Taming the too-tall yucca

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 08:13 pm
Hi.
Anyone with experience grafting yucca trees? If someone has already asked this question and it's been answered, kindly post a link and I'll read about it. I just searched the web and found nothing easily adaptable to my idea.

My potted indoor yucca has two stems/trunks and one is growing sideways because it would crash into my ceiling otherwise. The other stem could stand shortening within a year.

I think I can graft the stem/s. I have no experience with grafting, but it would be a grand experiment! Cool

My idea is to cut out an 18-24 inch piece from a stem, then dust the cut ends with hormone powder, put the top and bottom together, splint and bind the trunk. I think they should graft and grow, if done immediately and carefully--probably using a very sharp knife. Maybe after a week of heavy watering?

I could even plant or root the section I take out. I am thinking an angular cut would be better than a flat one, and doing one trunk and letting it heal before doing the other. They're both about 2.5 inches at the base, narrowing to maybe 2 at mid-stem.

What do you say?

Rolling Eyes
-Sal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,682 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 06:17 am
bump.
0 Replies

storm489

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 02:27 pm
yucca grafting/propogation
I've been considering doing the same thing. But if the "hormone" you'd use is ROOTING hormone, I think it would contribute more harm than benefit.

As for cutting off the top (and also sections of the stem), it's a cinch. Lop off the top, put it in water, and it will root! Length is your choice--a foot to 2 feet seems reasonable. Use a tall container as you will want at least 5 or 6 inches to be in the water, and remove the leaves from the part that will be immersed. You can also root the next section down, and the section after that, etc., as long as your sections have some leaves. I'm not sure you even need to have ANY leaves on those lower sections. (But be sure to keep track of which end is "up".)

Speaking of leaves, here's something interesting: the parent plant will not regrow if you decapitate it below the point where its lowest leaves are; but if you leave a few (say, 4 or 5) it will probably put out multiple new tops from the bases of the uppermost leaves.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 07:16 am
Storm--

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies