Waging War on Dog Droppings

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:04 am
Waging War on Dog Droppings

ROME (Reuters) - When in Rome, watch where you step. The streets of the Italian capital are a minefield of dog droppings and the mayor, Walter Veltroni, has had enough.

Accompanied by city officials he descended on the capital to nab dog walkers who turn a blind eye to their pet's bathroom habits, Italian media reported Wednesday.

The penalty: a hefty $108 fine for those who fail to carry the necessary poop scooping kit when walking their dog -- and 100 should they forget to use it.

"Having a dog automatically means having a spade and rubbish bags too...Hopefully, the more we insist on this the more Romans will start to get the message," daily La Repubblica quoted Veltroni as saying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,727 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
Can't count on them to flush either, not to mention they always leave the lid up.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:21 am
Thanks for sharing, BBB. I always enjoy a good dog excrement story. Where I live I just let my dogs do their business all summer long and in the winter when the temperatures plummet to the sub-zero range, I grab my eight iron and start firing shots across the fence. Spring time rolls around and my neighbor walks around scratching his head, wondering where all the crap came from.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:22 am
Hey! You guys are both from New Mexico! What are the odds of that happening?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:42 am
Gus
Gus, well New Mexico is big enough for more than two odds. Roger lives in the northern part of the state and I'm in central Albuquerque. As Roger said, "Its too far away to do lunch." We met at the Western Gathering in April.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
So, ultimately, we did do lunch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 05:50 pm
I'm reviving this thread by saying I just saw it, and it reminds me of a big sign in Lucca, in italiano, apprising dog walkers of their duty to retrieve dog defecations. I took a photo, and will post it one of these days. I remember it for its sternness.
Reyn

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
[...] a big sign in Lucca, in italiano, apprising dog walkers of their duty to retrieve dog defecations. I took a photo, and will post it one of these days. I remember it for its sternness.

I will be patiently awaiting it in eager anticipation. Wink Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 05:16 pm
Yeah, where is it? Anyway, I thought Paris was supposed to be notorious for dog poop on the sidewalks but I didn't see any - or any dogs, for that matter.
0 Replies