hard pan

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:03 am
Anyone know of a way to break up hardpan?
I have a small garden area under my kitchen window that I would like to landscape myself, but I am not able to dig deep enough to even put plants in.
I have put in some Kellogg's Amend, but that takes some time to see the effects of that.
I'm looking for something that can work quickly (if there is such a thing) so that I can get some plants out there.
Thanks for the help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,078 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 09:59 am
Quote:
Anyone know of a way to break up hardpan?

Get a pick and a shovel and chop it all out of there. No, it's not easy.

Fill the area with topsoil, either borrowed from some place else on your land or brought in in bags from the store.

Joe(pick a cool day and start early.)Nation
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:02 am
Can you get railroad ties or landscape timbers and make a raised bed? Once again - quite a bit of work involved. But I've enjoyed mine.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:13 am
I agree with mismi. Build up, don't dig down. Make or buy compost.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:33 am
Earthworms and kitchen leavings.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 10:44 am
Not all hardpan is equeal. Without knowing the composition of it (or at least what area you are in) there isn't much option but to suggest a pick if breaking it up is your desire.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 11:16 am
For what it's worth, it usually forms in alkali soils. Do a ph test to see if you need to acidify.

I have actually aerated the stuff with a long carbide drill bit, and added gypsum. If it helped, you couldn't prove it by me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 11:22 am
I've seen earthworms and kitchen garbage break up adobe clay--brick hard adobe clay--to the point where it could be dug with a kitchen spoon.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:56 am
Over here, hardpan is reasonably workable after the spring thaw. at which time it's been softened by frost heave. I think that yours would be manageable with a sharp spade after giving it a good soak the day before, digging in small thin bites.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
desert pans are alkali, Eastern US pans are neutral to acidic (glacila derived "fragipans") most of these can be broken by digging the surface and growing seasonal rye or birdsfoot trefoil. These will send out long roots which add tilth. Thats why farmers plant cover crops in the North.

Then after one season, till the soil and there should be improved drainage/.
BTW , do you have a shallow perched water table?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
eastern ontario is "limestone country" with a fairly thin layer of soil over hardpan .
our house (and subdivision) was built on the land of a former penitentiary farm - hard soil and lots of rocks , too .
in those days (1963) the builder didn't lay a lawn - the lawn seeding was left up to the home owner .
here i was in my prime :wink: double digging about 10,000 sQ. feet of raw soil .
after coming home from work and having had supper , i spent about 3 to 4 hours an evening "double digging" - i lost about 15 pounds in thre months of digging .
we now have a beautiful garden , but have given up on the vegetable garden - the roots of a a neigbour's maple tree invaded our veg. patch , so we gave up - must be getting old :wink: .
but we have kept our herb garden .
double digging is an excellent way to break up hard pan and bring your weight down .
hbg

the south-side of our garden : lawn , perennials , hedge and spruce trees - all doing well - but don't dig down too deep : hardpan .

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7140/05aug2008017xv2.jpg
0 Replies