Why are horses killed when they break or injure their leg?

Equus

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 07:39 pm
Gargamel wrote:
The saddest thing about injured horses is that they are not allowed in Heaven.

I realize that in many beliefs, animals don't have souls and therefore do not go to Heaven. I am no expert, but I hope that is not true.

Personally, when I look into the eyes of a loving pet I see soul there. When you hear about animals that risk their lives to save their owners, I have to believe there's soul there.

And how could it be Heaven for me if my late pets aren't there to share it with me?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:55 pm
Not all fractures are lethal. You may well have seen Dr. Larry Bramlage after the Derby. He is a veterinary classmate and fraternity pledge brother of mine. He did his post-graduate work teamed up with an engineer to develop techniques for fracture stabilization. As a result, he is world-renowned, and has done equine orthopedic work on several continents, including multiple surgeries on Alydar. Sadly, the facts are that severe, comminuted or compound fractures (such as those Eight Belles suffered) simply can't be repaired. Complications such as osteomyelitis, laminitis, and pneumonia are common even if the fracture may heal well. In the case of the horse with the prosthetic leg, it is important to note that it is a pony, with much less body weight to be supported. I have worked with one mare with a hind leg prosthesis about twenty years ago, and it was a constant battle with laminitis and pressure sores. It didn't take a really long time before the owner had her mercifully euthanized.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:17 am
Equus wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
The saddest thing about injured horses is that they are not allowed in Heaven.

I realize that in many beliefs, animals don't have souls and therefore do not go to Heaven. I am no expert, but I hope that is not true.

Personally, when I look into the eyes of a loving pet I see soul there. When you hear about animals that risk their lives to save their owners, I have to believe there's soul there.

And how could it be Heaven for me if my late pets aren't there to share it with me?

Anyone who has had a pet knows there is a soul there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:21 am
Thanks CowDoc, I can't imagine making such a decision for a beloved pet. Although I do remember my sweet doggie (actually he wasn't sweet to most people, but he loved me)... he was so old - he had difficulty walking and forget when he had to go, you needed to run to the door to let him out because he couldn't hold it any more.

Because he was so feeble and weak he sometimes would fall and crumble. One day he slipped in the kitchen and feel and just laid there and didn't even have the strength to pull himself up. It was then that as an owner you realize which situation is worse for the poor creature.
0 Replies