Can anyone identify these spiders?

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:18 am
Sorry about the picture quality, the spiders kept moving. I live in Western WA State. Spider #1 is the type that bit my dog and my dog just about died from it. All the cats I ever owned always ran the opposite direction of this spider. The cats would kill other spiders, not this one though. I can't tell if they are both the same type of spider. I do know that spider #1 is a funnel spider.

Spider #1
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3971/spider1cy0.jpg

Spider #2
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1403/spideryi8.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,750 • Replies: 10
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:10 am
http://whatsthatbug.com/

Lots of photo examples to choose from.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:09 am
Thanks for the link. I looked through 1/2 of them and need to take a break. I have been looking in google images, but just can't seem to find out what type they are Sad
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:30 am
The bottom one looks like an:

Quote:
Aggresive house spider

Agelenidae tegenaria-agrestis
Swift-running spider distinguished from non-poisonous funnel web spiders by chevron shape on its abdomen and legs which are not banded like other funnel web spiders.

The aggressive house spider, Tegenaria agrestis, is becoming one of the most common spiders in the Northwest. This spider was first reported in the Seattle area in 1930. It is a prevalent spider in basements and in window wells of houses. It rarely climbs vertical surfaces and is usually found only on the ground or lower floors. Experts have called it the aggressive house spider because it bites with little provocation when cornered or threatened. The aggressive house spider is important medically because of its ability to cause necrotic spider bites. (A necrotic bite causes tissue to die.) The aggressive house spider is a long-legged, swift running member of the funnel web spider family. The brown abdomen has a distinctive yellowish chevron pattern. The legs are a uniform brown without the darker brown bands that other nonpoisonous funnel web spiders have.

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/pubs/mt9210.html

I can't tell enough from the photo the other one to get any ideas.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:37 am
boomerang
I found that too, but wasn't exactly sure. I think you are right about #2. The thing with #2 is I find them on the walls. I have never seen one on the ground.

Spider #1 is the one that concerns me the most. They get into my house and like I stated, my cats don't or won't go near them. That leads me to believe they are poisonous. This spider can get very large and it is usually on the ground. It also runs very fast.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:42 am
#2 looks like it is a house spider...at least that is what I have always called them - I don't think it is poinsonousHouse Spider Pic

seems to be a bit of confusion on what a house spider looks like..maybe they just call them that because they like the house...but that is kind of what ours look like...I don't study them too hard...I usually find a jar scoop them up and put them out...I am sure they come back..and that is okay - as long as I don't see them. :wink:
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:43 am
apparently I was wrong Shocked sorry ...but we have never been bit - so I wouldn't know.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:00 am
mismi
Spider #1 is the one that bit my dog when she was a puppy. She just started screaming and I rushed her to the vet. They didn't want to inject her with any medication because she only weighed 4 lbs. The vet finally did inject her because her throat started to swell shut. It was touch and go for awhile.

#1 has a very large leg span. I would estimate around 3 inches in diameter or more. Normally spiders don't scare me, but this one does.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:18 am
If it's that big it's probably some kind of wolf spider or a giant house spider and so you don't have to worry about it. Hobo spiders don't get that big -- they're one of the few poisonous spiders found in Washington.

I'm really curious though -- what in the world did the vet inject your dog with? Hobo spider bites are treated with topical antibiotics.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:35 am
I told them I didn't care what it cost, just don't let my dog die. They called me and said her throat was started to swell shut so they were going to take the risk and inject her otherwise she was going to die. I think it was a drug called Metacam.
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:17 pm
cats run from it??? looks dangerous...
0 Replies