mismi

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:05 pm
That would be a great idea...hopefully I will make that idea happen...we'll see. I live on a major hill too...it would be very likely that while I am pulling it out of the driveway on it's little dolly that one of my dogs would run through my legs causing me to let go and I would get to watch it plummet down the drive into the street...maybe even down the neighbors driveway...be my luck. Still - I think I am going to get a hernia every time I have to do it. Probably worth the risk!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:09 pm
Aack, I shouldn't have said garage.. lots of plants going inside for the winter need some sunlight. Thus a nice window.

Quinn, I've heard they like big pots for a long time, I'll do some more reading, maybe I'm wrong. The only time I put mine in a pot, it was a 24" terra cotta pot, and it did fine. Usually I've grown them in raised beds of about 16" deep and 4 x 8 foot wide - that would be for three tomatoes, depending on the tomato variety.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:10 pm
a garage could work. Especially if you put them close to the door.
In the afternoon.. open it..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:16 pm
The thing about the slatted dolly is that you never have to hoist the pot off of it..

I'm looking for photos..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:18 pm
My garage is lower than 32 in the winter... if we're talking citrus..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:29 pm
Ah, here. Something like this, but with a sturdier frame and more slats.

http://www.handtrucks.com/dollies/wood-dollies/greatplainswooddolliewrubberpads.cfm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
My garage is lower than 32 in the winter... if we're talking citrus..

Remember, citrus fruit come ripe in winter... you cannot move them into an unlit, cold garage even if above 32 as they will drop all their leaves and the fruit you waited all year for.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:50 pm
Well, tomatoes certainly like it comparatively but, if you're not making tons of sauce just like the tomatoes - not a big deal to put them in a wee little pot for the season. Or do you live somewhere you can grow them more than just June-Aug?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:55 pm
On the tomatoes, from googleing, I'm finding their need is more for depth than width of soil, with at least 17" preferable. Thus, plastic buckets of that size with holes punched in the bottom and then a layer of stones...

here's a link (about half way down the page) -
nuts, I lost the best link navigating back to a2k.

Well, here's an interesting one -
http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/containertomatogardening.html
That guy says artifical soil mix and no stones...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:11 pm
Tomatoes are a very touchy and very personal thing. Don't get mixed up with tomato people - they'll make you nuts! Wink

Just try what works for you and keep up with it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:18 pm
You will get the most consistent results from tomatoes labeled VFNT such as some Early Girl and Better Boy varieties.

You'll get the best taste from purple and pink heirlooms like Brandywine and Cherokee Purple, but they're harder to grow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:20 pm
I have a garden in progress and have already planted tomatoes. I have just been talking generally, that they prefer bigger containers.

On citrus, the fruiting time can somewhat vary with the different varieties, but yes, I agree with not putting them in the garage. If over 32 - as it was where I used to live, I wouldn't put them inside in the first place. I had a Meyer lemons in containers in California, but I didn't have to drag them indoors.

I know the couple of orangeries I've seen do have a lot of glass, but don't remember if they have any winter indoor heat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:23 pm
Yes, all my heirloom tomatoes were delicious.. brandywine, cherokee, green zebra, dona, and some others. Haven't tried them here in Albuquerque yet.
I suppose there is still time if I get to the nursery..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:28 pm
That's true too, Quinn : )
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:44 pm
I'd love to live somewhere to have citrus and longer growing times.
Ah well.

I picked up Better Boys last year and they didn't wow me but, they were okay. Not a great year to try new stuff out. Might try again this year.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:10 pm
I got a Thing this year that is supposed to Grow Tomatoes Upside Down.

You loosen the soil on the roots and slide them (root side up) into a foam disc that then becomes the plug at the bottom of a large bag. The bag seems to be made of similar stuff as blue plastic tarps, and has a lid with a hole in it and hooks to hang it with.

After you have the plants (up to two, I'm trying Sweet Hundreds and Early Girl*) in the plug, hang the bag and fill it up with soil. Then you add at least a gallon of water...

And keep watering, with light feedings, until you feast upon tomatoes!

Trouble is, the nursery said not to put tomatoes outside until night temps were over 50 and they haven't been since I bought the durn things!

They're getting planted this weekend and if it snows again, THWI.

*I figured the process seems weird so the tomatoes had better be nice and willing...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:42 pm
I've always planted my veggies and most of my flowers in pots. Still frightened, after eight years, of the Georgia clay.

These are photos from last year:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7555/flowersarborox0.png
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6832/showcorner2005ii3gy.png
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:39 pm
Wy - you'll have to let us know how that goes.

eoe- looks fabulous.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:40 pm
Thanks. Don't know about this year. I'm way behind and just not feeling excited about the flowers available at the local nurseries.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:15 am
So pretty, eoe.

I'm right there with you on this year, don't know why. Last year I was raring to go, had everything in shortly after Mother's Day I think. This year I haven't even really seriously thought about it yet.

Lots of impatiens, I guess. <shrug>
0 Replies