Two Songs Mixed

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:28 am
give a listen and tell me what you think...

http://stevepartys.com/downloads/squinney_tougher_than_mix_01.mp3

http://stevepartys.com/downloads/squinney_insider_mix_01.mp3
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,268 • Replies: 24
No top replies

TTH

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
I think they are both really good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:26 am
Very good, dude.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:36 am
BBB
WOW!

Dolly and Maddy didn't howl while listening. :wink: That means it's a winner!

I couldn't get the second song to download.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:57 am
BBB I'm just a singer... and not that bright... critiques of your sort are a bit technical for me to understand... Laughing
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:00 am
loved them both!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:37 am
BBB
I finally got the second tape to download. Got a lump in my throat for you and Squiney.

BBB Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:52 am
BBB these songs were picked by Ghezzi... not me.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:32 am
The first songs lyric totally turned me off. The singer, whose voice lacks the romantic resonance that a song of this genre requires, although I don't quite know what this genre is considering the content, is looking for a woman who is "rough and ready" for love. And the guy promises that he is tough enough for love. Not exactly the type of lyric to endure one to the public, at least to the female public.

The guitars sounded good, especially the acoustic, I would have like to have heard drums bass and some real guitar licks though.

I have listened to "insider" three times and I can't understand the lyric. The songs don't nhave any strong hooks. Ballads need a meaningful lyric if not a story and neither song did that. In fact, I found 'Rough and Ready' repulsive lyrically. Whoever wrote the song would do well to learn the craft. Sheila Davis' The Craft of Lyric Writing is a good place to start. Songwriting workshops are helpful too. It is vital that a singer-songwriter's songs cast him or her in a favorable light. These songs don't do that IMNSHO.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
roxxxanne i expected you to tear it to shreds... no matter what...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:12 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
The first songs lyric totally turned me off. The singer, whose voice lacks the romantic resonance that a song of this genre requires, although I don't quite know what this genre is considering the content, is looking for a woman who is "rough and ready" for love. And the guy promises that he is tough enough for love. Not exactly the type of lyric to endure one to the public, at least to the female public.

The guitars sounded good, especially the acoustic, I would have like to have heard drums bass and some real guitar licks though.

I have listened to "insider" three times and I can't understand the lyric. The songs don't nhave any strong hooks. Ballads need a meaningful lyric if not a story and neither song did that. In fact, I found 'Rough and Ready' repulsive lyrically. Whoever wrote the song would do well to learn the craft. Sheila Davis' The Craft of Lyric Writing is a good place to start. Songwriting workshops are helpful too. It is vital that a singer-songwriter's songs cast him or her in a favorable light. These songs don't do that IMNSHO.

I will make sure to communicate with the songwriters about their lack of skills and perhaps I'll have them pm you for career advice.

Bruce Springsteen wrote Tougher Than The Rest.
Tom Petty wrote Insider.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:15 pm
I just got a chance to listen to the originals.

Damn, Bear! I like your versions better. The Bruce one you did is haunting.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:27 pm
awww shucks maam Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:05 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

I will make sure to communicate with the songwriters about their lack of skills and perhaps I'll have them pm you for career advice.

Bruce Springsteen wrote Tougher Than The Rest.
Tom Petty wrote Insider.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The first thing any preformance artist needs to learn is how to accept criticism gracefully.

As I heard the songs as they were performed, the lyric didn't grab at all and I stand by what I said. Maybe if I heard Springsteen or Petty perform the songs, I would feel differently. I don't know why you chose those songs. It seems to me that even most amateurs could write a better song for him or herself than those two compositions. I still don't get "Insider" I guess I will have to dig up Petty's version so at least I will be able to find out what this song is all about.

If an artist is going to do covers, it is essential that he or she "sell" the song. Better yet, own it. I don't feel the songs were sold much less owned.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:08 pm
Bets on how much more obnoxious this will get???

Roz, if anybody needs to not give performing career advice... Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:31 pm
Rockhead wrote:

RH

You don't know anything about my background or my work. I am more than qualified to give advice to amateurs.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:33 pm
As am I.

Care to continue being boorish?

:wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:33 pm
nothing obnoxious from me....sniping from the peanut gallery doesn't effect me... and Roxxxmanne is entitled to it's opinion.

I'd be interested in your constructive feedback though RH... positive or negative....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:36 pm
BPB, I still have not had time to really listen to it on any kind of sound but crap, but it was intriguing.

RH

I will get back tomorrow when I get a chance to breathe.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:20 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

RH

You don't know anything about my background or my work. I am more than qualified to give advice to amateurs.

And, you obviously know nothing of Bears work.

Immature.... maybe. But, amateur he's not.

I think he's mentioned a couple of times on this thread already that he did not choose the songs. It's a collaberative effort by request for a project.
0 Replies