With only one thing in common
They got the fire down below
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:17 am
Quote:
Sunday, April 13, 2008
MIT Confirms Laws of Physics Apply to Celebrities

In a discovery that is sure to rock large segments of America, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has confirmed that the laws that govern the physical properties of the universe apply equally to Celebrities and the rest of the population.

"We have found that gravity, for example, pulls grossly overloaded aircraft to earth at 9.9 meters per second squared," says MIT Professor Cyril H. Hutch, "and we have found this to be the case for Aliyah. Losing control of an airplane at night in hazy conditions when you are not instrument rated is often fatal, even for John F. Kennedy Jr. The very same gravity pulls equally on Cher's tits and anyone else's. It is a bad idea for anyone to ride with a shitfaced driver, even Princess Di. And no difference was found in the ignition temperature of Richard Pryor or any other person."

Professor Hutch added, "While the medical sciences are somewhat out of my field, I suspect that consuming obscene amounts of alcohol and drugs can kill the average human being at the same rate as, say, Chris Farley or Janis Joplin."

The Screen Actor's Guild responded with this brief statement. "We at the Screen Actor's Guild find MIT's conclusions extremely suspicious. Everyone knows that John F. Kennedy Jr. could do anything he set his mind to. Celebrities and star athletes aren't like the rest of us. If they were, we wouldn't adore them the way we do. They are unique beings in the universe."
http://www.brokennewz.com/displaystory.asp_Q_storyid_E_311mit
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:05 pm
I remember a discussion of containing a fire in a zero gee atmosphere in Larry Niven's Integral Trees. The story takes place in the smoke ring, a planetless gas torus created, by the stability of Lagrangian three body problem. In the story, a fire must be contained and nurtured in zero gee, consequently a flue must be created by forcing air over the combustion chamber since gravity is not available by off gas buoyancy. In addition the coals must be contained in a region by a wire grid. To some extent this whole description of the fire containment in this work of fiction reminded me of a zero g Rocket Stove..

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:35 pm
Larry Niven, one of my all time fave hard SF writers!
0 Replies

mngunim

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 02:51 am
Phoenix had it right

but its interesting to see how people think,
some got the approach of "things are like this because they work better this way"
as opposed to "they were like this at first, so we had to find a way to make them work for us"
I can only imagine what would happen if fire didn't go against gravity though. Confused
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:32 am
It's easy to make a fire "go against gravity"; a high pressure gas-fed flame can do just that.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
Chumly wrote:
It's easy to make a fire "go against gravity"; a high pressure gas-fed flame can do just that.

You'll also need to mechanically force the flue.

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:58 am
Nah, with oxy-acetylene you can fire upside-down, no flue needed.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:23 am
In zero g, combustion is supported only by the diffusion of the oxidant to the fuel. In a gravity field that oxidant is supplied by a draft. Similarly and oxyacetylene torch supplies that oxidant (oxy) mechanically along with the fuel (acetylene), so it can forcefully act against (and without) gravity.

Rap
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:12 am
It's the thrust of the projected gases (as supplied by tank pressure) from the nozzle that "allows" the flame to burn "upside-down".
0 Replies

mngunim

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:56 am
The movement of combustion products around the heat source in zero gravity are governed by molecular diffusion (which is much slower compared to transport rates in the presence of gravity). We might then expect fire not only to burn in a sphere but also to be less 'lively' in zero gravity.

Colour of the flame gives an indication of its temperature, blue is considered more hot that red and yellow. This explains why burning coals turn red, their flame yellow and welding torch fire is usually blue.

whoever said "there is more to it than it meets the eye" had a point
0 Replies

chama fiammetta

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@mngunim,
yes, fire goes against gravity. ever watched the slow burning of a rusted nail in a wall? the stain on the wall is also upwards.. i played with a circuit using the high voltage transformer of an old color television set. i wanted to see what color flames could be generated and what their temperatures was. one of the flames was black, so much so that i couldn't see through it and it had a thin deep violet edge. the thing is, the heat that came from it went side ways. i triple checked, also, the heat seemed different, very dry and far more intense. i now realize that hot air balloons for example, don't tell us all they should. maybe am naive.. but i think that fire holds the key to anti gravity? perhaps. anyway, i just wanted to say that not all kinds of fire go against gravity.
0 Replies