount of gold remains on the surface of the earth, since in a completely molten state (as during early formation), the highest density elements would fall to the core.

At present, it is believed that the VAST majority of gold on earth, is at the core along with all the other stable heavy elements.

In many cases, metal ore deposits are associated with meteor impact sites.

Do you have a source for the original article?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 11:06 am
Rosborne
rosborne979 wrote:
It's also interesting that a certain amount of gold remains on the surface of the earth, since in a completely molten state (as during early formation), the highest density elements would fall to the core.

At present, it is believed that the VAST majority of gold on earth, is at the core along with all the other stable heavy elements.

In many cases, metal ore deposits are associated with meteor impact sites.

Do you have a source for the original article?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:03 pm
I have no clue as to the ultimate cosmological origin of gold . However, Ive been in the industry and we have some pretty good clues as to how its captured and enriched in the earth. Gold is subject to melting by hot water (hydrothermal deposition) So most gold requires a relatively low heat index otherwise its ditribution is so fine that its not worth going for. The major deposits of gold are in active mountain building areas where spot remelting by tectonic forces (called anatexis) causes noble metals to collect in hot water deposits that are rich in feldspars and quartz.
A second area is in the margins of old shields where one rock type abuts another and the heat distributed within the metamorphosed shield causes gold to accumulate(again in quartz lodes and veins)
Higher temperature gold deposits account for much of the commercial production because gold substitutes nicely in the crystal lattices of minerals like pyrite, chalcopyrite, glaucodot,bornite,argentite,galena, niccolite, and a whole bunch of others. The crystals substitute gold within the metal or metal sulfide quite easily. Most gold is actually produced this way because its easy to mine in huge globs and the process of recovery(although dangerous, is easily accomplished. (Hint: imagine spraying huge mountains of crushed stone with acid cyanide).

MostUS gold is from ALaska or Nevada , but coming up a close 3rd is South Carolina where the "goldfields" are within the Piedmont slate belt .
There is gold all over and collecting it if you are near a shield, tectonic basin, mountain range, (such as the rockies or Appalachians) you can usually find a few ounces of gold in a weekend of gold panning. Ive taken the kids and taught them separation techniques and theyve saved their little gold stashes (I think).

There was a "little gold and silver" strike here in central Pa in the decade before the 49 ers went west. There are still "glory hole" pits in the piedmont and near quartz pegmatite veins. Im amazed that noone in New England has started a "gold crazy" treasure hunters club for weekend gold hunts and barbecue trips. Out west theyve been popular for years and whole herds of people get together and head out into the Sierras and Rockies for gold hunting and panning. They usually divvy up the find and the labor.
At 950$ an oz, its nothing to sneeze at when you can find it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:10 pm
farmerman
As usual, Farmerman, your information is great. Thanks!

BBB
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 04:57 pm
I don't have any gold. I have shares in goldmines though. Spendius was a trader in women until he was captured by pirates and sold.

So "your" in the thread title does not apply to me.

If I were to speculate in the matter of where the gold in the lady's equipment originated I would point to her equipment.

I can't imagine her having any gold without it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 07:27 pm
Hes a guru intraining. Goes to show ya.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:52 pm
To my best understanding, God is only created during super nova.
0 Replies