Flip video camera?

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:45 am
Has anyone tried one of these new Flip video cameras?

I'm not much of a video girl but these have a good price and look kind of cool and easy to use.

My big question is - can you make stills from the video footage?

In my photo work I really like to capture tiny little expressions and I'm thinking video might be a neat new way to go about it because those little changes happen so quickly.

I know nothing about video cameras, nothing at all. Here's a link to the Flip's spec sheet for anyone who knows how to make sense out of it: http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_ultra_specs.II.shtml

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:11 pm
Hmmm....

I beginning to doubt the validity of their claim of "huge popularity".

I did get through enough of the technical stuff to discover that it does have still image capture.

The online reviews are great.

I'd still rather hear from some "real life" users or others who know about video cameras <hint hint>.

Anybody? Anybody? Ferris?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 10:22 pm
I read a very good review of it (I've barely handled it at all and don't own one but the review is spot on) in the New York Times.

David Pogue's review of the Flip

Ease of use (and size of course) makes a big difference in whether camcorders and cameras are used or not. I have a camera on my phone that can do video and all. But yesterday in Panama I wanted to take a picture of the colorful buses and ended up not bothering because it would take too long to get the camera ready.

The ease of use is the only thing going for the product, but the importance of usability can't be overstated.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:49 am
I got one for the husband of my son's day-carer and he likes it a lot!
Sorry, that's all I can say about it!

I can ask him about the stills though, if I remember!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:50 am
OK, just read that you found out about the stills already!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 03:45 pm
Thanks Robert and Bohne!

I'll take a look at that review.

I'm really an old fashioned girl when it comes to cameras though. I use my big chunky camera a lot more than my dinky little one. But I've never really had a video camera so "habit" might not be such an issue there.
0 Replies