how can i apply for new italian citizenship

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:17 am
this is hanif khan. i am bangladeshi. i am working last two and half years in kuwait. but i want to apply for Italian citizenship and I want to get that, because I promise with my girl friend we getting merit and both are living in italy. last 13th february 2008 we already got merit. she is my dream girl and italy is my dream land. i got my dream girl now i want get my dream land. because i can't break my promise with her. now i am working in Kuwait and she is in Bangladesh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,160 • Replies: 1
No top replies

saab

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 07:49 am
ARE YOU MARRIED TO AN ITALIAN?
A foreigner married to an Italian citizen can apply for Italian citizenship six months after marriage if living in Italy, or three years after marriage if living abroad.
YOU DONĀ“T LIVE AND WORK IN ITALY
A foreign resident who isn't married to an Italian can apply for citizenship after ten years residence or after only four years if he is a European Union national, and stateless people resident in Italy and foreigners serving the Italian state can apply after five years.

In order to obtain Italian citizenship, you must apply to the Minister of the Interior ( Ministro degli Interni) through the mayor of the commune ( comune) where you live or through an Italian consulate abroad.

As with most things involving bureaucrats in Italy, the process of applying for and obtaining Italian citizenship is a long drawn out affair often taking years, which will stretch your patience beyond endurance. The documents required vary according to your situation and nationality (it's allegedly easier for those married to Italians) - up to 12 documents may be required, many of which must be on official paper ( bollo), translated by an official translator, authenticated or legalised. A list of the necessary documents is available from your local government office ( prefettura).After making an application, the authorities have 18 months to make a decision.
0 Replies