No top replies

nips

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:04 am
no
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:08 am
Define space.

As long as there is an atmosphere, they work.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:12 am
nips
nips wrote:
no

Welcome to A2K Nips. I's not a scholar but I will guess as to why you said "no". The test was conducted inside a vehicle with an artifical atmosphere where the boomerang is traveling at the same speed as the vehicle. Would open space velocity and sans atmosphere make a difference and prevent it? Or is the gravity different between the two environments?

But go ahead and tell me why you think it doesn't work.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:14 am
Francis
Francis wrote:
Define space.
As long as there is an atmosphere, they work.

Speedy Francis beat my response post.

BBB
0 Replies

nips

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:17 am
see when someone says space, it generally means space like where spaceships go and the like. the reason i said no was bacause in space there is no atmosphere so therefor a boomerang wouldnt work in space
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:21 am
You probably mean outer space...

The international space station (ISS) is only 220 miles up. Is it what you call space?

However, it has an atmosphere, therefore the boomerangs work there.
0 Replies

nips

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:22 am
if you throw it in the direction of earth but if you throw it the other way would it work?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:22 am
nips
Francis wrote:
You probably mean outer space...
The international space station (ISS) is only 220 miles up. Is it what you call space?
However, it has an atmosphere, therefore the boomerangs work there.

Nips, I think Francis has got you on this one.

BBB
0 Replies

nips

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:10 am
possibly...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:12 am
Sure. That's why we use the "boomerang effect" to "slingshot" satellites around planets to change speeds/trajectories.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:15 am
It may remain in perpetual circular motion; but that's only a guess.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:31 am
nips wrote:
if you throw it in the direction of earth but if you throw it the other way would it work?

The direction of the Earth doesn't matter. The space station is in free-fall meaning that the effect of the Earth's gravity on the boomerang is negligible.

The only thing that matters should be the atmosphere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:04 pm
Re: Do boomerangs work in space?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Do boomerangs work in space?

http://www.glumbert.com/media/boomerang

In space, we call the boomerang a stick.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:09 pm
I've never seen a boomerang do any productive work, none, zilch, nada. For that matter I've never done any productive work meself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I've never seen a boomerang do any productive work, none, zilch, nada. For that matter I've never done any productive work meself.

Well, well-handled, they will kill/maim animals. Which is what they were designed to do.

Mind you, they don't generally come back if they do that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Well, well-handled, they will kill/maim animals. Which is what they were designed to do.

Mind you, they don't generally come back if they do that.
I have an atlatl for that purpose however, it's mostly just decorative, so it doesn't work either.I bought a new 20 bag of kitty chow the other day and the damn cat (dante) chewed a hole in the bag even though he has a bowl full of kibble. he must have worked hard to chew that hole. He's the only member of this household who works.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:10 pm
By golly, if a boomerang is actually a weapon instead of a toy, they should durn well make a bullet that comes back to the shooter, too. A halfway point would be a gun that shoots around corners.

No, they've done that, already. I've got a Davis derringer that shoots a four foot curve to the left at 20 feet. Clever, huh?
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:11 pm
I think the question is more about the definition of "works." If I recall correctly, a boomerang works because of the inwardly directed "lift" generated by the spinning fins, which means that as long as there is some gas in the space you're using it in, you'll observe some boomerang like effect, but in an environment with as little material as outer space, there won't be anything to generate that lift, and the boomerang effect will be so slight that you probably won't notice it.

The reason, I suspect, that the boomerang in that video works, is that the inside of the ISS has an artificial atmosphere. If he tried it outside of the space station, other forces(like gravity) would affect the boomerang's trajectory much more dramatically.
roger

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:11 pm
Yeah, I know how gleefully the disarmament faction is going to jump on the returning bullet. Go fer it!
0 Replies