Quiz Questions

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 05:01 am
Help appreciated on the following: -

1. 5.50.100.100. could cryptically be said to describe which huge man-made objects?
2. 64 teams participate in a 4x100 metre medley relay event in a swimming competition. there are eight heats with the winner of each heat going through to the final. in the completed event, how many dives are made in total? I have an answer for this one but would like clarification. Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 728 • Replies: 13
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:17 am
Is this for a contest that pays out to the 5 highest scores?
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:22 am
Not sure TTH as I was asked by my nephew if I new the answers.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:31 am
I think it is a contest to win money from what I found. So, I was just wondering. Here is the list of question I found and both are in there:
http://www.greatbrainquiz.co.uk/GFQuiz%2029.pdf

I don't have the answers and I just woke up so I need time to think about #1. Try, mark, thoh, and raprap and others are good at riddles and they seem to like the # ones. Did you or are you going to cross post question #2 as a riddle also, along with your answer? Just a suggestion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:36 am
Re: Quiz Questions
upandrunning wrote:
Help appreciated on the following: -

1. 5.50.100.100. could cryptically be said to describe which huge man-made objects?
2. 64 teams participate in a 4x100 metre medley relay event in a swimming competition. there are eight heats with the winner of each heat going through to the final. in the completed event, how many dives are made in total? I have an answer for this one but would like clarification. Many thanks.

2) -- Each swimmer dives only once per heat. There are 64 teams with 4 players per team, so 4 dives per heat per team (64*4=256). Then the 8 heat winners swim in the final (4 dives per team, or 8*4=32). Total dives = 256+32=288
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:41 am
Hi JPB, many thanks for answering. As it is a relay, the first swimmer doesn't dive in as it is the backstroke, so they are already in the water.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:45 am
ah, didn't see the bit about it being the medley relay vs freestyle.... ok, adjust down by one per heat then and change 4 to 3 throughout.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 09:00 am
Thanks JPB your answer is the same as mine. Appreciated.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 09:08 am
Oh and JPB is good at the #'s thing obviously Embarrassed
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 09:28 am
Laughing

I don't usually do number riddles because I spend hours every day crunching numbers. This one caught my eye.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 04:33 pm
Hi Upandrunning

Not spoken for some time. Hope you are well.

I agree with your swimming answer - 216

As for the other one, the Roman numerals for 5.50.100.100 are VLCC. A VLCC (or very large crude carrier) is a tanker of more than 200,000 tonnes dead weight. A Huge man-made object.

Cheers
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 02:01 am
Good Morning Tufdevil. Good to hear from you, with a super answer. Do hope all is well with you.
How about this one?
In a tennis doubles match which is won by a score of 6/1, 6/1. what theoretically is the fewest number of times that any one given player needs to hit the ball?
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:16 am
Hi again,

I think it's 12. I don't think it matters whether you are the winners or the losers.

In the set where your opponents serve first, if you serve the second service game of your pair (4th game of the set) you will only need to serve 4 points. In the set where your pair serves first, both you and your partner will need to serve two games. So that is another 8 serves.

Provided that when your opponent serves to you he always double faults (if you are on the winning side) or aces you (if you are on the losing side) and provided you do not hit any balls that stay in play after the serve (leave those to your partner), then you don't need to hit any further balls.

HOWEVER

I am not fully au fait with the game of tennis. What happens if your opponents have a prolonged tantrum before you have chance to serve a ball, resulting in, firstly, a forfeited point and then a forfeited game. Does the serve then go back to your opponents? And what happens if they don't turn up on time? I know in snooker that a frame is awarded to your opponent for every 20 minutes (or part of 20 minutes) that you are late. So, in a snooker match you could in theory lose 5-0 without playing a shot - turn up more than an hour late, so you are already 4-0 down, your opponent breaks off and pots a red from the break and then clears the table without you playing a shot (you would have to turn up for 1 frame or it would just be match forfeited).

If I were answering the question, I would go for 12 but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is less.

Any experts on the laws of tennis out there?
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:24 am
Hi Tufdevil, I too have the answer 12, but as you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll pass that one back to my nephew. Many thanks.
0 Replies