Dancing Naked in Harvard Square

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm
SJC ruling's bad nudes for naked dancer
By Laurel J. Sweet | Friday, April 11, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

The naked truth has caught up to a free spirit who thought she had shed a 2005 felony charge of open and gross lewdness.

Dancing nude in Harvard Square to protest the commercialization of Christmas is not a constitutionally protected act of self-expression, the Supreme Judicial Court ruled yesterday.

The court reinstated the June 2005 lewdness charge against Ria Ora, saying her behavior was a potentially frightening and intimidating assault on the public's eyes.

"Every person has a legitimate right to express themselves as long as they do so within the law and in a way that does not infringe on the rights of the public, particularly our children," said Corey Welford, spokesman for Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone Jr.

The case, which had been dismissed by Cambridge District Court Judge Severlin B. Singleton III, will now proceed to trial.

"For her to be subject to a felony for what she did is kind of scary," said Ora's defense attorney, Daniel Beck.

The Herald was unable to reach the street-corner stripper, whose MySpace [website].com profile lists her as 31, of Cambridge, and a member of the Boston Society of Spontaneity, "a group of mostly strangers who get together for organized weirdness in public."

Beck said the summer Christmas backlash was an annual event. He was not certain who was behind it.

"It obviously got attention," he said.

Judge Singleton was of the opinion that the state's law against lascivious behavior - punishable by up to three years in state prison - violates the First Amendment because it is a "blanket prohibition against public nudity."

But the SJC found such a law is necessary to deter birthday-suit abusers from shocking "unsuspecting or unwilling persons, particularly children."

Asked what point Ora was trying to make about crass commercialization by taking off her clothes, Beck said, "I don't know, quite frankly."
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1086390
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 02:26 pm
Re: Dancing Naked in Harvard Square
Miller wrote:
The Herald was unable to reach the street-corner stripper, whose MySpace [website].com profile lists her as 31, of Cambridge, and a member of the Boston Society of Spontaneity, "a group of mostly strangers who get together for organized weirdness in public."

I have a love/hate relationship with Harvard Sq. I like the area, however it's filled with people who I'd love to push down stairs.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:47 pm
Most of the people hanging out around the T-entrance stink like they've never seen a bathtub.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:05 pm
Those don't bug me. It's the "Honk if you support XXX!" people - whatever the cause may be. Or the free hugs people and similar individuals that feel the need to get in people's face about things that make not an iota of a difference, just makes them feel better about themselves i suppose.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:22 pm
Quote:
But the SJC found such a law is necessary to deter birthday-suit abusers from shocking "unsuspecting or unwilling persons, particularly children."

being seen naked is "shocking" Shocked Laughing
if i don't want to see it , i can look in another direction - if i really want to . Laughing

we are being told by TV executives "to turn it off" if we don't like violent shows .
so what's the big deal here ? perhaps not enough violence being shown openly ?
hbg
0 Replies