Has anyone had their elderly dog lose fur due to skin mites?

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:00 am
My 14 year old dog has recently begun to lose fur from his back legs. The veterinarian said it is due to mites which his immune system is having a hard time coping with due to his age. The vet prescribed Cipro & a medicinal dip after his bath. Has anyone else here ever experienced this with their dogs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:34 pm
Cipro med - way expensive choice
A friend of mine adds olive oil to his dog's food, which helps with (dry skin) and also adds debittered brewer's yeast. This supposedly helps make it far less pleasant for the mites. Also treat the irritated areas of skin (inside ears and legs) with an ointment or bathe to reduce irritation.

My laymen's understanding is that Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) is a very expensive (typically $2 USD per pill) choice for antibiotic. I see no history here as to why this med choice has been made. I'm not sure why the doctor isn't recommending a far less expensive antibiotic? Unless others have been tried and have failed to kill these mites, if I were you, I'd request a lower-priced effective antibiotic. I recall in 2001 that Cipro is the med recommended for Anthrax outbreaks. There are far less powerful and costly antibiotics that can do the job. Why use a nuke when a flyswatter can do it?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:10 pm
Yes, Ragman is right - Cipro is a very powerful antibiotic and I am
very surprised that your vet would prescribe such.

I have had several dogs who made it past 15 years, and never experienced any of this. If anything, a topical antibiotic would be much better in handling
any skin irritations.

Here are some more information
http://www.essortment.com/all/mangedogscats_rkon.htm
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-remedies-for-dogs-ga4.htm
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:50 pm
I'm really confused. Antibiotics don't work on mites, regardless of the type used. Also, I never saw a dog with mites due to an age-related immune system malfunction. I would assume you're talking about Demodex, but that is generally found in puppies with deficient immune response. If the mite is something other than that, your vet should probably be using an avermectin derivative. Regardless, something isn't right here. Either the diagnosis has become confused in the translation, or you may want to consider getting a second opinion, or both.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:16 pm
come back, please
Shyblonde: Pls, whatever you do, please keep us informed here of what you decide to do. You may not be aware of A2K, this is an animal-loving community with some pretty decent knowledge.

This story really is disconcerting to me...especially after what cowdoc just wrote .
0 Replies

shyblonde

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:09 am
I appreciate the concern, Ragman but I'm not disconcerted at the treatment recommended, however I am by the fact that an animal that I love dearly is in his declining years and experiencing uncomfortable symptoms.

The old boy is a large dog, an otterhound mix, and at 14 is in quite amazing health and fitness up until this recent fur/mite incident. The only health problem he's ever experienced has been a tendency towards ear infections. He not only has a heavy coat outward but his ears have an unusually large amount of hair inside which tends to collect and trap earwax & dirt. With this in mind, his ears are thoroughly cleaned regularly.

The skin problem erupted fairly quickly beginning with the fur loss on the back legs. In a matter of a day or so, small sores were beginning to show on the bare spots. I duly took him to the vet where the previous mentioned treatment was prescibed. The cipro was recommended as a precaution to any possible ear infection or secondary infection that may be coursing through him and compromising his immune system. The pills are $20.50 for 30 of them (Ciprofloxacin HCL). I gave him one Monday evening and one yesterday evening and already this morning the small sores and cracks have begun to clear up.

I was given Nusal-T Shampoo to bathe him with as well as a dip to follow up the treatment.

I appreciate all of the comments & suggestions made and thank you for taking the time to respond.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
doggie's better
Glad to see that your doggie got help from suffering.

I looked up Cipro script prices online and that was the info that I got. I guess my research was faulty and incomplete. sorry for the bum info.

In the future I'll dummy up about advising about pet meds and treatment ideas for sick animals. It's clear that I know not of what I speak when it comes to vet care.

Again my humble apologies.
0 Replies

shyblonde

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 01:06 pm
No problem and absolutely no need to apologize! I was impressed with the impassioned & knowledgable responses and found it good to know that you folks are willing to keep people on their toes!

I love the site & will be back!
0 Replies