What is a Firestorms??

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:41 am
I was wondering,if someone could explain to me what is a firestorms ? i heard that it caused its own weather. how is it that a firestorms can destory like 15 houses but the one right beside them all,Is still standing and the green grass around the house.

Shocked thanks for yer input
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,741 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Jim

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:16 am
The first historical refernce to a firestorm I've come across was the firebombing of Hamburg in 43.

I imagine what you are referring to is when forest fires reach a certain size and temperature, the behavior changes to what you have described.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:23 am
(Welcome to A2K, Export_BCBuds! I hope you enjoy it here! :-D )
I'm not sure what story or context in which you've heard about firestorms, but maybe it's like this:

From www.dictionary.com
Quote:
fire·storm n. -- A fire of great size and intensity that generates and is fed by strong inrushing winds from all sides: the firestorm that leveled Hiroshima after the atomic blast.

The heat rises so fast, in such large quantity, that fresh, cool air is sucked in from the surrounding area with tremendous force, sometimes as fast as a hurricane, 50-150 mph! All that oxygen feeds the flames even more than before(!) creating even more heat rising, and faster wind rushing in to replace it.

It's strange, but a stream of air can act like a curtain or a solid wall. At the grocery store you may notice that some refrigerated cases push cold air out from vents at the top, and suck the air back in with vents at the bottom. A flat air-stream like that forms a curtain that keep hot air outside from entering the refrigerator case. It works! It's almost as good as a glass door or plastic curtain, but made of moving air!

When a firestorm really gets the wind going, it could be like a tornada passing through a mobile home park -- some homes get destroyed while another standing right next to it was not. It was cut off by air spinning so fast that it was just a wall. Or it could be like the center of a hurricane, where the air can be perfectly calm and still, with a wall of fast air spinning all around it.

Fire behaves very strangely sometimes, anyways. If you really want to know how weird it can be, just visit a firestation and ask a firefighter, or rent the movie Backdraft. Cool movie!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:33 am
From How Stuff Works

Quote:

Wind probably has the biggest impact on a wildfire's behavior. It also the most unpredictable factor. Winds supply the fire with additional oxygen, further dry potential fuel and push the fire across the land at a faster rate.

Dr. Terry Clark, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, has developed a computer model that shows how winds move on a small scale. Since 1991, he's been converting that model to include wildfire characteristics, such as fuel and heat exchange between fires and the atmosphere.

"We look at what's called coupled fire atmosphere dynamics, where the fire and the atmosphere interact with each other," Clark said. "We've been looking at how fires interact with the environment and getting some of the characteristics of fire spread and fire behavior, through the modeling that we've been doing."

Clark's research has found that not only does wind affect how the fire develops, but that fires themselves can develop wind patterns. When the fire creates its own weather patterns, they can feed back into how the fire spreads. Large, violent wildfires can generate winds, called fire whirls. Fire whirls, which are like tornadoes, result from the vortices created by the fire's heat. When these vortices are tilted from horizontal to vertical, you get fire whirls. Fire whirls have been known to hurl flaming logs and burning debris over considerable distances.

"There's another way that you can tilt the vorticity. That is it can be titled without breaking into fire whirls, and basically be burst forward into what's called hairpin vortices or forward bursts," Clark said. "These are quite common in crown fires [fires at the top of trees], and so you see fires licking up hill sides." Forward bursts can be 20 meters (66 feet) wide and shoot out 100 meters (328 feet) at a speed of 100 mph (161 kph). These bursts leave a scorched region and lead to fire spread.

The stronger the wind blows, the faster the fire spreads. The fire generates winds of its own that are as many as 10 times faster than the ambient wind. It can even throw embers into the air and create additional fires, an occurrence called spotting. Wind can also change the direction of the fire, and gusts can raise the fire into the trees, creating a crown fire.

You can read more details about wildfires at the same link. We had fire storms here in the Oakland hills a few years ago. It had some of the exact characteristics you describe...incinerating a group of homes while leaving one next to them unscathed.
0 Replies

Export BCBuds

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
Wow,guys thanks for all the info. the reason i was asking is that in the north of b.c. canada ,we got one of the worst fire in northern b.c. right now and i heard that we had a firestorm that cover a huge section of a city outshirts and destory over 250 homes but the pictures would show a house still with grass and all the rest destory and burn to the ground ..but after explaining from u guys ..i understand now thanks a bunch and i will be asking more quesation in the future ...im a curious pothead Razz
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:05 pm
Any time! Y'all come back now, hear?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:16 pm
We had one here in Eastern Wa a number of years ago - totally wierd!!! and bad stuff.
0 Replies