New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival 2008

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:34 pm
Begins today!

Live stream broadcast can be heard intermittently on WWOZ http://www.wwoz.org/index.php by clicking on the "Tune In Listen Online" button at the top. The JF live schedule (all times CDT) for first weekend is

Friday, April 25

» 11:30 - 12:20 p.m.
Zion Trinity - Congo Square "My Louisiana" Stage

» 2:15 - 3:15 p.m.
Big Sam's Funky Nation - Congo Square "My Louisiana" Stage

» 5:40 - 7:00 p.m. - (either this or the next group will be taped and broadcast tomorrow)
Burning Spear - Congo Square "My Louisiana" Stage

» 5:45 - 7:00 p.m.
Lizz Wright - WWOZ Jazz Tent

Saturday, April 26

» 11:25 - 12:25 p.m.
11:25 Berklee College of Music Jazz Ensemble - WWOZ Jazz Tent

» 2:05 - 3:05 p.m.
Big Jay McNeely with Jesse Scinto - Southern Comfort Blues Tent

» 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Ponderosa Stomp with Tammi Lynn, Archie Bell, Roy Head, Chick Willis, Dennis Binder - Southern Comfort Blues Tent

Sunday, April 27

» 11:25 - 12:15 p.m. - (either this or the next group will be broadcast in the early afternoon)
Paulin Brothers Brass Band - Jazz & Heritage Stage

»11:30 - 12:30 p.m.
Lil Freddie King Blues Band - Southern Comfort Blues Tent

» 1:40 - 2:30 p.m.
Shamarr Allen - Jazz & Heritage Stage

» 2:55 - 4:05 p.m.
Midnite Disturbers Brass Band - Jazz & Heritage Stage

» 3:45 - 4:55 p.m.
Roy Young - Southern Comfort Blues Tent

» 5:30 - 6:50 p.m.
Delbert McCLinton - Southern Comfort Blues Tent
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,961 • Replies: 5
No top replies

mac11

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
J_B, I saw the title of this thread and knew it was yours!

Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:20 pm
Very Happy

We'll be there next weekend. I have to settle for live stream this weekend.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:09 am
Second Weekend began yesterday and it was all I'd waited a year for and more. Ideal weather (as opposed to last weekend's washouts and today's forecast), music choices that make your head spin, and fest food that is reason enough to pay the price of admission.

We arrived on Tuesday and after making check-in calls and stops with our favorite folks (Rene says hey to Thomas), settled down with the Grids to map out our music picks for the fest and after hours celebrating. Dinner at K-Pauls was good but not fantastic and a leisurely stroll around the FQ completed the first day.

We spent Wednesday working on Jenga's house putting up molding around the interior windows and doors (see dry-wall thread from last year). She's close to being able to move in and thinks another two weeks will allow her to get her occupancy inspection. We're going back on Monday to do whatever she has going on. We met up with a SL groupie-friend for dinner at Coops and then ventured over to Frenchman St for a full night of music including The Iguanas and Walter Wolfman Washington at d.b.a. No night is complete without Rene-aritas so another walk down Decatur (and then back again) closed out Wednesday.

Thursday = Fest Day 1. This is the first year since Katrina that they've brought back Second Weekend Thursday. It's a low(ish) crowd day but the music choices were full and challenging. We began the day with Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes, a local high-energy group of classically trained musician who have left their classical days behind and put on a terrific show. Then we faced the first dilemma of the day -- Bonerama or Walter Peyton and File Gumbo (zydeco). WP won out because we see Bonerama often enough in Chicago.

One of the highlights of the day came next -- Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ Swingers at one of the main stages. The crowd was large, the music perfect and a sing-along of "It's a Wonderful World" that brought more than one tear to the crowd.

Another highlight followed in the Economy Hall tent with Hot Club of New Orleans (Thomas might remember them from last year) playing songs from their newly released cd. Another very high energy group of tradition New Orleans jazz. I'll be making a trip to the music tent before Sunday ends...

Then it was time to choose between the closing acts. Widespread Panic, Deacon John, Tower of Power, Luther Kent, C..J. Chenier, and others. We couldn't choose so we wondered the fairgrounds and caught part of each act. All good, all different.

Oh -- and we ate. Fest favorites include pheasant and quail gumbo, shrimp and sausage machoiux, crawfish monica, and to try something new, a cachon-au-lait po-boy. The lady at the Pilsner Urquell now recognizes us and the mandarin-orange ice tea is as refreshing as ever.

Dinner after the fest is optional so we choose a couple small tapas plates at Mimi's in the Marigny where we walked to catch Coco Robicheaux in a small club setting before he opens today at the Blues Tent.

The night ended with Rene-aritias and a walk back to our hotel for a short rest before we start again today.

Ponchos are packed -- Let the Music Begin!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 12:12 pm
WOW! You're really packing in the music (and the food)! I hope the weather is better than predicted today...
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 07:04 am
This goes out to the leech that is Gards.,THE most ungrateful house guest I have ever had !!!!!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBTtVDRvrXg
Deep Purple-Bloodsucker.
Sorry for the rant JPB.
0 Replies