Can I grow a plant from a flowerbud

Dartboy

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 02:29 am
I have a flower bud that hasnt opened yet, is it posible to grow a new plant from this flower? and if yes how so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 02:49 am
If there is a stem with nodes (places where the leaves would grow) then it may be possible to grow it as a cutting. This type of cutting is called a softwood cutting. If you research softwood cuttings you will find plenty of info.

The basics.
Remove the flowerbus from the stem. Cut the stem just below the bottom node
Place the stem into well drained sand, cover with clear plastic and keep well watered. It may take some time 12 months to set roots as the stem from a flowerbud is quite juvenile and needs to mature a little. Keep the container in a warm sunny position. Use of a heat bed is reccomended.

It is possible to tissue culture plants but thats one for a dedicated tissue culture laboratory.

if you have a plant that has unique properties it may be possible to contract the rights to grow.
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 03:01 am
any chance the flower could have seeds in it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:42 am
The "seeds" in a bud would be both immature and unfertilized.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
Dartboy wrote:
any chance the flower could have seeds in it?

If the flower was mature the seeds may be fertile however it would be some time until the seeds were mature enough to propogate.

I doubt that the flower could be kept alive long enoug for the fruit (seed capsule) to mature.

What kind of plant?
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
Trumpet Flower I think its called, i got another part of the plant so I can do cuttings
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:07 pm
Trumpet flower is a common description for flowers of many plants. Any chance of a photo?

Is it a vine or a shrub?
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:33 pm
The one im getting the cuttings and stuff off is a shrub. I found this picture from the internet which looks alot like it only the flowers are alot whiter on my one.

http://www.botos.com/hawaii2004/imgp1744rc_800.jpg
*This isnt my website*
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
Are there any willow trees near by you?

If so, take a small piece of bark from one.
Less then about 2 inches.

Cut that into tiny slivers and put just a little in the water that contains your cuttings.

Willow bark helps naturally speed up the rooting process, so your cutings will survive longer and have a better chance at survival
0 Replies