Are any Swedish and Norwegians here?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:16 pm
reply to saab
saab wrote:
I can´t help you with certain type of slang and I have asked a couple of other people but they don´t know either. I don´t live in Sweden so I don´t get all that modern slang - neither do my friends around here as their kids don´t use Swedish slang either. The books I read - even modern Swedish books - don´t have that language nor do the news papers. Nor do my friends in Sweden.
A woman made a serious project for people working in hospitals about words you can and cannot use and when to use them. There are about 35 words just for urinating - I know five of them.

Hi saab-thank you for helping out.

I went elsewhere and was told the following are slang terms people use for cool in Swedish:

Fet, hipp, tuff, skön, kaxig, mallig, fräck.

lugn, skön, soft, chill

Couldn't I use these terms in combo with the slangs for guy, girl and woman to generate slang terms for "tough guy/gal"?

Also you said, "tough woman" can mean anything depending on her character-could you please elaborate? Would you like some more context?

Couldn't I put the word "slag" in front of the terms for girl/woman?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:20 pm
Fet,= MEANS FAT AND CAN BE USED FOR COOL
hipp, YOU CAN USE TOO
tuff, ALSO THIS CAN BE USED BUT I AM NOT SURE
skön, MEANS BEAUTIFUL; CAN ALSO MEAN COMFORTABLE MAYBE IT CAN BE USED FOR COOL - NO IDEA
kaxig, I REALLY DON´T KNOW IF IT ALSO MEANS COOL - THE CORRECT TRANSLATION IS SNOTTY
mallig, MEANS STUCK UP - PROUD AND I CANNOT SEE HOW THAT CAN GET TO BE COOL
fräck.NO IDEA IF THIS NOW MEANS COOL: CORRECT IS IMPUDENT; INSOLENT

lugn, MEANS CALM; SERENITY; SERENE; QUIET; STEADY;SET AT REST skön, SEE ABOVE
soft, chill ENGLISH WORDS AND I DO NOT KNOW WHEN AND HOW THEY ARE USED IN SWEDISH

Couldn't I use these terms in combo with the slangs for guy, girl and woman to generate slang terms for "tough guy/gal"? AS I HAVE SAID I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT SWEDISH SLANG BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE MEANING I CAN´T FIND ANY WHICH WOULD FIT A TOUGH GUY OR GAL

Also you said, "tough woman" can mean anything depending on her character-could you please elaborate? Would you like some more context?
A WOMAN CAN BE TOUGH IN THE SENCE SHE HAS STRONG WILL AND CAN MANAGE THINGS: IT CAN ALSO MEAN SHE IS TOUGH AND NOT VERY NICE

NEVER HEARD THE WORD "SLAG" EXCEPT IN THE MEANING OF KIND; SORT; CLASS; SPECIES ;BLOW; STROKE
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 02:44 pm
reply to saab
saab wrote:
Fet,= MEANS FAT AND CAN BE USED FOR COOL
hipp, YOU CAN USE TOO
tuff, ALSO THIS CAN BE USED BUT I AM NOT SURE
skön, MEANS BEAUTIFUL; CAN ALSO MEAN COMFORTABLE MAYBE IT CAN BE USED FOR COOL - NO IDEA
kaxig, I REALLY DON´T KNOW IF IT ALSO MEANS COOL - THE CORRECT TRANSLATION IS SNOTTY
mallig, MEANS STUCK UP - PROUD AND I CANNOT SEE HOW THAT CAN GET TO BE COOL
fräck.NO IDEA IF THIS NOW MEANS COOL: CORRECT IS IMPUDENT; INSOLENT

lugn, MEANS CALM; SERENITY; SERENE; QUIET; STEADY;SET AT REST skön, SEE ABOVE
soft, chill ENGLISH WORDS AND I DO NOT KNOW WHEN AND HOW THEY ARE USED IN SWEDISH

Couldn't I use these terms in combo with the slangs for guy, girl and woman to generate slang terms for "tough guy/gal"? AS I HAVE SAID I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT SWEDISH SLANG BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE MEANING I CAN´T FIND ANY WHICH WOULD FIT A TOUGH GUY OR GAL

A WOMAN CAN BE TOUGH IN THE SENCE SHE HAS STRONG WILL AND CAN MANAGE THINGS: IT CAN ALSO MEAN SHE IS TOUGH AND NOT VERY NICE

NEVER HEARD THE WORD "SLAG" EXCEPT IN THE MEANING OF KIND; SORT; CLASS; SPECIES ;BLOW; STROKE

Hi saab-how are you? THank you for helping. You said:

Do you know any slangs terms in Swedish for women that fit these definitions?

Can "vildkatt" be used as Swedish slang for "tomboy"?
Please let me know. Very Happy
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:19 pm
vildkatt and vildbasare means something like scapegrace and I don´t think it is really the same as a tomboy. A tomboy is always a girl, vildkatt, vildbasare can also be a boy. A tomboy does not have to be a vildkatt or vildbasare.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:00 am
saab wrote:
vildkatt and vildbasare means something like scapegrace and I don´t think it is really the same as a tomboy. A tomboy is always a girl, vildkatt, vildbasare can also be a boy. A tomboy does not have to be a vildkatt or vildbasare.

Hi saab-thank you.

Do you know any slangs terms in Swedish for women that fit these definitions?

One of the terms you posted was:

wild girl S tuff - framfusig (pushing, pert)

Can I use the term "tufffusig"?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 09:22 am
saab wrote:

Scape"grace`\, n. A graceless, unprincipled person; one who is wild and reckless

This could apply to a girl.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:42 am
"tufffusig"
Something went wrong. Tufffusig I have never seen. I guess it has to be either tuff or framfusig. Plus we would never have three f in the middle of a word
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:21 am
Goldman, what in heaven's name are you up to now?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:42 am
I went to Stockholm for a month several years ago. It was a beautiful city. Unfortunately, the only Swedish word I remember is smör (which means butter!). Maybe that's because smör seemed like the perfect word for butter. Razz

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but you have brought back some good memories for me. Smile
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:54 am
some words for food back to the Viking days have for some reason a ö in it.
Smör, öl beer , mjölk milk. mjöd another beer like drink, bröd bread, mjöl
flower, kött meat,
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm
Oh, so the word goes back to the Viking days?

Makes you realize how long Sweden has been around! When I was in Stockholm, I stayed in the "old town." I loved it! Loved looking out of my window and seeing artists painting on their easels on the cobblestone streets!

And what was the name of that big pink hotel? Loved that place!
0 Replies